Strategies to find places to hunt

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Strategies to find places to hunt

Post by FlyingStick » 28 Apr 2017, 5:52 pm

Hi guys.

I'm currently putting in a solid effort to find some places to hunt. I'm not after any animal specifically, undergunned for deer ATM so smaller game I guess.

From what I understand, I have a few options.

1. Private Property - this one is hard. I have a couple of friends I'm waiting on to go for a trip, I currently have no contacts of my own however.

2. State forests - I've tried a couple. Tough going, and they're dense.

3. Crown land, either leased with permission or unoccupied.

So. My questions. Regarding private land. I know I need to door knock. What are your strategies? Some of these places have long ass driveways and gates. Do you just drive up to the house? What have you found works well? I know the usual - dress neatly, I'm told having the family with you helps? Suggestions for good areas, north of Melb?

State forests. Are there any that can be walked through? Open areas?

Crown land. So I was recommended a place the other day. Land owner unknown but they had no idea who owned the land. I did my research and rang a good 5 people to find it was leased to a plantation company. Spoke to them and received a prompt flat no (and there is no way in hell im risking it). Is looking for leased crown land and gaining permission OR finding vacant crown land worth the trouble?

Any help appreciated! I'm all sighted in, rdy to go!

Cheers!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Strategies to find places to hunt

Post by Daddybang » 28 Apr 2017, 5:57 pm

Mate try having a beer at the pubs close to where you want to hunt. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2017, 6:01 pm

I've only ever knocked on doors and asked the question, I've also seen farmers on tractors and got chatting to them and asked the question and even got a property by letting a farmer pass by on a one way bridge (he stopped to say thanks and we got chatting and I mentioned I was heading to one of his neighbours places to shoot a few foxes and he said your welcome to come here and shoot too!

I can't say I've had any real issues ever getting properties to hunt on. Just knock on the door and ask the question is my advice, don't go dressed in camo or any other crap like it, don't roll up with a heap of mates or dogs etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Apr 2017, 7:23 pm

Knock knock has always been my approach. Ive been most successful when I've been lucky enough to spot the farmer in the paddock. They seem to be much more open than when they are standing in their doorway.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Apr 2017, 8:21 pm

Daddybang wrote:Mate try having a beer at the pubs close to where you want to hunt. :drinks:

This works.
Also not that its really a tactic you can use but the best property I hunt I got onto by being approcahed by the farmer at the local bakery, i think I was wearing a hunting shirt at the time whilst taking a break from hunting another spot.
From there I met his neighbour, and his mate and then some other hunters...
Bigjobss

Post by duncan61 » 29 Apr 2017, 8:38 pm

I asked around my local range and got heaps of land
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by FlyingStick » 30 Apr 2017, 9:11 am

Thanks guys. Got a bit to go try. To be honest - I'm not much of a drinker so although the pub idea sounds great, I wouldn't have a clue how to approach the subject in a pub :)

I think I will give door knocking a go first and see how I go.

How do you guys know if the place you're knocking at is big enough? Or is it just ask and see?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2017, 10:41 am

"I think I will give door knocking a go first and see how I go."

That's what I do.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Apr 2017, 4:54 pm

FlyingStick wrote:Thanks guys. Got a bit to go try. To be honest - I'm not much of a drinker so although the pub idea sounds great, I wouldn't have a clue how to approach the subject in a pub :)

How do you guys know if the place you're knocking at is big enough? Or is it just ask and see?

Easy, just appraoch the roughest looking bloke in the pub and give him a wink and ask if he would like to join you for a drink :sarcasm:

Seeing as your a fellow Victorian you can do a bit of recon by getting a basic property report before you knock, it will give you enough info. It only takes a couple minutes.
http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landcha ... sIntro.jsp

Google maps will also help with vegetation and structure and for topography I use my GPS and these maps, not free but very good.
http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/im ... 0Front.jsp
Bigjobss

Post by PoorShot300 » 04 May 2017, 5:33 pm

FlyingStick wrote:Thanks guys. Got a bit to go try. To be honest - I'm not much of a drinker so although the pub idea sounds great, I wouldn't have a clue how to approach the subject in a pub :)

The best advice i've seen so far...ask at your local range...sure it may be in the 'city'...but how many might own their own places you might get an invite to?...

Two pluses, closer than going to the farmer's door (save $$ = more ammo :twisted: ) and it's just a good excuse to get to the range... :mrgreen:

Not to discount previous suggestions, but imo this would be 'my' starting point, and no drinking required :P . :thumbsup:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MrFishimus » 05 May 2017, 2:47 pm

Sounds like all good advice blokes, I'm off to door knock soon myself. I'm in QLD so now crown land hunting for me :(
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 07 May 2017, 8:44 am

churchs in the area have fund raiseing and great to meet locals offer to trade some labor it will go a long way.
best thing is to not jump right into asking let them get to no you a little
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Brute » 15 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I think I will give door knocking a go first and see how I go."

That's what I do.

How often do you find someone who's interested out of curiosity.

1 out of 10 people or what?
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 15 Jun 2017, 4:48 pm

Brute wrote:

That's what I do.

Funny you ask!

Took the family away to the in laws holiday house this weekend. Took a google maps detour to get there (sometimes it takes you some weird ways but sometimes you discover a gem!) and we ended up driving through some absolutely stunning properties in the hills.

I stopped to talk to a lovely lady who was taking care of her horses on a tiny patch of property and we got talking. Had the kids in the back who were enjoying her horses and long story cut short I ended up at the neighbours door to have a chat. He was a great bloke and enjoyed the chat and came over and saw the little ones - he was more than happy to swap details and let me go on for a hunt whenever I want. Had a quick walk of the prop one morning and saw a s**t ton of rabbits running across a lane along the property and into his fields - seems they like hiding in the bushes on his fence. Didn't get anything and didn't let more than a couple shots off, however I will definitely get out there under lights now I know the place!

Long story cut short, first time I've ever asked and I was rewarded! He was more appreciative of the fact that I spoke to him man to man and asked rather than jump his fences without permission. Gotta get out there in the next few weeks!

I will definitely be trying to speak to more property owners now.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jun 2017, 5:18 pm

FlyingStick wrote:
Brute wrote:

That's what I do.

Funny you ask!

Took the family away to the in laws holiday house this weekend. Took a google maps detour to get there (sometimes it takes you some weird ways but sometimes you discover a gem!) and we ended up driving through some absolutely stunning properties in the hills.

I stopped to talk to a lovely lady who was taking care of her horses on a tiny patch of property and we got talking. Had the kids in the back who were enjoying her horses and long story cut short I ended up at the neighbours door to have a chat. He was a great bloke and enjoyed the chat and came over and saw the little ones - he was more than happy to swap details and let me go on for a hunt whenever I want. Had a quick walk of the prop one morning and saw a s**t ton of rabbits running across a lane along the property and into his fields - seems they like hiding in the bushes on his fence. Didn't get anything and didn't let more than a couple shots off, however I will definitely get out there under lights now I know the place!

Long story cut short, first time I've ever asked and I was rewarded! He was more appreciative of the fact that I spoke to him man to man and asked rather than jump his fences without permission. Gotta get out there in the next few weeks!

I will definitely be trying to speak to more property owners now.

Great news mate look after him and no doubt you will get other properties as a result of getting to know him. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control