Newbie looking for some advice, Wombat State Forest?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Newbie looking for some advice, Wombat State Forest?

Post by ThatBloodyPom » 04 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, looking for some advice. I'm applying for my A&B license, and have got a "Registration of interest to hunt pest animals on crown land". I live right on the edge of Wombat State Forest (Greendale) so I thought it'd be the best option until I can befriend some local landowners.

In terms of finding locations in Wombat SF, is it just a case of looking at the maps and saying "here's good"? Or are there certain areas hunting is encouraged towards?

I did some shooting growing up in UK (Dad is massively into it), mostly clays, or bunnies with air rifles. Unfortunately I don't know anyone out here who I can ask for advice or beg to tag along ;)

Thanks
ThatBloodyPom
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Newbie looking for some advice, Wombat State Forest?

Post by marksman » 06 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

it's not easy to start off, but I would drive around looking for rabbits ect and asking for permission where I see them,
there are a lot of greens around the area so don't get to disappointed if you get a knock back, be courteous and thank them for there time and try the next one
I'm actually heading that way to Bunding tomorrow with my daughter so she can teach me to shoot :allegedly: what she tells people anyway
as we have the school holidays we were there last week and brought 20 head shot rabbits home, my young daughter can shoot a 22-250 out to 250 yards easy
they get a few spotlighting poachers around the area that has shut some places down so make sure you do it the right way and you will be right :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 06 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

Check your map. make sure you don't venture into lerderderg state park by mistake. There is deer on the Greendale side, west of Ambler lane near the reference area. The patch south of Campaspe Rd including Anderson Mill was good for goats and pigs but good luck finding them since the dirtbikers took over. Plenty of foxes all throughout although there is a stretch south of the plantation along Campaspe where I've had good luck with bunnies and foxes. Shotgun is your best bet, sunrise or just on sunset, midweek if you can.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Oct 2017, 8:34 am

I've been in there a few times in different locations, never seen any pests unfortunately (well great in the sense that the forest is mostly clean of ferals, but not great for shooting purposes!).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I've been in there a few times in different locations, never seen any pests unfortunately (well great in the sense that the forest is mostly clean of ferals, but not great for shooting purposes!).

I've had the same experience. I've probably been there a dozen times and seen some old sign but never actually an animal in the flesh. Pest or game.

I think it's probably just a little too well travelled to be ideal for hunting. You see four-wheel-drivers and trail bikes around with some regularity, as well as the frequented campgrounds dotted around there.

A little too much going on around the place, keeping critters skittish.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey