New to hunting in Victoria

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to hunting in Victoria

Post by Clarky75 » 24 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

Hi All,

I am new to hunting, went out with dad a lot when I was younger but that was a long time ago and on private land my grandmother used to own.

I have been back into shooting for a few years now, but just at the range

Looking to get out and hunt some vermin, just rabbits and foxes. I have been looking online where to hunt and it is very confusing many of the maps and old resources I have found point to pages online that have expired. I live out near Lilydale and I know out east there are many state forests. I am just looking to make a day trip or too as a starting point. Can anyone recommend any places I can go, or point me to any resources that are still current?

The last thing I want to do is end up in an area where I should not be.

Thanks all, I appreciate any help or guidance

Clarky
Last edited by Clarky75 on 24 Jul 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New kinda to hunting

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2017, 5:28 pm

Here is three. But you will need to do your own research. Members who live closer will be in a better position to help than me. Hunters are a bit like fisherman and don't generally broad cast their best spots.

Strathbogies. Mt Disappointment, MtRobertson, King lake.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: New kinda to hunting

Post by Clarky75 » 24 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

Thanks Oldbloke, I used to ride dirt bikes up at Dissa many years ago, never seen any hunters out and about though.

Just to get out is fine with me, sick of shooting paper at the range :)
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to hunting

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jul 2017, 2:54 pm

Bit of a resource here if you haven't found your way to it already.

Where to hunt

A quick summary is 'state forests' are all good.

Game reserves are open during season.

And private property is an option too of course.

Basically everything else is off limits. Water catchments, national parts, reserves etc. are all no go.

DEPI used to have an interactive map which was good for showing you what was where, but that no longer seems to be online as far as I can find :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: New to hunting in Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

Good advice from Lorgar there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 25 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

https://www.feralscan.org.au/
Might point you towards some. I've been told there are even pigs at Mt Disappointment, but then I've been told a lot of things.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Clarky75 » 25 Jul 2017, 8:55 pm

Thanks Lorgar and Wombat. I will check out some state forests, just don't want to shoot in any part of the state forests that you are not meant too

Thanks for the resources, will check those out. Appreciate the responses guys
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 25 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm

Just be sure of your backstop (or what lies behind) and stay 200 meters or so away from any roads and you should be ok in any State Forest in Vic.
This thread is about a great resource if you can get it to work viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8215
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: New to hunting

Post by FlyingStick » 31 Jul 2017, 10:44 am

Lorgar wrote:DEPI used to have an interactive map which was good for showing you what was where, but that no longer seems to be online as far as I can find :(

If it's Forestry Explorer you are refrring to, it has moved to: http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShar ... cale=en-AU

I use this extensively. The new one above work on mobile so good in the field too. One thing I haven't spent time working out is the legend, can't bring the one up to tell you what the colours on the map refer to. The lighter green is what you are looking for however, these are state forests.

Hope this helps!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 31 Jul 2017, 12:52 pm

Id probably stay away from dissa and kinglake area, not alot there in terms of little pests and stuff besides the odd rabbit/fox, and they're busy with trail bike riders and 4wders, if i were you i'd head out a bit further, you'll really have to work for ever just a rabbit in the bush, most of the time you'll only see them darting across a track which is a nogo obviously, private property is the best way but i know what it's like trying to find some,i tend just to just go out the bush and sight in..alot
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey