Preserving stag horn

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Preserving stag horn

Post by chacka » 10 Jul 2017, 4:04 pm

After advice on preserving a bit of ornamental stag horn.

It'll just be sitting there looking pretty, it's not a knife handle or anything that'll get wear and tear or any abuse.

Anything need doing or just hang it up and good to go?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Preserving stag horn

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

I don't really know,,,, I would have presumed that it wouldn't need any "treatment" or "preservative"
I have a very large knife that was made by my late brother during his first tour of duty in Vietnam.
It has a staghorn handle that hasn't had any treatment that I know of, and it's as good as the day he put it all together.

On a different medium, such as goat and buffalo horns, they tend to dry out and can become surface flaky.
A good rub down with olive oil fixes that.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 Jul 2017, 3:02 am

If your really worried a bit of spray on estapol works alright or even super glue
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 11 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

Maybe some matt clear from a spray can. A poly of some sort
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jul 2017, 6:20 pm

:drinks: It's called an Antler not a horn.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 9:12 pm

I have a sambar antler I found while fishing about 12-15 years ago. No treatment, just sitting around on a shelf all that time. Same as the day I picked it up off the ground.

Keep it out of sun and weather and should last indefinitely. There are mummies hundreds or thousands of years old that still have hair attached. Antler is basically the same substance at hair. If you wanted to buff it or put something on it, I'd go with bees wax.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 14 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm

Yep, no treatment required imo.. I agree with what Giwon said regarding the bees wax...

I have one thats about 30 years old and never had any treatment at all, its been kept out of the weather and direct sunlight... Its in just the same condition as when I got it.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

Same as all the above, I have a few bits that are years or decades old depending, they have never done anything with them and look the same as when I got them.

Only thing I would think would be a problem is if they're hung somewhere in direct sunlight, they'd eventually bleach I guess?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey