deer hunters

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

deer hunters

Post by Gibbo » 29 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

Hi

Quick question regarding deer hunting and rifle calibre. I am aware of the minimum calibres for each deer species, I own a Tikka 260 live in Victoria.

Can I carry a 260 into areas where there are Sambar (min calibre in Vic 270) without getting in strife with the authorities?

I thought this would be ok, for example if you hunt wild dogs i assume you could carry a 223. But a fellow deer hunter recently told me that you can get pinged for carrying less than 270 in deer hunting areas... regardless of what you are hunting. I can't find anything on this forum or on the game and depi websites about what rifles you can carry where and I am hoping this is a horse sh!t comment by my mate...?

Thanks for your help

Gibbo
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: deer hunters

Post by Supaduke » 29 Jun 2017, 1:10 pm

It depends where you are. If you are in state forest and there is no evidence you have been hunting deer, no worries. If you are in a national park where deer hunting is permitted but not the hunting of ferals, then you are in a world of shizzle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

Gibbo wrote:Hi

Quick question regarding deer hunting and rifle calibre. I am aware of the minimum calibres for each deer species, I own a Tikka 260 live in Victoria.

Can I carry a 260 into areas where there are Sambar (min calibre in Vic 270) without getting in strife with the authorities?

I thought this would be ok, for example if you hunt wild dogs i assume you could carry a 223. But a fellow deer hunter recently told me that you can get pinged for carrying less than 270 in deer hunting areas... regardless of what you are hunting. I can't find anything on this forum or on the game and depi websites about what rifles you can carry where and I am hoping this is a horse sh!t comment by my mate...?

Thanks for your help

Gibbo

Your mate is perpetuating a myth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 29 Jun 2017, 4:52 pm

In Victoria you can hunt deer in forests and national parks. In forests you can hunt everything else as well, so free to carry 22 to 50 :)

In national parks you are allowed to hunt deer and nothing else. So if you're in possession of a non-deer approved caliber (which would technically be anything bellow 243), while in a national park, then I think you'd be in bit of a poo. As far as I understand anyway.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Archie » 29 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

I love Victoria... has to be the only place in Australia you can get in trouble with the law because your gun isn't big enough...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2017, 5:17 pm

Archie wrote:I love Victoria... has to be the only place in Australia you can get in trouble with the law because your gun isn't big enough...

There is a clown on every forum. Gotta laugh. :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2017, 5:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:It depends where you are. If you are in state forest and there is no evidence you have been hunting deer, no worries. If you are in a national park where deer hunting is permitted but not the hunting of ferals, then you are in a world of shizzle.

Summed that up well. +1
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 29 Jun 2017, 9:06 pm

Torch is fine...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 29 Jun 2017, 10:44 pm

Yeah, I recon you're getting a tad too paranoid. Torch is a torch, headlamp is a headlamp and spotlight is well pretty obvious a spotlight. My headlamp runs of 18650 so yeah high beams all the way, but as long as you're walking home and unloaded, you'll be fine. Half of it is retarded laws, the other is hunters perpetuating folklore.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jun 2017, 5:28 am

sungazer wrote:Also don't get caught carrying a torch half an hour before sunset or half an hour after sunrise in a recognized deer habitat (which is nearly everywhere). At this time of the year its not may hours on some days.

Half hour AFTER sunset and half hour BEFORE sunrise.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2017, 6:59 am

juststarting wrote:Yeah, I recon you're getting a tad too paranoid. Torch is a torch, headlamp is a headlamp and spotlight is well pretty obvious a spotlight. My headlamp runs of 18650 so yeah high beams all the way, but as long as you're walking home and unloaded, you'll be fine. Half of it is retarded laws, the other is hunters perpetuating folklore.

Correct, straight off the gma web site.

"Possession of a spotlight and firearm
when on foot
Hunters on foot in recognised deer habitat between
30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise
in recognised deer habitat can carry an artificial light
(e.g. torch or headlamp) for on-foot navigation purposes
as long as:
• the firearm and magazine is unloaded – this means
that all cartridges must be removed from the
firearm and any magazine.
• ammunition is stored in a closed case or container
– this could include a backpack or cartridge case.
• any artificial light is not fitted to the firearm or
fixture attached to the firearm – no light can be
fitted to any part of the firearm or a scope or
other fitting attached to the firearm.:

People also have a habit of not reading all the info. Just read bits and interpret it wrong.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Jun 2017, 11:24 am

Uh!! But you see my friend, those two things are mutually exclusive. You're either overly cautious and read the fine print; or you're not overly cautious because you don't read the fine print hehehe
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

If you're leaving a bong on the coffee table for a year you have bigger problems than walking around with a torch in deer habitat at night! :lol: :wtf: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 01 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

Would the bong be packed or empty? Are you punching a cone as you're opening the safe to show cops serial numbers? Have you been a good host and offered some to the guests? All of those things matter!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 01 Jul 2017, 3:26 pm

Speaking of cones, the tenant moved out of our investment property the other day and I went to give the place a once over. It was fine, no damage and pretty clean. While inspecting the linen closet I came across a bunch of weed and tobacco crumbs (not enough to spark up a doobie either, bastards). Been a crap tenant (always late with the rent) so just to put the wind up them I let the real estate agent know I found 'a bunch of marijuana' in the cupboard. Now they will be stressing out that they left a bag behind lol.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey