Deer Hunting Advice for Newbie

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Deer Hunting Advice for Newbie

Post by Steventh » 28 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I would like to hunt deer and would appreciate advice on how to start.

But first an introduction. I have always lived in the city (Sydney at the moment) but spent a lot of my youth on friends farms during school holidays (in Vic) where I learnt to shoot. I got my first rifle when I was about 15 (a .22) and a 22-250 when I was 16 or 17 (this was pre Port Arthur when kids were allowed to own them).

I hunted mostly rabbits and occasionally pigs with the 22-250 which I reloaded.

Then came kids, Port Arthur, hysteria about owning firearms etc etc and I stopped shooting until about a year ago. I now regularly shoot at Silverdale (great for load development), Hornsby and Anzac (my local) with the SSAA. I volunteer as a Range Officer at Hornsby and Anzac. Apart from a .22 I have a varmint barrel 223 and sporter 7/08.

Shooting paper is fun but I would like to hunt occasionally for the table.

So my questions;
1. Ideally I would like to ease into the sport and learn from an experienced hunter, not knowing any is of course a problem. Is there a cost effective to learn from others and if this is through clubs which ones?
2. Which State forests near Sydney are productive hunting grounds.
3. How are carcasses processed and stored (I live in an apartment so have no room for freezers etc)?
- can butchers store carcasses (I assume that this will be against food regs).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Steventh
Steventh
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Deer Hunting Advice for Newbie

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 29 Sep 2017, 4:23 pm

I would suggest joining the ADA and going to some of their meetings.

Many of those guys are keen to help, just don't expect them to hand over their secret places - at least not immediately.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey