Recovery after a hike or stalking

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Recovery after a hike or stalking

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

Sounds to me we all enjoy the same thing with variance...

The "lazy & opportunistic" approach to hunting is defined by each individual, & can also be costly & without reward too...

For example, i just returned from a quick overnight bunny chasing jaunt with the ol'man...
He is an old school trapper & i can say from an unbiased point of view he is dam good at it--he can read a warren & surrounding land better than he can read english...!
Some would say trapping is lazy & opportunistic--taking the easy way.

I like spotlighting, & sniping from a distance, but is that not an opportunistic approach too...?--just look for eyes & shoot or wait for the bunny to rise for a feed...

As it turns out...
*3-4hrs of spotlighting=1 chest shot rabbit with busted spine(shot while in the cover of grass-guessing where its head was), (also 1 fox pup).
*4-5 hrs trapping=15 very clean young bunnies for devine table meat...

My ol'man used to gut in the field...now he takes all bunnies back to base where he has a gambrel type set up for bunnies (a hook tied with wire to a rafter).
He skins, guts & dresses using this method as his legs are not the best for squatting nearing 70yrs so the least he does the better.
Is that a lazy approach, or an efficient method of dressing out ...?

Is either of the above approaches defined as "true hunting". ..?

No point in us jumping to conclusions without first qualifying what someone meant.

We all enjoy many variations of putting food on the table & we should be supportive of each other while not being "precious"...

I cant be bothered trapping, but ill do it every opportunity i get with the ol'man while he's here...!!!

PS...i do believe shooting a deer thats been rounded up in a pen is not hunting..! Rather its paying to kill & dress your own meat...
Just like "trout fishing" at a trout farm is not "going fishing"...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 03 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

I am quickly learning that there are appropriate times to be "lazy" - the key is knowing when!
No point busting you arse and spooking all the deer or walking right past them, but then sometimes you have to work hard to get to these spots.
Every trip into the bush is a learning experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 03 Oct 2017, 7:40 pm

Stix wrote:The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

The "lazy & opportunistic" approach to hunting is defined by each individual, & can also be costly & without reward too...

For example, i just returned from a quick overnight bunny chasing jaunt with the ol'man...
He is an old school trapper & i can say from an unbiased point of view he is dam good at it--he can read a warren & surrounding land better than he can read english...!

I like spotlighting, & sniping from a distance, but is that not an opportunistic approach too...?--just look for eyes & shoot or wait for the bunny to rise for a feed...

As it turns out...
*3-4hrs of spotlighting=1 chest shot rabbit with busted spine(shot while in the cover of grass-guessing where its head was), (also 1 fox pup).

My ol'man used to gut in the field...now he takes all bunnies back to base where he has a gambrel type set up for bunnies (a hook tied with wire to a rafter).
He skins, guts & dresses using this method as his legs are not the best for squatting nearing 70yrs so the least he does the better.

No point in us jumping to conclusions without first qualifying what someone meant.

We all enjoy many variations of putting food on the table & we should be supportive of each other while not being "precious"...

I cant be bothered trapping, but ill do it every opportunity i get with the ol'man while he's here...!!!

PS...i do believe shooting a deer thats been rounded up in a pen is not hunting..! Rather its paying to kill & dress your own meat...

IMO "true hunting" is doing whatever it takes to get meat to survive, many thousands of years of this have passed with methods that would probably seem unethical to the average recreational hunter of today.
Therefore you could argue that any form of hunting today, as long as it is legal, is accetable and should be free of judgement.
The grey area is as you stated with not completely wild animals, guess its a cases by case basis, too many variables, but killing an animal in pen would definitely not be hunting, killing an animal in a many thousand acre reserve probably not be as easy, closer to hunting but I have no first hand experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 03 Oct 2017, 8:30 pm

Stix wrote:The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

As it turns out...

We all cook a curry different as long as someone is enjoying what they do and aren't effing with someone else's ability to do the same it's all good :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Diesel » 04 Oct 2017, 9:05 am

bladeracer wrote:
Enjoy the venison :-)

Enjoy the taste of paper mate.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Sheesh...bit harsh... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

Stix wrote:
Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Nah, I laughed :-)
It was a great reposte I thought.
I did shoot some paper this arvo, still trying to skin it now...bloody nightmare!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 5:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:
Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Nah, I laughed :-)
It was a great reposte I thought.
I did shoot some paper this arvo, still trying to skin it now...bloody nightmare!

Try gutting it first before skinning...
:clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 1:23 pm

Be a good union member. Go slow.
Shoot more & less tired.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey