Ear protection while hunting?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Ear protection while hunting?

Post by Mononoke » 16 Jul 2017, 7:06 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. :)

Just wondering what people like to use to protect hearing while hunting using larger calibre firearms? At the range I double-up plugs and muffs but not sure of the best approach in the field. Squishy plugs are awkward to insert in a hurry, and get dirty when taking them out/reinserting through the day. Muffs are easier to put of/take off but are bulky.

I'm looking for a method that gives me freedom to listen normally most of the time and quickly add ear protection when needed. I've been looking into valve-style inserts like the Sonic Defender EP7, which can stay in all day but the valve can be either opened or closed to control amount of sound coming in. Has anyone tried them?

I'm not going for electronics, as the decent ones are way out of my price range.

Cheers!
Mononoke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ear protection while hunting?

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Jul 2017, 3:54 pm

Good thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8277

Problem with manually operated ones is that you need enough time to activate them, if you are hunting deer with that larger calibre this might not happen.
And I wouldnt risk any additional movement before taking a shot, I only recently spooked a stag 20m away with basically a flick of the wrist.

I have used howard leights impact sport, the slimline profile doesnt affect cheek contact too much, you can get them from USA ebay or amazon for a bit cheaper than here, i got a 2pack delivered from amazon for $140.
They dont offer huge protection levels but good enough for a couple shots IMO.
Bigjobss

Post by gazza » 16 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

I just wear a plug in my right ear if I'm walking around taking a few shots.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Jul 2017, 6:04 pm

Hey just checked amazon and you can get the leights for $65 aud delivered.
Bit late now but mine were claimed on tax anyway, gotta get your PPE sorted!
Bigjobss

Post by albat » 16 Jul 2017, 7:33 pm

+1 howard leights find i have plenty of protection even at the range
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 16 Jul 2017, 7:38 pm

gunworld australia has the leights for $79 on special right now
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mononoke » 16 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

Thanks guys, I will have a think about the Howard Leights Impact Sport. I had a look at the specs and they do seem a little light-on at 22dB noise reduction though, I guess I'm looking for something more than 25. My hearing is still pretty good and hoping to protect it as much as possible, hence my tendency to plug-plus-muffs when target shooting. Considering the 1-ear plug option too, or even 2 of different kinds (with the higher dB one in the right ear).

I'm pretty new to rifle hunting, having only bowhunted before. I'm new to deer stalking too, so lots of learning ahead of me. :)
Mononoke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2017, 9:38 pm

Never really needed them while hunting,never had a problem although the 3006 rem 7600 carbine is bit of an exception, might try the one plug.
Earplugs and headphone makes it hard to hear properly while hunting and are distracting.
My father takes his hearing aids out and it drives me up the wall
trying to reach him on the radio, in saying that he is not quiet walking around in the bush,
But the ole bastard always comes across game. ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Jul 2017, 10:32 pm

Most electronic muffs ars amplifying so you could wear plugs underneath and break even.
One plug at a time? Better than nothing but much of the energy is carried as vibration through your skull so your opposite ear still cops a fair whack of abuse.
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm

For me the risk is related to the number of shots likely to be fired.
Sighting in or range, muffs or plugs, or both.
Hunting deer or whistling, 1 plug or no protection. Because few shots are fired and I need my hearing.
Out rabbiting and firing a few off, always wear plugs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jul 2017, 6:21 am

I generally don't worry about HP when hunting (I use up to 375HH) it's not like you are letting off a heap of rounds (usually 0 or 1 maybe 2 if I'm lucky) - Electronic types would be good if you want to wear HP.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mitch » 17 Jul 2017, 6:42 am

Electronic ear muffs.

Mine (Peltor SporTac) are that good i can turn them right up and actually INCREASE my hearing, which has helped me in the past
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Jul 2017, 1:23 pm

Mitch wrote:Electronic ear muffs.

Mine (Peltor SporTac) are that good i can turn them right up and actually INCREASE my hearing, which has helped me in the past

Yep, I hear heaps of stuff with mine in that I wouldn't hear without them
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Old Fart » 17 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm

My 2c, not necessarily the safest but...

If expecting to only take a single or couple of shots.

e.g. only after 1 deer, 1 pig, I don't bother.

Anything more than that, busting bunnies, doing the range, shooting with mates in the field where extra shots will be taken, always have the ears on.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm

Old Fart wrote:My 2c, not necessarily the safest but...

Anything more than that, busting bunnies, doing the range, shooting with mates in the field where extra shots will be taken, always have the ears on.

Yeah that's how I roll too, lots of shots = ear muffs, 1 or 2 shots here and there I don't bother.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Jul 2017, 8:52 pm

Thats the way I have settled too, as much as amplifcation works it makes me feel a bit weird and messes with my awareness.
Damn backwards australia and its suppressor laws, I would not hesitate spending the value of my rifle on this add-on.
Bigjobss

Post by Mononoke » 20 Jul 2017, 10:48 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Rifle hunting is still new for me, and it helps to hear everyone's approach. Its all about trying stuff and settling on what works for you eh? I'm a bit anal about hearing protection myself (I used to be a pro muso), so would like use some kind of protection all the time. I do kind of prefer plugs over muffs generally, and perhaps in future will invest in a pair of custom electronic plugs. At the range I will use plugs + my Clear Armor muffs, and have decided to give these a go for use when ranging around and see if they work for me: https://www.earjobs.com.au/products/sur ... -ep7-ultra

However, gear geek that I am, I'm looking forward to seeing/chatting with people and trying other things down the track too. :)
Mononoke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Jul 2017, 10:30 pm

Bigjobss wrote:

Thats the way I have settled too, as much as amplifcation works it makes me feel a bit weird and messes with my awareness.
Damn backwards australia and its suppressor laws, I would not hesitate spending the value of my rifle on this add-on.

From what I’ve read and others have said, some hunters are getting approved for suppressors and other sound moderators, you just have to submit the required paperwork depending on your state, I know SA have a catch that you need a range to approve it and be approve for it but that’s not something that you can do as all ranges comply with sound requirements and don’t need them ect ect
https://www.facebook.com/shawmacindustr ... 899406581/
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by xDom » 17 Mar 2019, 1:13 am

Seems the Howard Leights Impact Sports are a very popular model of e-muffs. I actually beefed mine up by following a You Tube clip. Opened them up and installed more sound insulating foam.
I'm super careful with my hearing, going down the range I'll plug and ear muff.
I cant emphasize enough how much I wish we could use silencers. Total BS rule.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 17 Mar 2019, 5:44 am

xDom wrote:I cant emphasize enough how much I wish we could use silencers. Total BS rule.

You might be better using a sound moderator, or maybe a suppressor. Silencers are the stuff of movies, and politicians fantasy.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey