Ducks in NSW

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Ducks in NSW

Post by Conallin24 » 04 Sep 2017, 8:48 pm

Hi guys, been in Vic for a while and wanted to know what the laws are like over there in nsw. Is there bag limits and what species can you hunt? Lead or steel? Can't use steel in my 20Ga so will be annoyed if it's steel only. Any other stuff I've missed would be good to. Thanks, Campbell
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Ducks in NSW

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Sep 2017, 6:09 am

There is no duck season over there because it was banned, which the antis love droning on about as an argument for why it should banned here also.

What they fail to mention is that you can can shoot all the ducks you want on private property as part of a farners pest control quota, generally over rice around November/December. Southern NSW between Deni and Tocumwal was obscene last year.

Lead is fine and all you need is a NSW R licence (safety test which can be a pain to get and a club membership are prerequistites) and the farmers permission, an SMS will do im pretty sure.

Farmers just want the ducks gone and the more shooters on the rice the better to keep the ducks up so calling around a few regional field and game offices will probably get you a property, just be polite and respectfull and do everything to prove you are a sensible and safe shooter that wont trash the property.

I had a farmer approach me at a cafe last year and invited me to his property which ended up being the best shoot of the year.
Bigjobss

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 10:57 am

Bigjobss wrote:Lead is fine and all you need is a NSW R licence (safety test which can be a pain to get and a club membership are prerequistites) and the farmers permission, an SMS will do im pretty sure.

I thought the R Licence only applies to public lands?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/game- ... game-birds

You could do it under a G-License but if you are going to the effort you may as well get an R and keep your options open.
I never looked into it as I want the R for fallow too.
Bigjobss

Post by pomemax » 05 Sep 2017, 11:31 am

R licence apply s to Public land and game animals on private land
If you not going to shoot in a state forest get a G license. (Game)
R is for forests and private land game animals ( ducks deer and the like ) any feral s on private land your shooting classification on licence and letter of permission is all you need but shoot a Deer/Duck on private land with out a R or G you could end up in a world of hurt .
THE IDEA BEHIND IT SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR SHOOTING be it a deer or a duck (what breed ) my take on it is another level of bull and a way to raise revenue
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 05 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm

sungazer wrote:What about if you have a Primary Producer License. In Vic at least it allows you to shoot on any land used for primary production (with permission of course) you can shoot deer any time of year and even spot light them. I am not sure about ducks as I don't really shoot them If I did it would be not legal anyway as I would use the 22. How does that translate to what can be done in NSW

Waterfowl in NSW are... complicated. I'm pretty sure the following is correct; I looked into doing it but didn't bother in the end. Someone who knows it properly, correct me if I'm wrong:

- There is no "season", but there is a Game Bird Management Program (aka Ducks on Rice...)
- The landowner needs a quota for the landholding from the Dept of Primary Industry, because the purpose is pest eradication
- All the shooters need a game licence (only G, not R, because it's private land). If you are the landowner or an employee I think they waive the fees. That's just the blanket rule in NSW for recreational shooting anything that's not a feral animal, (apart from some deer under very specific circumstances related to pest control) - you need a game licence. The only difference between R and G is public land use, and there isn't any waterfowl shooting on public land. So, G will do it.
- All the shooters also need to have done their Waterfowl Identification Test (WIT) to make sure you don't start blasting pelicans by mistake. Similar fee waivers for landowners and employees.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

Archie wrote:
sungazer wrote:What about if you have a Primary Producer License. In Vic at least it allows you to shoot on any land used for primary production (with permission of course) you can shoot deer any time of year and even spot light them. I am not sure about ducks as I don't really shoot them If I did it would be not legal anyway as I would use the 22. How does that translate to what can be done in NSW

Waterfowl in NSW are... complicated. I'm pretty sure the following is correct; I looked into doing it but didn't bother in the end. Someone who knows it properly, correct me if I'm wrong:

- There is no "season", but there is a Game Bird Management Program (aka Ducks on Rice...)
- The landowner needs a quota for the landholding from the Dept of Primary Industry, because the purpose is pest eradication
- All the shooters need a game licence (only G, not R, because it's private land). If you are the landowner or an employee I think they waive the fees. That's just the blanket rule in NSW for recreational shooting anything that's not a feral animal, (apart from some deer under very specific circumstances related to pest control) - you need a game licence. The only difference between R and G is public land use, and there isn't any waterfowl shooting on public land. So, G will do it.
- All the shooters also need to have done their Waterfowl Identification Test (WIT) to make sure you don't start blasting pelicans by mistake. Similar fee waivers for landowners and employees.

Yep the above is correct and explained in detail the link posted earlier.

Whilst you dont need an R licencse some landowners and F&G members do prefer you to have it as it does come with the public liability insurance, in my experience this has been a benefit when finding new properties.
Bigjobss

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2017, 6:53 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Hi guys, been in Vic for a while and wanted to know what the laws are like over there in nsw. Is there bag limits and what species can you hunt? Lead or steel? Can't use steel in my 20Ga so will be annoyed if it's steel only. Any other stuff I've missed would be good to. Thanks, Campbell

It is generally during the rice season which is about November/December. Get your WIT test done. Get your R Licence. Get your book. Talk to the farmer, see what his permits are for, type and number.

You can use decoys and you can even spotlight them now. You can use lead shot on private land. Take plenty of tropical strength aeroguard, and a big esky because it will be hot.

https://youtu.be/wqap25LvW4A?list=PLVIn ... EJsP1HWqe6

https://youtu.be/LpUat5pOJ3E?list=PLVIn ... EJsP1HWqe6

and here is the 20g with lead.

https://youtu.be/mk-sZG0I8gU
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 19 Jan 2018, 12:42 pm

mchughcb wrote:You can use lead shot on private land.

Not on crown land though, huh?

Better stick with that depleted uranium shot drone ammo then :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey