hunting rules NSW

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

hunting rules NSW

Post by TheGreenwolf » 05 Jun 2017, 4:22 pm

just wondering what are the rules for shooting on private property in NSW

is there a minimum size for a property in nsw? if so what is the size? and i am guessing i need a permission letter signed by the owner.

do i need a special hunting lic for rats, rabbits?

i am guessing i need an R lic for deer but i probably wont be doing this (and not any time soon).
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: hunting rules NSW

Post by Archie » 05 Jun 2017, 4:55 pm

Sort of yes and sort of no.

First read this: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/rules ... ting-guide

Second, to quote the website: You are not required to hold a NSW game hunting licence if you are: hunting rabbits, foxes, feral goats, feral pigs, hares, feral cats or wild dogs (other than dingo) on private land.

You need an R licence for deer on private property that you don't own. Technically, you need it for deer even if you do own the land, but because of the damage deer cause they've put the regulations on suspension.

You don't need a letter, but you do need at least verbal permission. And its a good idea to get a letter anyway because it heads off trouble before it starts, if anyone questions you.

As to minimum size, not as far as I know, but there is probably a practical limit before it's unsafe, depending on what exactly you're doing.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tom Foolery » 05 Jun 2017, 4:56 pm

No specific size limits apply however the Firearms Registry "recommends" a minimum land size and 5 acres for Cat A and 25 acres for Cat B.

You will need to get permission from the owner but don't believe it had to be in writing however or may save you a hassle one day if it comes to a misunderstanding and also handy if you need to justify having a license.

Rats and rabbits? Do your worst.

Edit: Archie posted while I was typing. His point regarding a practical size limit is a good one. As the license holder YOU assume a duty of care for neighbours, livestock etc. so common sense and all that. Like, I'd resist the temptation to get out the shotty on a five acre block even if I did see the neighbours cat taking a short cut.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 05 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm

ok great thanks.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by sammyc » 02 Aug 2018, 4:42 pm

Thanks for the info Archie.

Is the minimum calibre .270 even on private land?

Thanks
Sammy
sammyc
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 02 Aug 2018, 9:22 pm

There is no legal min calibre in nsw. Nsw reccomends min 243 for deer, but its not a legal law like it is in vic. As long as it is a humane kill.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey