Well, fark.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Well, fark.

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Mar 2017, 7:46 pm

So, doing a spot of bunny-busting with the 12 gauge was going quite well, no.4 shot always work a treat on the little furry buggers. So I'm just minding my own business as I swiggity swooty my way across the paddock, I say 'allo to the local Herefords, they stand there like the snotty boneheads they are, so just pass them by.

And off in the distance, just as I'm standing there to silence my phone, a couple of cotton tails flicker up and down. A grin appears across my face as I tippity flippity to the fenceline, and wait for them to pop out. They were quite far for the shotty, closing in on a tad above 40M, so I swapped out the no.4 shot for BBs, and gave them about an inch of clearance to make sure I at least mortar the fluffy redcoats. Fired the right barrel, badda splat, it tumbles off into the fence and hangs in there. The other one dashes off like it's insurance has expired, I can't be arsed trying to lead it at that distance. Happy with seeing one of them tumble, I run over to where I thought it jiggity swiggity'd in it's happy dance. I'd left the shotgun broken open on a fence of course, thinking 'nah nah, just gonna go collect dis'. Seconds later, I see a bit of flattened grass and weed and this furry silhouette. The grin slid across my face once more as I got down flat and went to reach in and pull out my delectable little bunny, still excited from finally getting to retrieve one....and suddenly, a quiet sliver.

I froze and looked over, barely a bee's willy away is a tiger snake hiding in the grass. :wtf:

With an angry look.

And a fresh rabbit infront of it.

And I'm infront of it.

And I've got a grin dropping like Greece's GDP.

So, I slowly pull my hand away from this spontaneous spawning nope-rope, and begin to slowly reverse my arse back away from it, already thinking of who I'm not gonna include in my will if I get bit (sorry best friend). It rolled itself up into it's little curly turd of nope with it's tongue gently flickering. I'm certain it's gonna try to get me away from the kill. And after a full 3 and half mine-utes of pulling away, I finally manage to get up. I then proceed grab the shotty off the fence to run a minute mile back home, shutting it behind me. I slid down it just squeaking out 'Faaaaaaaaaaark"... :crazy:

I might go back there tomorrow and see if it's eaten the rabbit, I know I could have easily blasted the snake, but 1. They are protected. 2. I never considered it.

So for now, I'm just going to sit back with an apple cider and read about the History of Germany. :drinks:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Well, fark.

Post by AusTac » 30 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Came face to face with a brown snake a few weekends ago, not a nice feeling, added a compression bandage to the med kit that day
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 30 Mar 2017, 8:43 pm

Cool story.I can see it in my mind.I have a snake story or 3 heres one I am in the Army I am at Tully battle school in far north queensland the Sergeant D.S. places me on a log so I can let a off a few at the troops as they come into veiw so they can go through the contact drill.I look down and there is a snake coiled up in the log next to my arm.I ignore it then think we are about to start making noise and running around so I get out of concealment and walk down the trail to the Sergeant who yells at me which is normal.Then all decide to investigate and it ends up being a yellow belly black.We moved somewhere else and tried again.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm

There was a picture today in a paper where a mum took a pic of her young daughter and as she did she realised there was a 2m long Browny just sliding inches past her! :shock:

Bloody lucky the little one didn't see it and make a sudden move, may have ended very badly indeed.

Glad ya didn't get tagged by the way 303, I wouldn't imagine the melon would be a great place to get nailed. :thumbsup:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/45657 ... to/?cs=303
Last edited by bigfellascott on 31 Mar 2017, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Mar 2017, 10:35 pm

I see a fair few snakes in my neck of the woods, I'm not really bothered by them.

This year I've seen blacks, browns and a couple of taipans.

I think they're pretty cool.

That being said, I can fully understand having the siht scared out of you from a close up surprise encounter.... been there :lol:
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 30 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Mar 2017, 10:43 pm

Some of the brown snakes are very toxic like coastal taipans
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Mar 2017, 11:07 am

Sometimes the hunter can become the hunted........if he isn't careful. Checking the perimeter of a dam for pig sign became hazardous one morning.The grass cover was thick and well over ankle-height as I closed in on the perimeter but the noise of my approach alerted a red bellied black which was coiled up very close to the edge. The subtle, yet sudden appearance of a shade of red between the stalks and leaves was what alarmed me. Then there was the feeling of dread that had overcome me, combined with the certainty of knowing that to continue would involve terrible retribution. Fighting my instinct to flee, was an appalling denial of the situation which urged me to continue, a denial of which I was only barely aware but which I knew was both suicidal and comforting at the same time. Horror had taken control of my mind in a second. I denied myself that comfort that my jangled soul craved, for another second and though the snake had moved, mercifully it did not attack me in my slow, agonised retreat.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 31 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

I remember walking along the crest of a small sand hill checking burrows for inhabitants when all of a sudden I heard that very familiar throaty hiss, I looked down and a Brown sake had reared up at me only a couple of feet away :o .I instantly back peddled but the Browny wasn't content with that and the little..umm BIG s**t decided to chase me for about 5mts before turning around and sliding backinto a burrow. I have never been chased like that before and all I can say is he must have been VERY pissed off.
Thats why I never put my hand down a burrow (especially during the warmer months) to retrieve rabbits.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 31 Mar 2017, 4:38 pm

my sister in law found a copper head living under a box in her garage in a suburban torquay home.

gave her quite a fright
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Mar 2017, 8:10 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Sometimes the hunter can become the hunted........if he isn't careful. Checking the perimeter of a dam for pig sign became hazardous one morning.The grass cover was thick and well over ankle-height as I closed in on the perimeter but the noise of my approach alerted a red bellied black which was coiled up very close to the edge. The subtle, yet sudden appearance of a shade of red between the stalks and leaves was what alarmed me. Then there was the feeling of dread that had overcome me, combined with the certainty of knowing that to continue would involve terrible retribution. Fighting my instinct to flee, was an appalling denial of the situation which urged me to continue, a denial of which I was only barely aware but which I knew was both suicidal and comforting at the same time. Horror had taken control of my mind in a second. I denied myself that comfort that my jangled soul craved, for another second and though the snake had moved, mercifully it did not attack me in my slow, agonised retreat.

Yep ran into a few Redbellies recently on a few pig hunting trips. :D

This one a mate and I were standing looking at a tree when my mate looked down to see this big arse redbelly about a mtr from us just sitting there looking at us.

This one I spotted near the dam we were looking for pigs at
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tom Foolery » 31 Mar 2017, 8:39 pm

Had a red belly black snake slither between my daughters legs one day while she was sitting reading a book. I didn't see it till it was half way through so just had to bite my tongue and hope she didn't notice. She didn't even batt an eyelid until I said "See that tail in the bush over there... " :o

On another note, if you haven't already discovered Andrew Uncles unique brand of insanity, check out "How to catch a rabbit using snakes " https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... PbSfjF8BWw
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 01 Apr 2017, 9:36 am

Tom Foolery wrote:Had a red belly black snake slither between my daughters legs one day while she was sitting reading a book. I didn't see it till it was half way through so just had to bite my tongue and hope she didn't notice. She didn't even batt an eyelid until I said "See that tail in the bush over there... " :o

On another note, if you haven't already discovered Andrew Uncles unique brand of insanity, check out "How to catch a rabbit using snakes " https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... PbSfjF8BWw

Yeah I saw that, hes nuts for sure.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2017, 9:09 pm

When I lived in Sth Aus I was watering a line of young trees that I'd planted with a hose coupled to a water tank in a trailer.
Each tree had a guard made out of concrete reinforcing mesh around it to keep cattle away from the tree.

The grass was quite thick within each guard.

I had poked the hose in toward the base of the tree, and turned the tank tap on. (cold water straight from the bore)
After a few minutes I returned, and bent over to pick up the hose.

As I did so I felt a sudden air movement against the right side of my face.

It was a large and angry tiger snake that had just struck at me, and must have only missed by 1/2 an inch.

That scared the bejesus out of me that day,,,,,,, too close for comfort.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 01 Apr 2017, 9:22 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:Had a red belly black snake slither between my daughters legs one day while she was sitting reading a book. I didn't see it till it was half way through so just had to bite my tongue and hope she didn't notice. She didn't even batt an eyelid until I said "See that tail in the bush over there... " :o

Gee that would have got the adrenaline going, lucky she didn't see it. :shock:

I've caught snakes before (never while holding another one though :wtf: ) but, three in one hand and one in the other :o :crazy: Quite a bit more of a risky method than using ferrets :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2017, 9:23 pm

Here's another one,,,,,,
443.png
443.png (530.43 KiB) Viewed 9208 times
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by shapeshifter » 09 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm

That's it! I got the hee be jeebies! I quit!

Guns for sale... going cheap!
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 28 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Went out for some deer stalking over the weekend. Did the usual walk a million miles and saw nothing until we gave up and headed back only to have a nice looking doe jump out of some bracken. Us with shouldered rifles and not paying attention didn't even get a shot away.

So there we were cursing our own stupidity walking the last couple hundred metres back to the car and €#(! #@$« I almost stepped on the biggest, fattest black snake ever. :wtf:

Anyway it was nice being out in the bush. Except for the leeches.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2017, 8:33 pm

Don't worry, leaches don't eat much. :o
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

Red belly blacks, although being territorial, are usually a pretty docile species, and unless you stir them up or tread on one
they won't bother you.
They tend to stick very close to their particular home without traveling far afield.
If you leave them alone, you can quite regularly see them in the same area year after year.

They are quite good to have around, especially if in the general area of your house or sheds, because they do actually seek
out/hunt small tiger snakes and devour them.
So where there are red belly blacks, the tiger snake population won't be very high.

And I know which of these species I would much prefer to have around. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 May 2017, 11:41 am

Phact,, (Fact) or Photo Shop ????

:unknown:
snake[1].jpg
snake[1].jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 7361 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Tom Foolery » 01 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Looks real enough for me.

Die Judicii wrote:Red belly blacks, although being territorial, are usually a pretty docile species, and unless you stir them up or tread on one
they won't bother you.

That's a good thing based on recent experiences. I tend to see alot of red bellies and no tigers. I like it that way.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 26 Mar 2018, 10:46 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7244 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7244 times

Went and checked my trail cam on the motorbike. I was already back at the bike before a I spotted a black snake. Didn't realise they were two. I'd had a good look when I pulled up. But didn't see anything. Was half shade/sun. Didn't see second black snake til I moved the bike. I was watching the first one. Pictures probably aren't the clearist. The hard to see snake is near the back of the bike. Some how I doubled up the first pic?? With the bike.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 7244 times
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Mar 2018, 11:20 am

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2018, 12:58 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:It's not just rude to point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6IrzbyU8g

Idiots
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 26 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

Heckler, you’ve got my vote for seeing a tiger while holding a shotgun and not shooting it. More self control than me. They’re beautiful animals but they scare the crap out out of me.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

bentaz wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:It's not just rude to point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6IrzbyU8g

That's gold!

I wouldn't be worried about black snakes, they're basically harmless :drinks:

I'm with you there, I quite like the Blacks, there's a 6 footer been living in the creek just down the hill from the house for the last few years that gave me a bit of a brown moment last year when I walked up on him without seeing him till the last minute, I froze, he checked me out for a second and gave me a sniff with the tongue-flick, then casually went his own way.
Tigers on the other hand, I detest like politicians. I used to live about 10km away over on the other side of the property with my Mum for a while after a head-on with a semi left me a little worse for wear, and it was crawling with the buggers, killed a couple of my dogs, they'd come in to the house, found them in the bathroom, the lounge room, my Mum woke me at sparrow fart one morning yelling from on top of the kitchen table after one came out from under the fridge and had a go at her.
I got struck by one as I was getting out of the car one day, I'd parked over the top of him, but I had Carhartt heavy canvas overalls on so all it did was fill my duds.
I wont touch Tigers or Eastern Browns out in the paddock, but come in my yard where my little old dog lives and I introduce them to my old Sportco single barrel. :silent:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 27 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

The Tigers and Browns are definitely deadly and aggressive the browns super quick. The black while I agree are much more docile and I would leave alone away from the house esp with that bit of information about them eating baby tigers. About 25 years ago I was out the back walking on the dam bank this black snake came up the bank and was moving quick directly towards me. I stared to walk back and it kept on coming, I had to turn and make a run for it. once off the dam bank I looked around and it was heading down the other side of the bank and into the water. Never had a snake come towards me like that before or since.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 27 Mar 2018, 2:32 pm

Had a similar experience with a black snake in a dam. Sitting next to a fishing rod and the thong came right at me out of the water...

Also once knew a bloke who had been bitten by a black snake in his early years and completely lost his sense of smell. Not entirly harmless but I'm less concerned about them than brown snakes. Brownies are psychopathic.
Generally find tigers to be quite timid and happier to move off than get narcy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 27 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

Mate I was riding my horse up the hill in the back paddock and I could hear this rattle and hissing, I looked over and it must have been 20 ft away this tiger curled up on top of a fallen tree its head raised and hissing and its tail also raised like a rattle snake. I don't expect anyone to believe me as I wouldn't either unless I had heard and seen it for myself.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 22 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

I would rather be bitten by a ferret I reckon.
Heard on the car radio today that three people got snake bitten in VIC over the weekend, early in the season and the buggers are waking up cranky.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey