Rifles in a boat

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Rifles in a boat

Post by WayneO » 27 Apr 2017, 4:05 pm

Anyone here know the rules about transporting rifles in a boat from one bank of the lake to the other?
Logic says keep the rifle unloaded in a bag and keep the ammo on your belt. However that is logic and as we all know, laws are very often far from logic.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rifles in a boat

Post by AusTac » 27 Apr 2017, 4:27 pm

I'm not a lawyer but i would have thought this would come under sectiom 126 of the act

Worth a google
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2017, 5:03 pm

G'day WayneO,
Car, boat or bike, transport is transport and our laws don't discriminate. If it is a public place, keep it covered and unloaded, detachable magazines should be empty. From most bitter experience tie your rifle in to the boat, (which I did in my canoe) and DON"T leave the bolt sitting in the top of your OPEN pack! Packs float, bolt's don't, somewhere in the Edwards, near Bellpool, there is a Ruger 77 bolt.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 27 Apr 2017, 5:44 pm

I hear those high country Mexican mountain trout can be aggressive, best keep it loaded and handy to reach :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 28 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 28 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

Thanks Guys
So rifle in the gun bag and ammo in the backpack. I thought that was the case, but then found the rules about shooting with a shotgun from a vessel and was left wondering.

Yes pomemax that is exactly what I had in mind.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 28 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

Shooting in riparian areas gets a bit funny leagley if you have land permision. Where You may get unstuck drift to far down river or shoot on wrong bank most land boarders are the banks of rivers, not sure who is in controll of rivers but i think you may need some advice on this let me know how you get on it looks like fun
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey