.260 sniping.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

.260 sniping.

Post by Elmer » 10 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm

Decided to take the .260 this time for some stretch work, shooting at rodents a tad past 700yds with 100gn Noslers , the bunnies never knew where the shots were coming from.
Three went to that great carrot patch in the sky with a fluke head shot on no. one, even though I got these three, the 100grainers were struggling to buck the slight breeze and the drop was a little insane.
Will be starting work on a load with the 143gn eld-x bullets to tag them out to as far as the r/f will read them....
Its a pity the .260 has had a luke warm reception and has taken a back seat to the creed, it is a top little performer ,I just dunno why the arms and in particular ammo manufacturers have not embraced this cal more. In particular Remington, who promoted it and just about killed it off within less than a decade.
cheers.
https://youtu.be/C7OezI9c2Hw
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: .260 sniping.

Post by yoshie » 10 Sep 2017, 11:00 pm

I agree. I make my brass from 243 so ive never had a problem getting brass. I can see the creed dropping buy after case life is less than expected. I also had a 6.5x284, that was a top cartridge but a real barrel burner. I went to the 260 after 6.5x284 for better barrel life, i think people will ditch the creed eventually.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Elmer » 10 Sep 2017, 11:07 pm

I reckon your right, a mate who works in the local gun shop reckons the creed is more of a fad and will probably fade like all the other "super" calibers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Sep 2017, 12:42 am

Nice.

I prefer the .260 videos to the .223 and 22-250 you make.

The VW is a nice touch as well.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 11 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

Elmer wrote:I reckon your right, a mate who works in the local gun shop reckons the creed is more of a fad and will probably fade like all the other "super" calibers.

Think you miss the reason for the CM. It's to use in AR platforms. Same with 300BO.
It will never fall by the side as it's now providing target accuracy for these platforms.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 11 Sep 2017, 3:39 pm

...we will see my friend :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 11 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

another great vid
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 11 Sep 2017, 6:22 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:
Elmer wrote:I reckon your right, a mate who works in the local gun shop reckons the creed is more of a fad and will probably fade like all the other "super" calibers.

Think you miss the reason for the CM. It's to use in AR platforms. Same with 300BO.
It will never fall by the side as it's now providing target accuracy for these platforms.

I think you mean 6.5 Grendal. The 6.5 Creedmore is too long for an ar15. The Creed fits in an ar10 so does the 260. The Creed runs at a higher pressure which is why its preferred over the 260, its parent case is the .30 Thompson Center which was a 308 sizes case that performed like a 300WimMag.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 11 Sep 2017, 10:03 pm

Well, all I can say is, I can't even phone those distances you shoot rabbits at. ;)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Gwion » 12 Sep 2017, 8:37 am

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Well, all I can say is, I can't even phone those distances you shoot rabbits at. ;)

Hahahaha..... Yep. Dude got some skills, for sure!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Sep 2017, 11:35 am

Yoshie, the 6.5 Creedmoor is actually designed to operate at lower chamber pressures. This was to allow easier case extraction, longer case and barrel life than other cartridges in the 6mm/6.5mm class while still delivering higher velocities demanded by U.S National High-power Match shooters..
The shorter case, ( than .260 Rem. ) allows longer bullets to be seated further out , allowing more powder space, and still function in "short" action firearms.
The .260 when loaded with the same longer bullets, have to be seated further into the case, ( displacing powder ), to function in a short action/ magazine.
In performance there is f*ck-all between them, the Creedmoor uses less powder for similar performance, making it more "efficient". ( slightly )
Where it does make a difference is in "felt" recoil and muzzle blast. As someone who suffers from an acquired brain injury, this is a welcome difference.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Elmer, getting back to it, nice shooting by any standards. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 12 Sep 2017, 9:00 pm

marksman wrote:another great vid

:thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Well, all I can say is, I can't even phone those distances you shoot rabbits at. ;)

:lol: Thanks BRNO :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 12 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yoshie, the 6.5 Creedmoor is actually designed to operate at lower chamber pressures. This was to allow easier case extraction, longer case and barrel life than other cartridges in the 6mm/6.5mm class while still delivering higher velocities demanded by U.S National High-power Match shooters..
The shorter case, ( than .260 Rem. ) allows longer bullets to be seated further out , allowing more powder space, and still function in "short" action firearms.
The .260 when loaded with the same longer bullets, have to be seated further into the case, ( displacing powder ), to function in a short action/ magazine.
In performance there is f*ck-all between them, the Creedmoor uses less powder for similar performance, making it more "efficient". ( slightly )
Where it does make a difference is in "felt" recoil and muzzle blast. As someone who suffers from an acquired brain injury, this is a welcome difference.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Elmer, getting back to it, nice shooting by any standards. :thumbsup:

No worries mate , all good :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Kater » 03 Oct 2017, 10:11 am

Elmer wrote:Its a pity the .260 has had a luke warm reception and has taken a back seat to the creed, it is a top little performer ,I just dunno why the arms and in particular ammo manufacturers have not embraced this cal more.

I guess it's what the masses will or won't buy.

Lots of enthusiasts give the .260 props, but it doesn't seem to translate into common choice of ownership for Joe Shooter.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey