Spotlighting Deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Spotlighting Deer

Post by darwindingo » 02 Oct 2017, 11:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote: But they seem to be entirely nocturnal as we very rarely see them out in daylight. They really haven't been hunted at all for at least a decade so it seems strange that these new ones are afraid of the sun.

Watch out,,,,,,,,,, they might be Vampire bunnies.

:lol:

BUNNICULAR.JPG
BUNNICULAR.JPG (20.94 KiB) Viewed 4800 times

:P :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:I have a problem with deer (mainly Sambar) that only come out after dark they learn t that was the the safe time after just one. The move pretty quickly even looking into the light. They will get there eyes out of it asap and bolt. I have nearly been run over in the commotion.

After a year with no rabbit population at all, we've finally got some coming back. But they seem to be entirely nocturnal as we very rarely see them out in daylight. They really haven't been hunted at all for at least a decade so it seems strange that these new ones are afraid of the sun.

Give the bunnies some space & time to breed up...(i hate sound stupid in stating the obvious)...but...
Bunnies are pretty big on safety in numbers due to their natural instict to avoid predation, so if numbers are few, mature ones will come out for quick feed or to find a mate only when its completely safe-you have to be in the right place at the right time to get them...
The odd young one will pop out late afternoon, but mostly young ones are in numbers early when dark.

If they can have time to breed (my best educated guess) so the 3rd generation is sexually mature with minimal predation & shooting, & the virus keeps away for this to occur, is when you start to see them in daylight.

This has been my observation & appears consistant on several properties over many many years...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

Now that you mention it, grandadbushy I can't recall seeing a rabbit around these parts or a Hare for that matter. I always look forward to seeing them when I'm down is Tassie but... :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Oct 2017, 10:39 pm

I don't think we get hares up here the highest I've seen them is in Bundaberg there used to be heaps there in the 80's
When I was rigging on the new sugar shed we used to shoot and eat them not bad either cooked properly
Member-Deleted

Post by darwindingo » 05 Oct 2017, 9:37 pm

So above Bunderburg, it appears they are all hairless there these days ? (perhaps I'm misunderstanding you) :P ......... Ive put my shot in a few up that way :P :D some had hairs and some was shaved ;)...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most were good eating BTW, though ;) .... LOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 9:47 pm

darwindingo wrote:So above Bunderburg, it appears they are all hairless there these days ? (perhaps I'm misunderstanding you) :P ......... Ive put my shot in a few up that way :P :D some had hairs and some was shaved ;)...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most were good eating BTW, though ;) .... LOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff

Gold
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

Half your luck Darwindingo when I was down there I was married and the wife used to sit beside me whilst shooting
so that restricted me to shooting grass eating hares not the tall hairs that don't eat grass
Member-Deleted

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey