New to be shooter - Q&A Please help clear the air

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to be shooter - Q&A Please help clear the air

Post by Skitz » 03 May 2017, 10:48 pm

Hey guys, Skitz here! :thumbsup:

I am applying for my firearms license CAT A&B in Victoria, currently in the process of filling in the form in advance before the safety course. I have a firearms license for security, so iv'e done plenty of forms for LRD and I know them to be quite frustrating and confusing at times.
Wanting to become a shooter for Recreation and hunting.

I'll try to make it short and sweet!

Genuine reason - Recently joined SSAA and have a mate willing to write me up a letter to shoot on his land and another mate said don't worry about that and get your game license... What should I do, all 3? Seems excessive, plus i know the boys at LRD get easily confused :wtf:

PTA - Recently went into a gun store and placed a deposit on 2 firearms both CAT A, dealer gave me PTA with nothing but my personal details and for both guns just Crossed the CAT A category on it, not adding any of his details or details of gun and told me to send this off with my application in same envelope so I dont wait extra 28 days... Is this true and valid?

Thank you in advance for future replies, I will check in day to day to see if this progresses.
FYI - Getting the Marlin XT 22 and Adler A110 to start off with until im ready for the good old 223 and 308 rifles.

Cheers boys :drinks:
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to be shooter - Q&A Please help clear the air

Post by Gun-nut » 03 May 2017, 10:54 pm

For the genuine reason, the ssaa membership and game licence should cover everything. Because we live in Vic we can legally hunt on crown land without 'permission' from the government like in other states. As for the pta, I'm not too sure as to why the dealer didn't fill out any details about the firearm, this is mandatory I believe for your firearm to be registered. If does turn out to be valid anyway, for our next firearm purchases you won't have to wait the full 28 days, you just send it off and wait minutes.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skitz » 03 May 2017, 11:30 pm

Cheers Gun-nut! Appreciate the info.

I'll take your word and get the game license ontop of my existing SSAA membership, as for mates property ill just go there and shoot when ever?

As for pta not to sure but is it necessary to put details down for cat a guns maybe? or i think i read a while ago they dont put dealer details down so you can shop anywhere for guns without waiting for pta to process as long... s**t i have no idea, might just send it off.. she'll be alright haha
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 May 2017, 11:59 pm

PTA - easy.
Cat A doesn't need details. It will be registered when you pick the gun from the dealer, but PTA itself is pretty bare for Cat A. Cat B needs a caliber, that's about it (again, it gets fully registered when you pick it up).

Game permit - you will need one if you want to hunt deer, everything else - as gun-nut said. But I wouldn't get the permit until you are ready, i.e. no need to pay for wasted time. But, for deer you definitely need a game permit.

That said, to get you started, SSAA is enough with genuine reason being target shooting. However, to make it target shooting AND hunting (there are two options, get them from the start), you should get the letter from your mate and SSAA membership details. That way you are covering all bases. I'd personally do that. If your mate falls through, then you can pay $15 I believe to DPI or Game Management Authority or whoever it is - I am sure someone else will point you in the right direction and they will print you a 'letter of intent, to hunt pest animals'. This is enough for hunting in general (minus deer).
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Skitz » 04 May 2017, 12:10 am

Everything I needed to know man cheers! :drinks: :friends:
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 12:30 am

Skitz wrote:Hey guys, Skitz here! :thumbsup:

I am applying for my firearms license CAT A&B in Victoria, currently in the process of filling in the form in advance before the safety course. I have a firearms license for security, so iv'e done plenty of forms for LRD and I know them to be quite frustrating and confusing at times.
Wanting to become a shooter for Recreation and hunting.

I'll try to make it short and sweet!

Genuine reason - Recently joined SSAA and have a mate willing to write me up a letter to shoot on his land and another mate said don't worry about that and get your game license... What should I do, all 3? Seems excessive, plus i know the boys at LRD get easily confused :wtf:

PTA - Recently went into a gun store and placed a deposit on 2 firearms both CAT A, dealer gave me PTA with nothing but my personal details and for both guns just Crossed the CAT A category on it, not adding any of his details or details of gun and told me to send this off with my application in same envelope so I dont wait extra 28 days... Is this true and valid?

Thank you in advance for future replies, I will check in day to day to see if this progresses.
FYI - Getting the Marlin XT 22 and Adler A110 to start off with until im ready for the good old 223 and 308 rifles.

Cheers boys :drinks:

In Victoria the only genuine reason you need for Cat A/B is an "Expression of interest to hunt pest animals on crown land" - $14.50 I think. For deer or ducks you also need the relevant game licence.

For the PtA's, I bought two rifles the same day I put in my licence application, one online and the other from my local. My local did both PtA's online when the rifles arrived and I picked them up 40 days later when my licence came through - I never even saw a PtA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 04 May 2017, 7:34 am

And so it begins! You'll have a bunch of guns and be living pay check to pay check trying to afford accessories and ammo in no time haha
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 04 May 2017, 9:47 am

Firearm safes hold half the stated capacity so buy one 4 times bigger then the intended number of firearms you plan to purchase :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 04 May 2017, 9:55 am

Re safes - at least 4. But really, go with the biggest you can afford.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 6:08 pm

sungazer wrote:Go the largest you have room for or the wife will give you room for. You can always put other valuables in there too.

Might not be a good idea.
I'm sure I read somewhere (?) that at least one state you are not allowed to keep anything in there but firearms - basically there should be no reason to be opening the safe except to get a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 6:57 pm

Bugger all this advice on safes; start digging your bunker now and order a few cubes of conc.. :lol:
No matter how big your first safe is, 90% chance you'll want a bigger one in a couple of years! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gun-nut » 04 May 2017, 10:37 pm

sungazer wrote:I miss the Doomsday Prepers TV show. Some of those showed some really bad gun handling and quite a few gun related injuries.

Don't they still play it on 7 mate? Damn that show was hilarious, I'd sit and watch it with my family and laugh and all the ridiculous ideas those people would have about the end of the world. Most sounded like they were just looking for an excuse to 'play' with they fancy toys and equipment. I'm all for being prepared but the people on that show were downright crazy, helps for entertainment I suppose.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 05 May 2017, 7:18 am

Would you guys trust a tradie (someone you don't know) to install your safe. I'm getting attic storage built next week and was considering asking them to help me carry it up the ladder, bolt it to the rafters and wall.

But I've not told anyone I have it. Even my extended family.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey