Letter for hunting on Victorian private property

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Letter for hunting on Victorian private property

Post by gherx » 06 Dec 2013, 8:13 am

Heya,

I understand I'm supposed to have a letter of permission to hunt on private property in Victoria from the property owner.

I've done some searching on the VICPOL website and Google but couldn't find anything. I wasn't sure if there was a 'formal' letter template I needed for legal reasons?

Or can it just say "I give Steve permission to hunt on my property, signed bob"?

Thanks guys.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Letter for hunting on Victorian private property

Post by harlow » 06 Dec 2013, 11:06 am

It's just to cover yourself in case the police approach you and you're on someone else's property isn't it?

I didn't think it was something that required formal documentation, like a license or permit etc.
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wheedle » 06 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm

I'm sure one of the VIC guys will chime in (I'm from QLD) but from memory in other topics you just need permission.

Verbal or written is fine, it's not formal documentation.

Getting it in writing is more about protecting yourself in case someone changes there mind or there was a miscommunication. Or if you need some evidence to show and enquiring police officer as you're not the property owner.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boatman » 06 Dec 2013, 12:15 pm

wheedle wrote:Getting it in writing is more about protecting yourself in case someone changes there mind or there was a miscommunication. Or if you need some evidence to show and enquiring police officer as you're not the property owner.

And you should.

Can't cover yourself enough these days.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 06 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm

Boatman wrote:And you should.

Can't cover yourself enough these days.

Yep.

Even if you get verbal permission, people have fallings out and situations change.

A mate of mine previously had permission to go onto a property basically whenever he liked.

Long story short a wire fence got broken by a fluke shot and the owner was not happy about it.

He offered to fix the fence and everything but the owner didn't want a bar of it.

You wouldn't have thought it was a big deal but he's since been uninvited, so there you go.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 06 Dec 2013, 3:21 pm

That's a bit rough if you're mate was keen to fix the damage :(
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 07 Dec 2013, 8:41 am

Grrzrr wrote:That's a bit rough if you're mate was keen to fix the damage :(

Probably not the first time something similar has happened. Last straw I guess...
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gherx » 13 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

Thanks for the clarification guys.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Red Dog » 18 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

I hunt in Victoria on a regular basis on a number of private farms, small and large.

I always get in touch with the land owner by phone or SMS before I venture out, as a courtesy and the farmer lets me know which paddocks not to drive in as he has recently plowed or sown seed or has sheep lambing etc. Most landowners are very good and occasionally lock up a paddock for maintenance etc.

This works for me and some farmers text their neighbours to let them know they have a friend doing some shooting / culling ferals etc. Also if we bump into the neighbours we are friendly and give them a wave etc .

I always try and get a letter of authority signed by the farmer or landowner, with a few basic things listed. I draught one up and have copies ,and leave a few places blank for them to fill in and keep a copy in my truck in a plastic sealed bag, in case I need to produce it.

Eg. I ............... ( land owner ) of woodshed property , of approx 100 acres, located in the Wodonga area of Vic, today .............( date ). give Joe Blow and his wife Shirley, both licensed shooters and members of SSAA, permission to hunt and cull feral animals on my property at any time as pre arranged .

Hope this helps you , we need to be business like and ethical at all times when we hunt and the doors will stay open for many years to come.

Cheers Red Dog.
Red Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Marfit » 19 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

Marfit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by shazz » 20 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

Those letter templates are the kinds of things the licensing departments should provide I reckon.

We pay good money for our licensing and the rules around it are so scattered and convoluted in places.

Things like 'shooting checklists' for what to have with you (or not) when you go out, permission letters etc. would all be good to have as formals docs from the police to help us all do the right thing.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Aster » 20 Jan 2014, 10:34 am

shazz wrote:We pay good money for our licensing and the rules around it are so scattered and convoluted in places.

Things like 'shooting checklists' for what to have with you (or not) when you go out, permission letters etc. would all be good to have as formals docs from the police to help us all do the right thing.

It's already been said by some that shooters are subsidised by the Gov, so good luck with that.

I'd expect a massive fee hike if they're going to start providing resources for us as well.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by lole » 20 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

Aster wrote:It's already been said by some that shooters are subsidised by the Gov, so good luck with that.

Seems like all I got for my $$$ was a piece of plastic...
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gherx » 06 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm

Marfit wrote:http://ssaavic.com.au/images/doc/permissiontohuntonprivateland.pdf

Thanks for the link Marfit, that's great.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey