Recovery after a hike or stalking

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Recovery after a hike or stalking

Post by Corn » 26 Sep 2017, 8:21 am

Bigjobss wrote:
No supplements?
I STRONGLY recomend a mouthfull of everything by Onnit Labs washed down with some CaveMan Coffee :lol:

:thumbsup:

That CaveMan coffee seems like an interesting drink!! :wtf:
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

albat wrote:The best thing about getting older is you get more patient :thumbsup:

smarter too :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 26 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

albat wrote:The best thing about getting older is you get more patient :thumbsup:

The old sayings:
- "walk little, look a lot"
- "not seeing the forest for the trees"

and as they say in fishing:
- "there's no point putting your bait where the fish ain't!"
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Diesel » 26 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm

Shot three fallow this year, walked less than 200 meters from the bus each time, about two hours before dawn. Sat down and waited for the sun to rise. They were all swinging in the breeze before 8am whilst I was eating breakfast.

I can't be bothered stalking anymore, too old.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

Diesel wrote:Shot three fallow this year, walked less than 200 meters from the bus each time, about two hours before dawn. Sat down and waited for the sun to rise. They were all swinging in the breeze before 8am whilst I was eating breakfast.

I can't be bothered stalking anymore, too old.

I'll be happy as long as I don't turn into an American "hunter" and start taking a folding chair out with me to sit in a hut, lay out bait and wait for the game to come to me - that's not bloody hunting :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Sep 2017, 6:45 pm

I'm guilty. Just bought a folding stool.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 26 Sep 2017, 7:47 pm

Those blokes in america sit in a tree all day freezing their nuts off what could possibly go wrong there !
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diesel » 29 Sep 2017, 8:59 am

bladeracer wrote:I'll be happy as long as I don't turn into an American "hunter" and start taking a folding chair out with me to sit in a hut, lay out bait and wait for the game to come to me - that's not bloody hunting :-)

Is there a certain amount of pain or suffering you need to undergo before it becomes legitimate hunting? Heckler303 seems to think if you are overweight, middle aged and use a .300WM it isn't considered hunting.

Could someone please show me these rules I need to follow so I know when I am actually hunting rather than simply going to the butcher(in actual fact deer hunting is simply meat on the table for me).

Every year I try and give a couple of people the chance to shoot a deer, next year I will make sure they walk around for a week or two in the bush with no result so they get a true hunting experience( hang on isn't that bushwalking?)

So be it.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

Diesel wrote:Is there a certain amount of pain or suffering you need to undergo before it becomes legitimate hunting? Heckler303 seems to think if you are overweight, middle aged and use a .300WM it isn't considered hunting.

Could someone please show me these rules I need to follow so I know when I am actually hunting rather than simply going to the butcher(in actual fact deer hunting is simply meat on the table for me).

Every year I try and give a couple of people the chance to shoot a deer, next year I will make sure they walk around for a week or two in the bush with no result so they get a true hunting experience( hang on isn't that bushwalking?)

So be it.

There doesn't need to be any pain or suffering when you're hunting, you're supposed to be enjoying simply being at one with nature.
I watched a video recently about how to process a deer. Except it was English so the deer was simply driven up to in a fenced field and shot with a .30-06 from the roof of the vehicle by a client paying for the privilege of "hunting a deer". Then he drove up to the fallen deer where a bench was unfolded and the carcass laid on top for processing. He required half-a-dozen knives for different purposes and 40-liters of water to keep his hands clean. After the basic prep he then unfolded a hoist that mounts on the vehicle towball to raise the carcass for skinning and to drop the entrails.
I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to fit a vehicle into my pack let alone the literal half-ton of other junk he "needed" :-)

I think the best thing an over-weight, middle-aged bloke can do for his health is to get out on foot in the bush instead of merely driving through it. But filling the freezer is just shooting rather than hunting, the same as if I shoot a cow or sheep on the farm. Hunting is more than merely shooting and butchering. Hunting is more about finding the game, and then closing surreptitiously with it to take a clean kill without the animal ever knowing it's being hunted.

I would certainly help people to "hunt" deer whether they actually came home with one or not, I wouldn't help anybody to simply drive up to a herd to shoot one and go home believing they've been "hunting".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diesel » 02 Oct 2017, 9:43 pm

Ummm, I also have a towball mounted gambrel and a hand washing unit on my flat tray, beats the ****** out of bending over or kneeling and it is nice to be able to rinse off.

I have done it the "hard" way in the past but the need to wear leg braces discourages this middle aged slightly overweight male from enjoying hard stalks anymore, your inference that a good walk would do me good is insulting.

And nope, YOU may not class set piece, drives or culls as hunting but there are quite a few new shooters that have been rapt to deck their first deer- so screw you, go back to your paper targets and lattes. Just remember that hunting has always been about putting meat on the table, purism tends to destroy this.

Anyway, I have about three kilos of fallow to mince up with pork fat into rissole mix and re freeze ready for bathurst weekend before I finally get to go to bed.

Call it hunting or shooting? I call it eating meat.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 02 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:There doesn't need to be any pain or suffering when you're hunting, you're supposed to be enjoying simply being at one with nature.
I watched a video recently about how to process a deer. Except it was English so the deer was simply driven up to in a fenced field and shot with a .30-06 from the roof of the vehicle by a client paying for the privilege of "hunting a deer". Then he drove up to the fallen deer where a bench was unfolded and the carcass laid on top for processing. He required half-a-dozen knives for different purposes and 40-liters of water to keep his hands clean. After the basic prep he then unfolded a hoist that mounts on the vehicle towball to raise the carcass for skinning and to drop the entrails.
I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to fit a vehicle into my pack let alone the literal half-ton of other junk he "needed" :-)

I think the best thing an over-weight, middle-aged bloke can do for his health is to get out on foot in the bush instead of merely driving through it. But filling the freezer is just shooting rather than hunting, the same as if I shoot a cow or sheep on the farm. Hunting is more than merely shooting and butchering. Hunting is more about finding the game, and then closing surreptitiously with it to take a clean kill without the animal ever knowing it's being hunted.

I would certainly help people to "hunt" deer whether they actually came home with one or not, I wouldn't help anybody to simply drive up to a herd to shoot one and go home believing they've been "hunting".

Good explanation of the difference between shooting and hunting :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2017, 6:00 am

Diesel wrote:Ummm, I also have a towball mounted gambrel and a hand washing unit on my flat tray, beats the ****** out of bending over or kneeling and it is nice to be able to rinse off.

I have done it the "hard" way in the past but the need to wear leg braces discourages this middle aged slightly overweight male from enjoying hard stalks anymore, your inference that a good walk would do me good is insulting.

And nope, YOU may not class set piece, drives or culls as hunting but there are quite a few new shooters that have been rapt to deck their first deer- so screw you, go back to your paper targets and lattes. Just remember that hunting has always been about putting meat on the table, purism tends to destroy this.

Anyway, I have about three kilos of fallow to mince up with pork fat into rissole mix and re freeze ready for bathurst weekend before I finally get to go to bed.

Call it hunting or shooting? I call it eating meat.

You remind me of a mate of mine who was also permanently disabled. He liked to get offended by everything as well. On the other hand, another mate of mine who was paralysed in a motocross race crash went on to race superbikes quite successfully instead, and is currently racing boats. The need to feel insulted by things people say that know nothing about your situation is ridiculous. Do you disagree that a good walk in the bush is a very good thing for a middle-aged, over-weight bloke?

Whether I call your method hunting or shooting should be irrelevant to you.

Enjoy the venison :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

Sounds to me we all enjoy the same thing with variance...

The "lazy & opportunistic" approach to hunting is defined by each individual, & can also be costly & without reward too...

For example, i just returned from a quick overnight bunny chasing jaunt with the ol'man...
He is an old school trapper & i can say from an unbiased point of view he is dam good at it--he can read a warren & surrounding land better than he can read english...!
Some would say trapping is lazy & opportunistic--taking the easy way.

I like spotlighting, & sniping from a distance, but is that not an opportunistic approach too...?--just look for eyes & shoot or wait for the bunny to rise for a feed...

As it turns out...
*3-4hrs of spotlighting=1 chest shot rabbit with busted spine(shot while in the cover of grass-guessing where its head was), (also 1 fox pup).
*4-5 hrs trapping=15 very clean young bunnies for devine table meat...

My ol'man used to gut in the field...now he takes all bunnies back to base where he has a gambrel type set up for bunnies (a hook tied with wire to a rafter).
He skins, guts & dresses using this method as his legs are not the best for squatting nearing 70yrs so the least he does the better.
Is that a lazy approach, or an efficient method of dressing out ...?

Is either of the above approaches defined as "true hunting". ..?

No point in us jumping to conclusions without first qualifying what someone meant.

We all enjoy many variations of putting food on the table & we should be supportive of each other while not being "precious"...

I cant be bothered trapping, but ill do it every opportunity i get with the ol'man while he's here...!!!

PS...i do believe shooting a deer thats been rounded up in a pen is not hunting..! Rather its paying to kill & dress your own meat...
Just like "trout fishing" at a trout farm is not "going fishing"...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 03 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

I am quickly learning that there are appropriate times to be "lazy" - the key is knowing when!
No point busting you arse and spooking all the deer or walking right past them, but then sometimes you have to work hard to get to these spots.
Every trip into the bush is a learning experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 03 Oct 2017, 7:40 pm

Stix wrote:The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

The "lazy & opportunistic" approach to hunting is defined by each individual, & can also be costly & without reward too...

For example, i just returned from a quick overnight bunny chasing jaunt with the ol'man...
He is an old school trapper & i can say from an unbiased point of view he is dam good at it--he can read a warren & surrounding land better than he can read english...!

I like spotlighting, & sniping from a distance, but is that not an opportunistic approach too...?--just look for eyes & shoot or wait for the bunny to rise for a feed...

As it turns out...
*3-4hrs of spotlighting=1 chest shot rabbit with busted spine(shot while in the cover of grass-guessing where its head was), (also 1 fox pup).

My ol'man used to gut in the field...now he takes all bunnies back to base where he has a gambrel type set up for bunnies (a hook tied with wire to a rafter).
He skins, guts & dresses using this method as his legs are not the best for squatting nearing 70yrs so the least he does the better.

No point in us jumping to conclusions without first qualifying what someone meant.

We all enjoy many variations of putting food on the table & we should be supportive of each other while not being "precious"...

I cant be bothered trapping, but ill do it every opportunity i get with the ol'man while he's here...!!!

PS...i do believe shooting a deer thats been rounded up in a pen is not hunting..! Rather its paying to kill & dress your own meat...

IMO "true hunting" is doing whatever it takes to get meat to survive, many thousands of years of this have passed with methods that would probably seem unethical to the average recreational hunter of today.
Therefore you could argue that any form of hunting today, as long as it is legal, is accetable and should be free of judgement.
The grey area is as you stated with not completely wild animals, guess its a cases by case basis, too many variables, but killing an animal in pen would definitely not be hunting, killing an animal in a many thousand acre reserve probably not be as easy, closer to hunting but I have no first hand experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 03 Oct 2017, 8:30 pm

Stix wrote:The way i read this is there's no need for people to get offended & hostile here..

As it turns out...

We all cook a curry different as long as someone is enjoying what they do and aren't effing with someone else's ability to do the same it's all good :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Diesel » 04 Oct 2017, 9:05 am

bladeracer wrote:

Enjoy the taste of paper mate.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Sheesh...bit harsh... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

Stix wrote:
Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Nah, I laughed :-)
It was a great reposte I thought.
I did shoot some paper this arvo, still trying to skin it now...bloody nightmare!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 5:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:
Diesel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Nah, I laughed :-)
It was a great reposte I thought.
I did shoot some paper this arvo, still trying to skin it now...bloody nightmare!

Try gutting it first before skinning...
:clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 1:23 pm

Be a good union member. Go slow.
Shoot more & less tired.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey