Electronic callers to lure in foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Electronic callers to lure in foxes

Post by AndyZ » 24 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

Any body tried any of the electronic callers for calling in foxes in Australia. Seem to work like a charm on Coyotes.
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Electronic callers

Post by marksman » 24 Sep 2017, 1:05 pm

I have done some work for a pro hunter working for some local councils and we use an electronic call , it works well but you can only be about 1 hundred metres away or you loose reception, you do need stupid foxes on a windy day though as the sound goes with the wind like your scent does, my boss said he wasn't overly happy with it for the price but I think he paid about $700, apparently they are good for calling satellite fallow as well if you get a good grunt for them
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

Yep, they work on their day, so to speak but no better than any other call or whistle.
The big advantage with the electric call is it can be placed upwind and away from your location. I place mine about 30-40 yds away upwind and when the fox, cat or feral dogs come in on the downwind side they tend to focus on the calls location.
Another plus is the range of calls - birds, rabbit, hare, chooks etc. that can be stored in the call.
Even had crows and a owl come in and thought the crows carrying on might attract the attention of a fox or feral dog.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2017, 10:49 pm

Yeah they work fine, I've call in plenty of foxes with em, cats too.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

marksman wrote:I have done some work for a pro hunter working for some local councils and we use an electronic call , it works well but you can only be about 1 hundred metres away or you loose reception, you do need stupid foxes on a windy day though as the sound goes with the wind like your scent does, my boss said he wasn't overly happy with it for the price but I think he paid about $700, apparently they are good for calling satellite fallow as well if you get a good grunt for them

f*** putting em 100m away, that's a 400m round trip all up, I normally only sit 30m or so from it and it's worked fine doing so, just got to keep the wind in ya face or off to the side, the foxes are focused on the sound and don't tend to notice you until it's too late.

They work fine in windy days too, foxes have great hearing and you don't have to have the volume up too loud for em to hear ya, after all they hear mouse squeaks etc. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control