Fallow sign and tips

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Fallow sign and tips

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2017, 6:39 am

All you experienced Fallow deer hunters, show us all your rubs, scrapes and other sign. Help out the newbies.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Fallow sign and tips

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Sep 2017, 7:05 am

The snow comes in handy at times! found a heap of these a year or so back whilst out towbogganing with the wife and kids. :D

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

Aha ha ha,,,,
Scottie you forgot to mention perhaps the most important deer,,,,,,, praps the "Dear" on the tow line ?

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Sep 2017, 4:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Aha ha ha,,,,
Scottie you forgot to mention perhaps the most important deer,,,,,,, praps the "Dear" on the tow line ?

:lol:

That's the ol dear :lol: she's great fun and a bloody good shot too. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

I shoot a lot of fallow, they are very pretty and good to eat
as far as sign goes its much the same as other deer, I hunt the fallow on private property where the farmers usually are able to tell me where they see them coming out of the bush so I can go and get a comfy pozzy and wait for them to arrive at first light and last light then shoot them in the head and take them home and eat them. the difference with fallow compared to other deer is they are just grass eaters not browsers so you will find them where you find good grass, dairy farms ect..., I usually do a walk around a property when I first get there to look for hair and prints where they are jumping or pushing through fences, then stay away from the area because if they wind you they will not come out. I have seen fallow come up to a fence where I climbed through two days earlier and they bolted at the fence because they scented me, fallow usually live there life around the area they are born unless they are pressured out of an area, at the moment I am giving them a wide birth as the does are pregers and the bucks are in the bush getting new head gear, but the Reds are about to flush so that might be a better option at the moment
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2017, 10:22 pm

"Reds are about to flush"

Is that giving birth?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2017, 9:47 am

when Reds flush they just eat grass and a lot of it for about two months to build up, I know it as flushing
the rest of the year they are browsers
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2017, 3:07 pm

cheers Oldbloke
Ted Mitchell snr is a god damn legend isn't he, I have read a few of his articles and I believe everything he says :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rippah » 19 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

I just following the sign that says Venison at the butcher :mrgreen:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by johnblackpigs » 20 Sep 2017, 12:42 am

Great article by Anton ,clear and really informative ;I'm also just getting interested in fallow deer and where they may be found in Victoria generally speaking .
johnblackpigs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2018, 11:39 am

Soooo, when do the bucks do most of their grunting and fighting. Night time, dawn, dusk?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Mar 2018, 12:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Soooo, when do the bucks do most of their grunting and fighting. Night time, dawn, dusk?

Soon as the weather starts turning cold they should start grunting etc, I don't know if they worry what time of day it is really. :drinks:

By the way I whacked one on the way home from cutting wood the other week - with a 3000kg BT-50 projectile :lol: turned it into Snitzels and casseroles and stews

https://imgur.com/a/ULLVl
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 20 Mar 2018, 1:38 pm

its still pretty dry in the bush they may not be very vocal, but wont be long
still a bit of velvet about
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Mar 2018, 3:16 pm

Went for a walk this morning on a property that has very low numbers of fallow. Didn't lay eyes on one, but found a bit of scat, not fresh enough to get overly excited about..........poop loads better than being at work though

_20180323_154012.JPG
_20180323_154012.JPG (519.03 KiB) Viewed 10060 times

_20180323_153945.JPG
_20180323_153945.JPG (530.29 KiB) Viewed 10060 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2018, 3:44 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Went for a walk this morning on a property that has very low numbers of fallow. Didn't lay eyes on one, but found a bit of scat, not fresh enough to get overly excited about..........poop loads better than being at work though

_20180323_154012.JPG[/attachment

[attachment=0]_20180323_153945.JPG

It’s a start BA you just need to track down the water and feed/bedding areas now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Mar 2018, 7:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:Went for a walk this morning on a property that has very low numbers of fallow. Didn't lay eyes on one, but found a bit of scat, not fresh enough to get overly excited about..........poop loads better than being at work though

_20180323_154012.JPG[/attachment

[attachment=0]_20180323_153945.JPG

It’s a start BA you just need to track down the water and feed/bedding areas now.

Yeah they pop up occasionally, just not consistently on a couple of cameras. The scrub is thick and there's so many kangaroos on the place I'm struggling to work out whats using which bedding area........

There's no permanent water on this block, but I secured access to one of the neighbours properties today that has a small dam on it and is a little more open. I'm hoping that dam might be their watering point, but the landowner reckons the deer are very transient and that they very rarely see them. If that dam is not where they are watering, it'll be more door knocking.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Mar 2018, 7:07 pm

better to find springs, rivers, running creeks as the deer don't like stagnant water
if they have been to the dam you will see the hoof prints in the mud

the fallow are transient as in they use different areas at different times but there home range is not that great
not like reds or sambar, sounds like you are looking in an area where they are passing through
I have shot fallow on farms where the cocky has said he has never seen deer

forgot to say to remember when you see them passing through as next season they will be around at that time :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Mar 2018, 8:28 pm

I have a similar problem. Last year & the one before only got 1 or 2 chances to check my spot out and saw a few, but running only. So I didnt take a shot. A bit better organised this year, been twice & very little sign & no sightings.! Buggers seem to have moved.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Mar 2018, 9:14 pm

marksman wrote:better to find springs, rivers, running creeks

the fallow are transient as in they use different areas at different times but there home range is not that great

I have shot fallow on farms where the cocky has said he has never seen deer
:

There's no running water within cooee of this place at this time of year, but they're definitely there, just not in abundance. The landowner owner says he has shot one and only seen three in several years. I've seen more than that on my cameras in the last 3 months.....
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Mar 2018, 9:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have a similar problem. Last year & the one before only got 1 or 2 chances to check my spot out and saw a few, but running only. So I didnt take a shot. A bit better organised this year, been twice & very little sign & no sightings.! Buggers seem to have moved.

Sounds about right, sat very carefully and quietly over a prime spot for a few hours last week, then swapped out the SD card on a camera, there was a nice buck at that spot at that time just two days earlier....... Patience is a virtue :-)
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Mar 2018, 10:00 am

OK, so out looking for pesky red coats this morning at another property and I found this. Is this fallow or something else messing with my head ? I've stuck a camera over the spot but probably left so much scent behind nothing will come near it for days........

_20180329_102459.JPG
_20180329_102459.JPG (480.64 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2018, 10:30 am

Looks big enough to be Sambar! Must be a Red. But just guessing. Never seen Red poop. All looks the same to me. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2018, 9:07 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:OK, so out looking for pesky red coats this morning at another property and I found this. Is this fallow or something else messing with my head ? I've stuck a camera over the spot but probably left so much scent behind nothing will come near it for days........

_20180329_102459.JPG

Well, this is kangaroos
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 03 Jul 2018, 5:34 pm

went for a look in the state forest this morning since I just got my r license...no sooner had I turned in there and 3 fallow ran across the road in front of me

I found this tree on the other side of the place, don't know much about deer but I assume it was rubbed up at some stage by one?
Attachments
36508072_10156392221945890_2713352074648616960_n (1).jpg
36508072_10156392221945890_2713352074648616960_n (1).jpg (667.64 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2018, 7:57 pm

It certainly looks like it
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Geeetrain » 17 Feb 2019, 11:39 am

Hi
I realise this is an old post but some great info... fairly new to deer stalking so excuse the silly questions... :twisted:

Does sambar poop look different to fallow poop....how do you tell the difference between fallow sign and sambar sign

Do both the deer tracks look the same how can you tell if you are stalking a sambar or fallow? (Or in my case a few times l found l was stalking a wallaby)

I heard fallow plough the ground like pigs or is that not true l have lots of sambar in my area and never seen a fallow but heard a few rumours last year fallow have started to show up in my area l hunt in the Cheshunt area

Is it worth sitting and using a fallow caller if you can't hear or never heard anything grunting how far would the be called in from

As fallow are grass eaters and,not browsers are they only found on the fringe areas and not in forset areas and not in the same places as sambar are found

Cheers
Greg
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2019, 7:30 am

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/hooked-on-fallow

PS the poop above is almost certainly sambar. Fallow should look the same, just smaller. Poop size is just determined by animal size
Last edited by Oldbloke on 18 Feb 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2019, 7:44 am

Fallow rub.jpeg
Fallow rub.jpeg (62.62 KiB) Viewed 7821 times

I believe this is a typical fallow rub.

Fallow scrape.jpeg
Fallow scrape.jpeg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 7821 times

I believe this is a typical fallow scrape

They don t dig like pigs, just scrape and piss
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2019, 8:27 am

Still learning here. But from my observations feed on pasture and bed down in the bush nearby.

Rut starts late march if cold enough for a few weeks only. Stags croak like frogs during the rut.

Youtube is your friend.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey