Farm / work / ute rifle - pigs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Farm / work / ute rifle - pigs

Post by Gun-nut » 13 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm

Where are you guys buying .308 from Thales? (We are talking about adf current issue .308 right?)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 13 Jul 2017, 11:41 pm

when you reload you can get the price to come down real far when i reload for the 3030 i get it down about 7 dollers us you should be able to do the same with the 243.
if you can make the 243 work and save money i would go that route but it does sound like a good reason to get another gun it might even work with the wife lol.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 14 Jul 2017, 5:56 am

You can buy a lot of 243 ammo for the cost of an extra rifle.....

Still, my choice would be the 308 in a carbine of some type. Preferably pump but you'd get a bolt cheaper.

Ps: by the way, I just don't really like lever guns for no other reason than I just don't.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Farmer Roy » 14 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:TBH I've never shot any of it personally, but I've witnessed plenty of it hitting steel, and it hits pretty hard - I guess it would probably over-penetrate technically.

File the points off and it works just fine.

Does that really work ?
Would you get much expansion ?
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Jul 2017, 2:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:TBH I've never shot any of it personally, but I've witnessed plenty of it hitting steel, and it hits pretty hard - I guess it would probably over-penetrate technically.

Bloody good idea Blade! :clap:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

Farmer Roy wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Does that really work ?
Would you get much expansion ?

I think I only tried it with 6.5x55mm but it certainly worked with those. I even turned the bullets around and shot them backwards. Filing the tips is all it needs though - provided it does not have a penetrator. I doubt it'll expand as well as a properly-designed hunting bullet but hunters have been doing it for decades with milsurp ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 14 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:I think I only tried it with 6.5x55mm but it certainly worked with those. I even turned the bullets around and shot them backwards. Filing the tips is all it needs though - provided it does not have a penetrator. I doubt it'll expand as well as a properly-designed hunting bullet but hunters have been doing it for decades with milsurp ammo.

Mate it'll break pigs down, no doubt.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cdog » 20 Aug 2017, 3:13 pm

Ruger gunsite scout in 308 iron sights fairly cheap to feed or there's now a gunsite scout 450 bushmaster nice looking solid rig but not cheap to feed.. both be great allaround farm/ute guns..
Cdog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lumbajak » 06 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

Rem 7600 carbine/patrol is great for me in the Ute/quad in 308. 16inch barrel and 10 round mag 130 grain federal hollow points make em look like they swallowed a grenade inside 200. I put a vxr hog on it and it is perfect for me just watch your ears hahaha
Good luck mate
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Jan 2018, 4:03 pm

Stay with the 243W and try PPU ammo. A bit dirty but will do the job. Sight - try a red dot or low power fixed or evan a peep. Good shooting!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by fxol » 07 Jan 2018, 6:09 am

Browning wrote:I bought a Ruger GS years ago in a 308 for this very same job.
Short barrel is great and it's built like a tank!! It takes whatever you dish out... I used mine on the quad heaps and it's tipped with a little aimpoint (never had any probs with sun or anything)
Great combo and works perfect for what you've described... Pretty bloody accurate as well even with factory loads.....
Been thinking of selling it for a while now as well... lol

This, or maybe a Tikka compact in 308, 1-4 scope and 10 round mag
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Col » 07 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

Farmer Roy
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have been through this dilemma myself and reckon a T3X Superlite (synthetic) in 308 would answer your needs. I have a T3 243 stainless Varmint (topped with a swarovski 4-12X50)which I carry in the ute all the time, mainly for roos but the odd pig if it pokes it's head up. I love the gun and it shoots like a laser. The only drawback is getting it out of the window in a hurry when you need to get a shot off quickly. I recently got a T3X Superlite (which is stainless fluted in a synthetic stock)'

The T3X is shorter and lighter and I find a lot easier to handle in the ute or walk about with. The 10 shot mag from the 243 fits straight into the 308 which is another great advantage. I have a 3-12 X 50 Zeiss Conquest on the 308 which gives plenty of options for shooting at long ranges and snap shooting up close. I find the 308 a bit heavy on roos as they tend to hop off a bit, not realising they are dead, when I hit them using Buffalo River ammo with the 135gn projectiles. However they still end up dead, just have to drive a bit further, and no I don't bother head shooting them. The dogs don't care if their roo meat is head shot or chest shot :sarcasm: I reckon it is a great rifle for the job and I would shoot at something least 5 days out of every week so it is about functionality,accuracy and durability.

Hope this helps

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey