Aiming for different distances

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Aiming for different distances

Post by Gizo » 14 May 2017, 11:44 am

I have just recently started shooting again, and will be doing some rabbit hunting soon with my cz452 .22lr.
I have my scope zeroed at 50 m my question is if I come across a rabbit at 20 meters do I still aim straight on, or do I aim a bit low to allowed the bullet to rise?
I use Winchester bushman high velocity
Gizo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Aiming for different distances

Post by AusTac » 14 May 2017, 11:49 am

The only way you can really learn your hold overs and unders in my opinion is live fire, put rounds down range out of your rifle/ammo combo and see what happens, the beauty of .22 is it's cheap and you can usually see the impact through the scope unlike a centrefire where a spotter is needed
Last edited by AusTac on 14 May 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 May 2017, 11:51 am

Try a 70m zero. A low body/jaw line hold will be good at shorter distances, pretty much centre hold from 50-70m and a backline hold at 100m will still be a dead rabbit. YRMV.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 14 May 2017, 12:53 pm

The only way to be sure is to shoot and make notes. Variables like scope height, bullet weight and velocity all come into play. I think a 50m zero for .22lr is spot on. Generally at 25m you need a slight hold under and at 75m a slight hold over. The main thing you want when hunting is confidence in your gear. Often only get a few moments for the shot, don't want to be wasting time second guessing yourself.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 18 May 2017, 1:55 pm

Bullet weight, speed, scope height and your zero will all play a part.
Set up targets from 20 out to 100 at 10m intervals and play, its the only way you will learn what your rifle and you are doing.
A 29g pill at 770fps is going to be very different to a 42g pill at 1320fps.
I find the 770's are great out to 50m but accuracy goes for a ball past that, however the beauty of the almost silent report is what makes them so much fun to shoot.
The 42's at 1320 sighted in at 25 are spot on at 100m in my rifle but they are about 30mm high at 60m.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey