Parking vehicle at hunting site

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Parking vehicle at hunting site

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

yes it happened in Victorian state forests
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by winton » 22 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

marksman wrote:yes it happened in Victorian state forests

Drug crops perhaps?

bentaz wrote:Leave a trailcam to watch the car if you're worried.

I thought about that, but I'd rather prevent than cure..
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 22 Sep 2017, 3:37 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
winton wrote:I wander what looks like a hunting vehicle?
Something new, high riding 4x4 ute (fancy Ranger Wildtrak)??

Probably my 2000 Hilux with a lift kit, bull bar and 32" muddies! Typical deer murdering rig, only missing the dog boxes on the back and Spika stickers.

I try to hunt far away from everyone so never ran into any trouble, and if I am away from my car for a night or more it is only midweek that I plan these adventures.
I am more worried about my car being vandalised at home than out in the bush.
Just be sensible like everyone has said and dont invite trouble.

Leaving a decoy could work either way I guess, appearing like a greeny could get you vandalised by a bogan and appearing like a hunter could get you vandalised by greenies or robbed by bogans.
Maybe leave a fishing magazine if you are near a waterway! They are pretty neutral, or a field geology handbook, now that would work better than an alarm system.

Some very good tips here.

Do you make any special effort to hide your vehicle or park it in a more secluded spot?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 23 Sep 2017, 2:12 pm

I just park it out of the way.
My two regular hunting spots are at the end of dead-end tracks deep in off the main track, that way I rarely see anyone else as there isnt any through-traffic.

I setup a camp about a couple km from where i start hunting and leave everything there and drive down to the end and parkup on the side of the track, with anything valuable in the car.
I leave the swag, chair, table etc back at camp, eveything else is in cargo cases so i can quickly load and unload.
Bigjobss

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Sep 2017, 7:47 pm

If I was concerned about my vehicles safety I'd set a trail cam up nearby.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by winton » 26 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

I suppose parking in a remote track reduces the risk of vandalism and theft. In cases like these have people ever use their recovery gear to get them out of tricky situations? I normally carry a chain saw in the back
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 26 Sep 2017, 6:25 pm

winton wrote:Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

I suppose parking in a remote track reduces the risk of vandalism and theft. In cases like these have people ever use their recovery gear to get them out of tricky situations? I normally carry a chain saw in the back

You generally have to pull the bullbar of to mount a winch, not an easy job in a hurry in the bush, dont think there would be too many winches stolen this way
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 26 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

Spent 20 years fishing, camping, hiking in BFN in Vic and never had a problem leaving my vehicle for a day or a week at the side of a road or at the end of some back country track. Mind you, I had a couple of mates leave a vehicle in a NP car park and come back from a day walk to find windows smashed and all their gear gone. Day 2 into their 2 week planned road trip up the east coast and it was time to turn around and come home. That would have been mid-late 90s.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by winton » 14 Dec 2017, 1:02 pm

Gwion wrote: That would have been mid-late 90s.

I guess more people are better off now that they don't have to resort to these things.

Thanks to our booming economy.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2017, 1:44 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
winton wrote:Has anyone done anything to their bull bars to prevent say the theft of a winch? thinking about getting a winch/bullbar for the 4x4.

You generally have to pull the bullbar of to mount a winch, not an easy job in a hurry in the bush, dont think there would be too many winches stolen this way

I pulled the bullbar of the BT the other day took about 5mins if that to remove it (used a mates Milwarlkie battery powered hand tool to do it (love those things) super fast and easy. I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by winton » 18 Dec 2017, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:

Mounting on the bullbar?

How wide is your Lightbar?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:

I pulled the bullbar of the BT the other day took about 5mins if that to remove it (used a mates Milwarlkie battery powered hand tool to do it (love those things) super fast and easy. I was mounting a 320w LED Lightbar and needed to do some cutting on the back so I could get spanners in to do the bar mounts up. :thumbsup:

I know who Im calling next time I need front end work :drinks:
Bigjobss

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey