Parking vehicle at hunting site

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Parking vehicle at hunting site

Post by winton » 20 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

Guys
I've heard that some hunters vehicle are vandalized, broken into, or pushed of the track as they've parked their vehicle before going of on their hunt.

Is there some truth to this? Is it a regular thing? A risk that hunters put up with?

If so, what precautions do people take. I can't imagine it would be fun to have your tricked up 4x4 get damaged or have parts of it stolen.

I'd like to get views on where hunters park their vehicle, what part of the trail. Whats the decision making here to mitigate risk. Do you guys even bother?
Any stories of note?
Thanks
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Parking vehicle at hunting site

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

I have heard the same about cars being vandalised ect.. while hunters are away hunting and have met a guy who had made a camp shot a deer and was approached by several vehicles who acted as if the guy was in there back yard, he agreed to move on and they left , for these reasons in the firearms licence safety test you are taught that if you leave firearms at camp or car you must have a fully licenced person stay at camp with the firearms or take them with you, it is not in the act so its not law but it is thought to be a good idea, it is taught as if it is law and will probably be one of those things that gets snuck into the act eventually

yes it happened in Vic,
I also heard about greenys putting holes in hunters tyres at Hospital swamp at the back of lake connewarre near geelong in the 2016 duck season, about a dozen cars got all there tyres punctured by the greeny ******, nobody carry's 4 spare tyres
Last edited by marksman on 21 Sep 2017, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 21 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

I guess it's a case by case thing, state forests I've been to so far in the New England area are far enough away from anyone else and major cities that I've not really been too worried with vandalism etc, Usually the only one in the park. I guess in the more popular parts down south it might be different, take usual precautions, no firearms stickers, hide valuables etc.

might be the rolls of duct tape, coils of rope, seed bags and shovel in the back of my pajero that keeps people away though.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 21 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm

Yeah i've heard about it also, but never had a problem here in Vic, i usually try to tuck it away in somewhere out of the way where it won't bother anyone and lock and cover everything up inside, i own a jeep so no one wants it anyway :p i alwayss hold off a bit before breaking cover of the tree's, you never know what hunting opportunities have sprung up while your gone ;)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Sep 2017, 1:22 pm

Been visiting state forests for hunting for 2.5 years now, never had an issue. Then again my late model Suby XV doesn't look like a hunting vehicle so I'd wager most people would think I'm just a bush walker (oh how wrong they are :twisted:).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 21 Sep 2017, 1:25 pm

winton wrote:Guys
I've heard that some hunters vehicle are vandalized, broken into, or pushed of the track as they've parked their vehicle before going of on their hunt.

Is this something where vandals are targeting hunters in general (as a form of protest / harassment) - or vehicles in general?

If it's more hunter targeting, leaving a bird watching book out on the dash or something to put them off the scent of what you're really doing could be a cheap option and disinterest them.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Archie » 21 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

doc wrote:

Is this something where vandals are targeting hunters in general (as a form of protest / harassment) - or vehicles in general?

If it's more hunter targeting, leaving a bird watching book out on the dash or something to put them off the scent of what you're really doing could be a cheap option and disinterest them.

If its' vehicles in general - on a similar topic a long time back someone suggested leaving an empty rifle bag on the front seat to dissuade someone. You'd want it to be very clearly, visibly empty though - you wouldn't to encourage some real moron to try and smash the window because they thought the rifle was in it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 21 Sep 2017, 3:24 pm

doc wrote:

Interesting suggestion!

You see some guys driving around with SSAA Spika, winchester every" i shoot guns and most likely have some in the car "sticker under sun, makes me laugh
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2017, 3:35 pm

doc wrote:

Good idea. .unless a bunch of hunters that don't like twitchers comes along!!! :lol: :sarcasm: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Hugh » 21 Sep 2017, 4:02 pm

Not shooting but fishing around Bermagui our indigenous brethren were so bad I would empty car and leave it unlocked after the fourth side window was smashed with them looting.Local cops of course weren't interested even when I got their number plate twice.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by winton » 21 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

Thanks all for the reply

marksman wrote:and was approached by several vehicles who acted as if the guy was in there back yard, he agreed to move on and they left , for these reasons in the firearms licence safety test you are taught that if you leave firearms at camp or car you must have a fully licenced person stay at camp with the firearms or take them with you

Was this in Victoria? State Forest? I know its never a good idea to bring more than one rifle on a trip. I know a guy who does, but he has purpose built trays on the back of his ute to lock em in.

scotty87 wrote:Usually the only one in the park.

Do you park in designated parking spots there (are there any) or of the side of the road? I get the feeling that if you make it inconvenient for locals in anyway, they can take matters into their own hands. But then again in state forest, everyone entering aren't really local but users like us.

AusTac wrote:i usually try to tuck it away in somewhere out of the way where it won't bother anyone

Same here. But getting off the track can be dicey with the street tyres I've got on.

YoungBuck wrote:Been visiting state forests for hunting for 2.5 years now, never had an issue.

Which one do you go to?

YoungBuck wrote:Then again my late model Suby XV doesn't look like a hunting vehicle

I wander what looks like a hunting vehicle?
Something new, high riding 4x4 ute (fancy Ranger Wildtrak)??
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 21 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

doc wrote:Is this something where vandals are targeting hunters in general (as a form of protest / harassment) - or vehicles in general?

Could be both. But generally people who do this are Scum anyway. Would a vehicle of the side of the road be identified as a hunter? What else could it be?

doc wrote:If it's more hunter targeting, leaving a bird watching book out on the dash or something to put them off the scent of what you're really doing could be a cheap option and disinterest them.

You might get guys who don't like greenies.

Archie wrote:If its' vehicles in general - on a similar topic a long time back someone suggested leaving an empty rifle bag on the front seat to dissuade someone. You'd want it to be very clearly, visibly empty though - you wouldn't to encourage some real moron to try and smash the window because they thought the rifle was in it.

I think its more likely to encourage theft. After all, they're morons, they'll act like one.

Guys I've spoke to say its just the luck of the draw.but obviously we can minimize the risk.

I usually carry a jerry can of extra fuel in the back. I'm going to have to ditch that now seeing as it could be stolen or used against my vehicle. Am I paranoid?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Sep 2017, 5:13 pm

Personally I'd put a sign on the dashboard telling em this vehicle is under camera surveillance or bung a Coppers hat in there somewhere :D (mate has one he puts on the back sill along with some other cop paraphernalia and he always gets let off if pulled over :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Sep 2017, 5:29 pm

Could always put on a sign on the dashboard

"If you are reading this, you are within range"
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 21 Sep 2017, 5:48 pm

winton wrote:Thanks all for the reply

marksman wrote:and was approached by several vehicles who acted as if the guy was in there back yard, he agreed to move on and they left , for these reasons in the firearms licence safety test you are taught that if you leave firearms at camp or car you must have a fully licenced person stay at camp with the firearms or take them with you

Was this in Victoria? State Forest? I know its never a good idea to bring more than one rifle on a trip. I know a guy who does, but he has purpose built trays on the back of his ute to lock em in.

scotty87 wrote:Usually the only one in the park.

Do you park in designated parking spots there (are there any) or of the side of the road? I get the feeling that if you make it inconvenient for locals in anyway, they can take matters into their own hands. But then again in state forest, everyone entering aren't really local but users like us.

AusTac wrote:i usually try to tuck it away in somewhere out of the way where it won't bother anyone

Same here. But getting off the track can be dicey with the street tyres I've got on.

YoungBuck wrote:Been visiting state forests for hunting for 2.5 years now, never had an issue.

Which one do you go to?

YoungBuck wrote:Then again my late model Suby XV doesn't look like a hunting vehicle

I wander what looks like a hunting vehicle?

Meant usually the only user in the state forest, especially on weekdays, weekends you might have trail bike riders but they are usually respectful of private property.

Park anywhere off the firetrail I'm travelling on in the ones I've been to so far.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Sep 2017, 7:24 pm

winton wrote:I wander what looks like a hunting vehicle?

Probably my 2000 Hilux with a lift kit, bull bar and 32" muddies! Typical deer murdering rig, only missing the dog boxes on the back and Spika stickers.

I try to hunt far away from everyone so never ran into any trouble, and if I am away from my car for a night or more it is only midweek that I plan these adventures.
I am more worried about my car being vandalised at home than out in the bush.
Just be sensible like everyone has said and dont invite trouble.

Leaving a decoy could work either way I guess, appearing like a greeny could get you vandalised by a bogan and appearing like a hunter could get you vandalised by greenies or robbed by bogans.
Maybe leave a fishing magazine if you are near a waterway! They are pretty neutral, or a field geology handbook, now that would work better than an alarm system.
Bigjobss

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Sep 2017, 7:33 pm

Not limited to but pretty much any 4WD that may have - rifle/ammo stickers attached, spotlight on the roof or dog cage in/on the back.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

Just going to pop this here and move on...

https://youtu.be/JyAHxu_VQh8
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

yes it happened in Victorian state forests
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by winton » 22 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

marksman wrote:yes it happened in Victorian state forests

Drug crops perhaps?

bentaz wrote:Leave a trailcam to watch the car if you're worried.

I thought about that, but I'd rather prevent than cure..
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 22 Sep 2017, 3:37 pm

Bigjobss wrote:

Probably my 2000 Hilux with a lift kit, bull bar and 32" muddies! Typical deer murdering rig, only missing the dog boxes on the back and Spika stickers.

I try to hunt far away from everyone so never ran into any trouble, and if I am away from my car for a night or more it is only midweek that I plan these adventures.
I am more worried about my car being vandalised at home than out in the bush.
Just be sensible like everyone has said and dont invite trouble.

Leaving a decoy could work either way I guess, appearing like a greeny could get you vandalised by a bogan and appearing like a hunter could get you vandalised by greenies or robbed by bogans.
Maybe leave a fishing magazine if you are near a waterway! They are pretty neutral, or a field geology handbook, now that would work better than an alarm system.

Some very good tips here.

Do you make any special effort to hide your vehicle or park it in a more secluded spot?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 23 Sep 2017, 2:12 pm

I just park it out of the way.
My two regular hunting spots are at the end of dead-end tracks deep in off the main track, that way I rarely see anyone else as there isnt any through-traffic.

I setup a camp about a couple km from where i start hunting and leave everything there and drive down to the end and parkup on the side of the track, with anything valuable in the car.
I leave the swag, chair, table etc back at camp, eveything else is in cargo cases so i can quickly load and unload.
Bigjobss

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Sep 2017, 7:47 pm

If I was concerned about my vehicles safety I'd set a trail cam up nearby.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by winton » 26 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

I suppose parking in a remote track reduces the risk of vandalism and theft. In cases like these have people ever use their recovery gear to get them out of tricky situations? I normally carry a chain saw in the back
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 26 Sep 2017, 6:25 pm

winton wrote:Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

I suppose parking in a remote track reduces the risk of vandalism and theft. In cases like these have people ever use their recovery gear to get them out of tricky situations? I normally carry a chain saw in the back

You generally have to pull the bullbar of to mount a winch, not an easy job in a hurry in the bush, dont think there would be too many winches stolen this way
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 26 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

Spent 20 years fishing, camping, hiking in BFN in Vic and never had a problem leaving my vehicle for a day or a week at the side of a road or at the end of some back country track. Mind you, I had a couple of mates leave a vehicle in a NP car park and come back from a day walk to find windows smashed and all their gear gone. Day 2 into their 2 week planned road trip up the east coast and it was time to turn around and come home. That would have been mid-late 90s.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by winton » 14 Dec 2017, 1:02 pm

Gwion wrote: That would have been mid-late 90s.

I guess more people are better off now that they don't have to resort to these things.

Thanks to our booming economy.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2017, 1:44 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
winton wrote:Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

You generally have to pull the bullbar of to mount a winch, not an easy job in a hurry in the bush, dont think there would be too many winches stolen this way

I pulled the bullbar of the BT the other day took about 5mins if that to remove it (used a mates Milwarlkie battery powered hand tool to do it (love those things) super fast and easy. I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by winton » 18 Dec 2017, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:

Mounting on the bullbar?

How wide is your Lightbar?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:

I pulled the bullbar of the BT the other day took about 5mins if that to remove it (used a mates Milwarlkie battery powered hand tool to do it (love those things) super fast and easy. I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:

I know who Im calling next time I need front end work :drinks:
Bigjobss

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey