The .22WMR still has what it takes.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

The .22WMR still has what it takes.

Post by Elmer » 25 Jun 2017, 7:14 pm

Hmmm ,so the old .22WMR is a crap round and has made way for the Mighty .17HMR?...I dont think so...Last Saturday I shot this crow at 240yds and a Bunny through the grey matter at 160yds.
Just like a HMR needs those still days to perform amazing (for a rimfire) long range feats of accuracy so does the WMR . I think the WMR has taken an unfair back seat to the HMR with all the hype and feats of mind blowing accuracy and laser flat trajectory. The WMR (in my experience and I have been shooting this round in various rifles since 85)) with a quality rifle and ammo will hold its own...I intend to shoot a Bunny at 300yds with this round to prove a point, according to ballistics tables it still has enough velocity and energy to do the job humanely.
My sako quad shot a 3 shot group at 200yds measuring just 1.3" and has shot many other groups at 100 which can be covered with a 5 cent piece...so much for crap accuracy lol.
cheers.
https://youtu.be/p-bZD2Xaxfs
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: The .22WMR still has what it takes.

Post by Cooper » 25 Jun 2017, 8:31 pm

What ammo?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 25 Jun 2017, 8:55 pm

Cooper wrote:What ammo?

Nothing fancy mate, just Remington 40gn JHPs ....Have tied a few other brands such as Hornady30gn VMAX but even though they group a little tighter than the Rems they are not as consistent.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Jun 2017, 5:41 am

22 Magnum is a nice little round I own two guns chamber for it, four if you count the two Ruger Single-Sixes with their extra cylinders, but I only shoot 22 LR in them. Of my two dedicated 22WMR one is a micro revolver that is used for concealed carry, when I can't carry anything else. The other is a Ruger 77/22 Magnum. I've found the 22WMR to be a nice round, while more expensive than the 22LR it runs less than a 22Hornet, I've three guns in 22Hornet, and while it does fall short of the Hornet in velocity and energy, at 100 yards or less I doubt any well placed shot would show any loss in ability.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Jeff303 » 26 Jun 2017, 8:31 am

Big fan here. Used one since the mid 80s.
Sold my hmr & just use the mag exclusively.
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 26 Jun 2017, 9:11 am

i am a fan of the 22 wmr
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Elmer » 26 Jun 2017, 9:03 pm

bentaz wrote:Nice work as always mate

Thanks mate.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 26 Jun 2017, 9:07 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:22 Magnum is a nice little round I own two guns chamber for it, four if you count the two Ruger Single-Sixes with their extra cylinders, but I only shoot 22 LR in them. Of my two dedicated 22WMR one is a micro revolver that is used for concealed carry, when I can't carry anything else. The other is a Ruger 77/22 Magnum. I've found the 22WMR to be a nice round, while more expensive than the 22LR it runs less than a 22Hornet, I've three guns in 22Hornet, and while it does fall short of the Hornet in velocity and energy, at 100 yards or less I doubt any well placed shot would show any loss in ability.

Like I said mate, a sadly underrated round,
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 27 Jun 2017, 9:57 am

Elmer wrote:
GLS_1956 wrote:22 Magnum is a nice little round I own two guns chamber for it, four if you count the two Ruger Single-Sixes with their extra cylinders, but I only shoot 22 LR in them. Of my two dedicated 22WMR one is a micro revolver that is used for concealed carry, when I can't carry anything else. The other is a Ruger 77/22 Magnum. I've found the 22WMR to be a nice round, while more expensive than the 22LR it runs less than a 22Hornet, I've three guns in 22Hornet, and while it does fall short of the Hornet in velocity and energy, at 100 yards or less I doubt any well placed shot would show any loss in ability.

cheers.

Totally agree.
A lot of people in Tas have then as the go-to rifle for wallaby.
Just expensive to feed for rim-fire and with unreliable supply of ammo locally you can't always guarantee you can feed it what it likes. Very nearly bought one a few years ago but i can get the same performance and noise level from my 223rem loaded with Trailboss and a 50gn Z-max going at 1850fps for less than the cost of 22wmr ammo.

If ammo was cheaper and supply more consistent i would have one to save on reloading because it's not my favourite job in the world. A mate's 22wmr (LA101) was grouping under an inch at 100yds with 40gn Hornady the other week but about 4" with 30gn Hornady.

Looking forward to seeing you long range efforts, though! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Elmer » 27 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Big fan here. Used one since the mid 80s.

Jeff, whats your opinion of the HMR?
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 27 Jun 2017, 5:56 pm

wrenchman wrote:i am a fan of the 22 wmr

:thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 27 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm

Gwion wrote:
Elmer wrote:

cheers.

Totally agree.
Just expensive to feed for rim-fire and with unreliable supply of ammo locally you can't always guarantee you can feed it what it likes. Very nearly bought one a few years ago but i can get the same performance and noise level from my 223rem loaded with Trailboss and a 50gn Z-max going at 1850fps for less than the cost of 22wmr ammo.

If ammo was cheaper and supply more consistent i would have one to save on reloading because it's not my favourite job in the world. A mate's 22wmr (LA101) was grouping under an inch at 100yds with 40gn Hornady the other week but about 4" with 30gn Hornady.

Looking forward to seeing you long range efforts, though! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I tried the Hornady 30 VMAX and found them to be erratic too but the 40grainers seem to settle very well....when it comes to handloading you and me both I rather be shooting than stuck behind a bench.
Will have to wait for a calm day for the 300yd test, we have been having a few of those lately so hopefully I wont have to wait long.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 28 Jun 2017, 7:05 am

Elmer, i enjoyed it for what it was, but for me it always lacked the sting of a solid wmr hit. No versatility when something a bit larger hopped out as well as a pita in the wind.
Oh, and an absolute bitch to clean
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 28 Jun 2017, 8:34 am

:friends: Great vids by the way. Always on the lookout for new ones
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 24 Jul 2017, 4:28 pm

Mate your got to be a fan .22WMR , In my book N0 1 small game :D cartridge out to 125 yrds sweet :mrgreen:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Jul 2017, 9:09 pm

Gwion wrote:[

Totally agree.

I still think .22LR does the job fine. :problem:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by southwest shooter » 24 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm

Elmer wrote:
Jeff303 wrote:Big fan here. Used one since the mid 80s.

Jeff, whats your opinion of the HMR?

I'm not jeff ha ha , sell the hmr and buy a 22 mag , you wont regret it .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jul 2017, 10:32 pm

Appropriate this thread + the video arise at this time as I'd been wanting a 22WMR for ages just to fill a gap in the rimfire collection. Picked up a Lithgow 22WMR with the titanium cerakote threaded barrel and laminated stock a couple weeks back. Due to some health issues I haven't been well enough to visit the range to see how it shoots yet. If it shoots as good as it looks it'll be a tack driver, very impressed with the fit and finish so far.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 Jul 2017, 8:55 am

Heckler303 wrote:

Totally agree.

WMR extended range and more emphatic kills over the 22lr. That's why I use both the LR and the 223 loaded with trailboss to just over WMR velocity.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

hope you start fealing better i have a marlin 882ss its a nice gun and shoots nice
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Jul 2017, 5:49 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Totally agree.

WMR extended range and more emphatic kills over the 22lr. That's why I use both the LR and the 223 loaded with trailboss to just over WMR velocity.

Fine if you're shooting past 50M, nearly every wallaby I've encountered (that I then took out) was under that. Too much noise for some environments too. The regular subsonic 40grn .22LR still drops even big Bennetts fairly well. This is of course coming from landing headshots, not launching a pill into their chest cavity and waiting for a slow bleed out.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

Managed to drag myself to the range tonight as I had to get a pistol attendance registered to comply with the mandatory BS from the govt. fella. Took the new baby out and put 50 rounds down range to get a feel for it. Currently it has a Nikko Panamax 6-18x50 scope mounted cause that's what was spare on my shelf but seems clear enough so it'll do for now. The quality of the rifle is fantastic but at a premium price it should be though the mag (CZ) is junk, constantly failed to feed or jammed when loaded with 8 or more rounds. There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process. That's the only let down with the rifle and the below 5 shot group was replicated several times tonight using cheap bulk bought CCI Maxi Mag 40Gr HP ($190 for 500rnds). Might try some premium ammo and see if it performs any better and I might buy another brick of the CCI while the price is low.

@Elmer...what ammo does yours prefer?

IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG (323.64 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2017, 4:36 am

"There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process."

Sheeesh that's pretty poor.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:"There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process."

Sheeesh that's pretty poor.

It doesn't mention the 10 round CZ Mag but I'm thinking the fix should be similar....

http://www.lithgowarms.com/wp-content/migrate/2016/05/LA101_5-ROUND_MAGAZINE-MODIFICATION-INSTRUCTION_V1.pdf
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 26 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 26 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

Jeff303 wrote::friends: Great vids by the way. Always on the lookout for new ones

Glad you like the vids mate. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 26 Jul 2017, 10:46 pm

flashman wrote:I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D

Yup, its been around for over 50yrs so it must be doing something right ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

Yep damn this thread. Just put in a pta for a Stirling mod15 . :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 28 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:Managed to drag myself to the range tonight as I had to get a pistol attendance registered to comply with the mandatory BS from the govt. fella. Took the new baby out and put 50 rounds down range to get a feel for it. Currently it has a Nikko Panamax 6-18x50 scope mounted cause that's what was spare on my shelf but seems clear enough so it'll do for now. The quality of the rifle is fantastic but at a premium price it should be though the mag (CZ) is junk, constantly failed to feed or jammed when loaded with 8 or more rounds. There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process. That's the only let down with the rifle and the below 5 shot group was replicated several times tonight using cheap bulk bought CCI Maxi Mag 40Gr HP ($190 for 500rnds). Might try some premium ammo and see if it performs any better and I might buy another brick of the CCI while the price is low.

@Elmer...what ammo does yours prefer?
It likes the Remington 40gn JHPs, even though Hornady 30vmax shoots a bit tighter the Rems are more consistent with few fliers.

IMG_3483.JPG
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 Jul 2017, 11:57 pm

Elmer wrote:
flashman wrote:I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D

Yup, its been around for over 50yrs so it must be doing something right ;)

Sorry - getting at Brett

And y'know the BRNO/CZ magazines have been working almost flawlessly for over 60 years. So if they don't work in a "Johnny-cum-lately" Lithgow who touted that these foreign mags would work in their rifles and then they didn't - DAMN, MAN IT MUST BE THOSE FOREIGN MAGAZINES.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control