Taxidermise deer head?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Taxidermise deer head?

Post by pete1 » 21 Aug 2017, 7:55 pm

So being hunting rabbits with 22 and shotgun lately and seen quite a few deer. Now I have my new .308, I'm gunna add deer and gun together to equal dinner (hopefully). I'll be shooting it for meat but was thinking If i get one would love a deer head on the wall as well.
I've been told to just freeze the whole head in the freezer if i get one and take it to a Taxidermist, some have said just use salt and some have said to take the skin off boil the skull and then give it to them. Anyone know which is best?
Anyone know a rough cost cause I'd expect there to be a bit of work in it.

Cheers
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Taxidermise deer head?

Post by Daddybang » 23 Aug 2017, 8:30 am

pete1 wrote:So being hunting rabbits with 22 and shotgun lately and seen quite a few deer. Now I have my new .308, I'm gunna add deer and gun together to equal dinner (hopefully). I'll be shooting it for meat but was thinking If i get one would love a deer head on the wall as well.
I've been told to just freeze the whole head in the freezer if i get one and take it to a Taxidermist, some have said just use salt and some have said to take the skin off boil the skull and then give it to them. Anyone know which is best?
Anyone know a rough cost cause I'd expect there to be a bit of work in it.

Cheers

Hey Pete from what I've read taxidermy is not cheap. Best bet would be to ring a taxidermist and ask them if you should freeze or boil etc before ya actually get one that way ya know for sure :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 23 Aug 2017, 10:09 am

Agree with DB. Call a taxidermist for advice and pricing first.

Your other option is a European style trophy mount. See pic below for example:

deer-skulls-deer-antlers.jpg
deer-skulls-deer-antlers.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 3275 times

From what i understand it is a simple process of skinning the skull and boiling to remove all flesh and clean the thing up.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 23 Aug 2017, 10:29 am

Yeah I will occasionally take a head if there's a bit of a story behind it. Boil it down till the meats off and then lay in the sun for a week.
They come up good. :thumbsup:

20170823_081943.jpg
20170823_081943.jpg (572.08 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Aug 2017, 4:05 pm

lucky bugger
my mrs will not have anything dead in the house or on the wall so I have to hang heads in the shed, it's not worth my while getting taxidermy done for the shed
this is my last one from may earlier this year
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Aug 2017, 4:44 pm

marksman wrote:lucky bugger
my mrs will not have anything dead in the house or on the wall so I have to hang heads in the shed, it's not worth my while getting taxidermy done for the shed
this is my last one from may earlier this year

Mate i reckon you blokes down south are lucky i would love to get a set like those. Not much deer in my area. :drinks: as far as the missus is concerned she's the one that reaches for the knives first apparently that's her idea of fun.
:lol: :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

sungazer wrote:There is a certain way to skin the animal as well. You don't want to cut it down the guts all the way up the neck as a large portion of the neck and breast are on display.

On that point, I would also suggest not taking a head shot, unless you want a pretty gory mount ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 28 Aug 2017, 2:37 pm

Gwion wrote:Your other option is a European style trophy mount. See pic below for example:

Nice little addition with the spent case from the cartridge that took the deer being mounted with it.

I haven't seen that done before, I like it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

I thought so too. It's just a random pic from google image search.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by pete1 » 28 Aug 2017, 9:12 pm

So as a cost bloke emailed me back 1500-2500 another 900+. not a cheap exercise, think it will be European style, and i reckon would look nice in house. but first gotta get one to shoot.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 29 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

+1 for including the case along with the trophy.

Really adds something to it.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hugh » 08 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

Around a grand is realistic figure.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria