Some good news for WA hunters

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Some good news for WA hunters

Post by Farmjer » 03 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm

I know you guys in WA get the short end of the stick in a lot of ways with your gun laws over there.

This was recently published in the sporting shooters mag, hopefully some good news for you guys if it comes off...

A committee to investigate the viability of hunting on public land in Western Australia will be set up after Shooters and Fishers Party MLC Rick Mazza successfully moved the motion in the Upper House yesterday.

Mr Mazza had flagged the idea of hunting on public land previously, causing a stir in the Parliament of one of the remaining Australia states and territories where there is no provision for it.

However, an amendment was made to that original motion to form a committee to investigate the viability of introducing recreational hunting on public land rather than approve or dismiss the motion.

“I’m very pleased, this is the first step,” Mr Mazza told Sporting Shooter. “I congratulate the members in the Upper House who supported the idea of a committee because there was a real chance that the original motion would have been opposed.

“Now a committee can investigate the proposal and get back to Parliament next year and we’ll revisit the original motion then.”

Mr Mazza said that members saw the environmental and economic benefits of allowing recreational hunters to target feral animals in WA state forests.

However, he said that the committee would take a close look at all aspects before making a decision.

“We will investigate Victoria’s system, look at Tasmania and also have a good look at New Zealand. It will depend on which way the committee goes, but I think they will find that a regulated system does work and provides benefits to the community.

“The main concern is safety. They can see the benefits in the reduction of pest animals and the economic benefits with hunters spending money in country towns as well as the cost savings in pest reduction.

“But safety is the area that will need to be addressed even though we know that incidents in Australia are very low. Shark attacks are a one in two million chance and we’ve had nine in the last few years. We certainly haven’t had that many firearms incidents.

“So I don’t expect that the committee will find the risk to be too high.”

Taking a leaf out of Victoria's book, those guys have got it pretty good there :)
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Some good news for WA hunters

Post by pmomd » 03 Dec 2013, 1:51 pm

Farmjer wrote:I know you guys in WA get the short end of the stick in a lot of ways with your gun laws over there.

Indeed we do.

Fingers crossed this goes well then.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by fuggle » 03 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

Farmjer wrote:I know you guys in WA get the short end of the stick in a lot of ways with your gun laws over there.

Is it right that spent brass is considered "ammunition" in WA?
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

Would probably be easier to just move to Victoria :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rainwalker » 04 Dec 2013, 12:07 pm

Don't want to be a downer but NSW had similar "potential good news" with hunting in national parks.

That fell over quick smart though :(

Fingers crossed WA have better luck with positive changes.
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by heeple » 07 Dec 2013, 7:56 am

fuggle wrote:Is it right that spent brass is considered "ammunition" in WA?

Surely not...

*face palm*
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Press » 08 Dec 2013, 12:15 pm

Lorgar wrote:Would probably be easier to just move to Victoria :P

Yeah, just move here :D

We got the best deal of the states it seems.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by buster » 08 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

heeple wrote:
fuggle wrote:Is it right that spent brass is considered "ammunition" in WA?

Surely not...

*face palm*

Someone from WA must know... That would be a joke if it's right...
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brian-p » 25 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

Yes , spent brass, in fact all re-loading components, is classed as ammunition here in WA.(Wankers writing legislation), yet at most ranges that I have sot at here were littered with spent brass. All components must be stored n the same way as live ammunition .
brian-p
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by jeebo » 28 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

brian-p wrote:most ranges that I have shot at here were littered with spent brass.

And they're not exploding all over the place? That's strange... :lol:
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey