Well, fark.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Well, fark.

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

Red belly blacks, although being territorial, are usually a pretty docile species, and unless you stir them up or tread on one
they won't bother you.
They tend to stick very close to their particular home without traveling far afield.
If you leave them alone, you can quite regularly see them in the same area year after year.

They are quite good to have around, especially if in the general area of your house or sheds, because they do actually seek
out/hunt small tiger snakes and devour them.
So where there are red belly blacks, the tiger snake population won't be very high.

And I know which of these species I would much prefer to have around. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 May 2017, 11:41 am

Phact,, (Fact) or Photo Shop ????

:unknown:
snake[1].jpg
snake[1].jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 7356 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Tom Foolery » 01 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Looks real enough for me.

Die Judicii wrote:Red belly blacks, although being territorial, are usually a pretty docile species, and unless you stir them up or tread on one
they won't bother you.

That's a good thing based on recent experiences. I tend to see alot of red bellies and no tigers. I like it that way.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 26 Mar 2018, 10:46 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7239 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7239 times

Went and checked my trail cam on the motorbike. I was already back at the bike before a I spotted a black snake. Didn't realise they were two. I'd had a good look when I pulled up. But didn't see anything. Was half shade/sun. Didn't see second black snake til I moved the bike. I was watching the first one. Pictures probably aren't the clearist. The hard to see snake is near the back of the bike. Some how I doubled up the first pic?? With the bike.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 7239 times
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Mar 2018, 11:20 am

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2018, 12:58 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:It's not just rude to point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6IrzbyU8g

Idiots
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 26 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

Heckler, you’ve got my vote for seeing a tiger while holding a shotgun and not shooting it. More self control than me. They’re beautiful animals but they scare the crap out out of me.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

bentaz wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:It's not just rude to point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6IrzbyU8g

That's gold!

I wouldn't be worried about black snakes, they're basically harmless :drinks:

I'm with you there, I quite like the Blacks, there's a 6 footer been living in the creek just down the hill from the house for the last few years that gave me a bit of a brown moment last year when I walked up on him without seeing him till the last minute, I froze, he checked me out for a second and gave me a sniff with the tongue-flick, then casually went his own way.
Tigers on the other hand, I detest like politicians. I used to live about 10km away over on the other side of the property with my Mum for a while after a head-on with a semi left me a little worse for wear, and it was crawling with the buggers, killed a couple of my dogs, they'd come in to the house, found them in the bathroom, the lounge room, my Mum woke me at sparrow fart one morning yelling from on top of the kitchen table after one came out from under the fridge and had a go at her.
I got struck by one as I was getting out of the car one day, I'd parked over the top of him, but I had Carhartt heavy canvas overalls on so all it did was fill my duds.
I wont touch Tigers or Eastern Browns out in the paddock, but come in my yard where my little old dog lives and I introduce them to my old Sportco single barrel. :silent:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 27 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

The Tigers and Browns are definitely deadly and aggressive the browns super quick. The black while I agree are much more docile and I would leave alone away from the house esp with that bit of information about them eating baby tigers. About 25 years ago I was out the back walking on the dam bank this black snake came up the bank and was moving quick directly towards me. I stared to walk back and it kept on coming, I had to turn and make a run for it. once off the dam bank I looked around and it was heading down the other side of the bank and into the water. Never had a snake come towards me like that before or since.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 27 Mar 2018, 2:32 pm

Had a similar experience with a black snake in a dam. Sitting next to a fishing rod and the thong came right at me out of the water...

Also once knew a bloke who had been bitten by a black snake in his early years and completely lost his sense of smell. Not entirly harmless but I'm less concerned about them than brown snakes. Brownies are psychopathic.
Generally find tigers to be quite timid and happier to move off than get narcy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 27 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

Mate I was riding my horse up the hill in the back paddock and I could hear this rattle and hissing, I looked over and it must have been 20 ft away this tiger curled up on top of a fallen tree its head raised and hissing and its tail also raised like a rattle snake. I don't expect anyone to believe me as I wouldn't either unless I had heard and seen it for myself.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 22 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

I would rather be bitten by a ferret I reckon.
Heard on the car radio today that three people got snake bitten in VIC over the weekend, early in the season and the buggers are waking up cranky.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

My grandson spotted this one last weekend

[attachment=0]tiger snake.jpg
Attachments
tiger snake.jpg
tiger snake.jpg (231.22 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2018, 6:08 pm

I've never seen a tiger snake OB but they talk how fast the brown is well mate I can tell you the Taipan is twice as fast
and far more aggressive the taipan is scared of nothing or nobody it's a reptile to well and truly stay away from where possible
A local farmer up here was chipping cane for weeds and he saw the taipan 30m away and took no notice of it the next thing its 2m
away standing up.5m high all he had was a chipping hoe and he struck at the snake and missed the snake lunged forward and hit him just
below the knee he said the hit was like being hit with a piece of garden hose across the shin
The only reason he survived was a council crew was working on a bridge 200m away and heard him yelling for help
he was in a coma for 10 days as he had travelled 70klm to hospital and was almost unconscious when arriving his leg shrunk by 25mm
over the years his smell was completely gone he lost most of his hearing eye sight diminished by over half, no taste at all couldn't sit down to a meal
could only pick as his stomach couldn't cope he became very frail as the years went by but his life was ruined the day of the bite
so you may survive a taipan bite but it's not over there this happening was close and personal as I knew the man well
with other snakes i'm not sure but I think you almost fully recover but that would depend on how quick you receive medical help
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 22 Oct 2018, 6:20 pm

well if we are sharing snake stories,,, a long time ago (20+ years) there was a young ,handsome (some would say dashing) man that heard the call of nature and as young men are wont to do, was answering the call of nature in some bushes,. this fine young man had just ,,how do you say "release the beast from its confinement "without sounding big headed? (pun intended) when he spied a hole in the ground that was just the right size for a large rabbit or a miniature fox .(sydney fox rescue are now breeding these so they can be carried around in a hand bag) the brave young man had just started unleashing what could be called a raging torrent and thought to himself that this could be a test of his manhood ie: fill the hole before said torrent ran out.. our hero ,for surely by now we can call him such,, had just started to move his stream to attempt his heroic deed when he felt a bump upon his left thong clad foot and then a weight across said thong clad foot,,it was not a heavy weight and it was not cold slimy scaly weight, ,more a warm loving mothers hand type of weight,,our now slightly perplexed hero looked down at his thong clad left foot wondering whose mother had followed him and was now laying her hand on his thong clad foot.
dear reader,can you imagine our young hero's dismay when he discovered that it wasn't a mothers hand or in fact any hand at all that was upon his thong clad foot.. it was instead a creature of nightmare a horror straight from bowels of hell itself and it looked like it wanted to return to said hell via the rabbit hole
not wanting to impede the legless demon on its way home or to anger it by spraying slightly acidic water all over it our hero clamped down on his still raging torrent in a convulsive grip (know only to pitbulls and crocodiles) silencing said torrent in a nanosecond,,just as a side note, this causes intense pain,, so much so, that tears will occur in the manliest of men ,, so the spawn from hell went on its merry four foot way back to the underworld ,dragging its now corpse like weight over our teary manhood mangled hero's foot,,,i would like to say our hero calmly finished his business and strolled back to his awaiting companions ,,sadly he did not,,as when the last of the beasts tail had slid of his foot, our not so much brave hero released his death grip on an altogether nicer snake and high footed (as in knees to the chest) out of there, spraying not a small amount of foul smelling liquid upon his person while emitting high pitched winny sounds.

or the short version,,went for a leak,snake,ran away screaming :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Oct 2018, 7:05 pm

I think snake is the only creature that can reduce the manliest of men into 5 year old whiney girls in a matter of nano seconds.

Good story mate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey