Update to Forest Explorer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Update to Forest Explorer

Post by FlyingStick » 14 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I noticed a week or so ago an announcement on Forest Explorer that they were planning a migration activity to a new platform that would potentially bring new features and capabilities. Being in IT, I was doubtful of their promises and timelines however to my delight noticed today that the new platform is up and running (albeit slow).

Apparently this new platform incorporates a number of mapping platforms, one of them being the forest explorer. However, the best of it all is - it seems to work on Mobile devices! It's a little clunky and the use of screen real estate is a bit off/clunky, however I look forward to using this when I am on foot in state forests to check where I am (There seems to be capability to use location services but isn't working - however wouldn't be too hard to figure out using google maps and this tool... will be brilliant if they can get it working!!!)

Head over to http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/ and have a look! It's the first link/icon (MapShareVic).

I have no affiliation to this project - just pointing it out to fellow hunters and campers.

Cheers.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Update to Forest Explorer

Post by Wombat » 14 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the link. Its a fantastic resource, I just wish they'd stop moving and changing it.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 23 Jun 2017, 9:57 am

Wombat wrote:I just wish they'd stop moving and changing it.

I've lost track of how many times they've re-allocated, merged, or changed the body responsible for the forestry in VIC.

5 times in the last few years it's been hand-balled to someone else and turned upside down :unknown:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Jul 2017, 5:43 pm

How do you find State forests?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 01 Jul 2017, 8:15 pm

I cant even open the site anymore.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm

Wombat wrote:I cant even open the site anymore.

It is very slow to open
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 02 Jul 2017, 8:50 pm

Not slow - Impossible with the version of Firefox I'm running.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

Has anyone actually had success using this new tool? The site opens... but I cant get any of the useful data that the old site had...even something as simply identifying what sort of land something is...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 17 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

I'm just getting some loading/welcome page on Chrome too.

Can't see no maps.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jul 2017, 7:14 pm

Loads fine for me in both browsers, does take several seconds though. If you have an older machine done be surprised if it takes up to 30 secs.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 17 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

Got it to open. Took a minute or two.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Sep 2017, 6:49 pm

Can anyone tell me how to use this pathetic excuse of a replacement mapping system? For the love of beer and gun powder I cannot f****** figure out how to get the damn thing to tell me the classification of a piece of land (i.e. SP, SF, Private, Plantation, etc), constantly getting "No Data" showing FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by YoungBuck on 12 Sep 2017, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 11 Sep 2017, 7:03 pm

If you have android just use backcountry navigator brilliant free satellite maps with full gps capability upgrade to pro version no ads for 20 bucks the best navigator for android phone period heaps of features to download offline satellite areas for when thers no network
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 11 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

albat wrote:If you have android just use backcountry navigator brilliant free satellite maps with full gps capability upgrade to pro version no ads for 20 bucks the best navigator for android phone period heaps of features to download offline satellite areas for when thers no network

Yes but does it have the ever changing legal categorization of Victorian public lands? We can shoot freely in SF but not in other categories of public land.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by albat » 11 Sep 2017, 9:33 pm

If you know the areas you can draw on the satellite maps using the gps coordinates of the area
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

albat wrote:If you know the areas you can draw on the satellite maps using the gps coordinates of the area

Here-in lies the problem and why I'm trying to use the system. I'm looking at some bush to potentially shoot in, but do not know if its park or forest...
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 11 Sep 2017, 11:09 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Can anyone tell me how to use this pathetic excuse of a replacement mapping system? For the love of beer and gun powder I cannot f****** figure out how to get the damn thing to tell em the classification of a piece of land (i.e. SP, SF, Private, Plantation, etc), constantly getting "No Data" showing FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get the bastard thing to open click on the tools (top right) Then click on the greek temple icon with public land under it. That will give you a map with forests and parks labeled and in different colours.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Sep 2017, 9:45 am

Thanks Wombat, that does help, I can see many other SF and NP listed. Unfortunately with the piece of land I'm looking at I'm still scratching my head.
Its bright yellow on the coloured map and says "name Reference Area". Anyone know what this means?
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 12 Sep 2017, 8:03 pm

No worries. If you want to PM me the area you are looking at I'll try to work it out.
I understand if you want to keep it to yourself.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey