Fox calling spotlight

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Fox calling spotlight

Post by Roundhogg » 23 Jun 2017, 11:00 am

Hey guys,

Just curious as to what spotlights u guys use for calling foxes in. Any brand or type in particular worth getting or are they all the same? Are rifle mounts the go?

Cheers
Roundhogg
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Fox calling spotlight

Post by tom604 » 23 Jun 2017, 6:55 pm

i just use a cheap spottie to spot their eyes (they shine up pretty bright) then use my gun light to do the shot,its a red light
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2017, 7:37 pm

I've got Lightforce 240, Power Beam 9" and a cheapy HID - I like the HID the best only because it lights em up further out which suits me fine, but at this time of the year they don't really like the light much.

They all work mate, just find one you are happy to pay for and start using it (once you find a fox keep them in the shadows of the light, get the Xhairs on em and then light em up and bang flop em). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

I don't use a spotlight anymore.
I used to use the Night Hunter scope mounted unit, I hated it with the red filter on, even tho they are recommended for hunting nocturnals like foxes.
It is a good unit without the red filter, but I found the supplied battery didn't hold charge long enough for my needs.
OK if you are in a vehicle and plugged in for power.

I now use a NiteSite 200 which although definately not a walkabout thing, is fantastic for sitting over a bait carcass over night, and sniping.
It is so good, that many times I have had to turn the power down, because their eyes light up like spot lights and dazzle me.
Rabbits in particular if they are facing me head on, look like a car with driving lights on.
Fox eyes light up extremely well, but not so bright as the bunnies.

I love the outfit because you can see them but they don't see you.
Because you don't have a "spotlight", you have a distinct advantage.

Not as good as a thermal imaging scope,,,,,, but a hell of a lot cheaper
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey