Time for a trail cam

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Time for a trail cam

Post by Daddybang » 11 Jul 2017, 11:24 am

Just went for a walk around my dam and found a heap of rooting spots where the pigs are coming in. A bit early this year normally don't see them til late August. Time to get a cam to find out what time of night they're getting in so I can stake them out. Any suggestions on decent brands/models?

20170711_104109.jpg
20170711_104109.jpg (802.76 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

20170711_104313.jpg
20170711_104313.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2501 times

Don't mind spending a bit but need to be able to read it on the unit as I don't have a laptop or pc.thanks in advance :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Time for a trail cam

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm

There's heaps of choices. Lil acorn are fairly cheap ($150ish) and get a good wrap. Mid price is around $400. I've got some Bushnell HD's that have been great that are in that price range. All the extra gadgets will push you up towards a K.

The SD card on mine just slips into a digital camera and you can read the photos from there. Models with a built-in screen are definitely more $ so take that into account if you can

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jul 2017, 3:46 pm

Aldi had one for sale with a built in screen. i've got one and it works real good - stills and video in colour and B&W.
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm

Daddybang wrote:Just went for a walk around my dam and found a heap of rooting spots where the pigs are coming in. A bit early this year normally don't see them til late August. Time to get a cam to find out what time of night they're getting in so I can stake them out. Any suggestions on decent brands/models?

We've been using an Ebay one around the farm to monitor what the cattle up getting up to.
Seems to work pretty good.
Rose can watch the video on the screen but it's too small for me to see anything useful. I just plug it into the computer to watch them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-12MP-Hunting-Camera-Trail-Scouting-Wildlife-Night-Vision-LED-Infrared-DY/311831738273
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 11 Jul 2017, 5:55 pm

I've got a couple, a cheapo swann and a more expensive bushnell. Both work fine, but the extra features in the Bushnell are worth the money. Very long battery life and the option of doing time lapse. The time lapse allows you to capture photos when the unit isn't triggered, allowing you to get images of animals outside the sensor range.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2017, 6:16 pm

Wombat wrote:I've got a couple, a cheapo swann and a more expensive bushnell. Both work fine, but the extra features in the Bushnell are worth the money. Very long battery life and the option of doing time lapse. The time lapse allows you to capture photos when the unit isn't triggered, allowing you to get images of animals outside the sensor range.

This one we use lets you set up to take photos or video at pre-set time intervals rather than wait to be triggered.
Rose generally sets it to record for ten seconds once triggered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-kWqAtIXFU
I actually wanted a wireless one that Rose could access from her phone, but they were getting expensive.
I want to try one of the wireless SD cards though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jul 2017, 6:45 am

Thanks for all the info fellas given me a good idea of where to start :P
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

Yeah Bladeracer - that looks very similar to the Aldi model.

aldicamera.jpg
aldicamera.jpg (350.17 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey