Game Hoist

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Game Hoist

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 1:18 pm

Any one used one of these? I figure they would be OK for goats, fallow, & perhaps small reds.
Cheap on evilbay.

$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG (7.39 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Game Hoist

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 5:14 pm

I have not used that one but am about to make something similar Oldbloke as I'm finding it a bit harder to dress the beasts on the ground if I have a few to do
I think I'm turning into an oldbloke :lol: :sarcasm:
I will make it a bit heavier, I have in the past used an s hook on a rope over a tree limb and dragged the critter up with the car
I found that good enough but I only did it for cooling the critter down and getting the blood out before loading it into the back
I take the whole carcass away and bring back big bones for the farmers dogs, they recon I'm ok :thumbsup:
farmers really appreciate not having the dead animal remains left around the property as well
I want one off the side of my car maybe off the roof rack that I can lift a critter onto a hook
to make it easier to dress out
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

marksman wrote:... ... ...I have in the past used an s hook on a rope over a tree limb and dragged the critter up with the car... ...

Gees...what sort of car do you have that can drive up a tree...? :lol: :sarcasm:
(Sorry...its been a long day...)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

How much oldbloke...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 5:26 pm

Stix wrote:
marksman wrote:... ... ...I have in the past used an s hook on a rope over a tree limb and dragged the critter up with the car... ...

Gees...what sort of car do you have that can drive up a tree...? :lol: :sarcasm:
(Sorry...its been a long day...)

:lol: there's only one jeep :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

Ah ok...
Im not interested then... (cant afford one)
:thumbsdown: ( :D )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 6:09 pm

Marksman, sounds like you need one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Big-Game-360-Deg ... 1896299928

No good to me, nearly always thick bush where I hunt. In the past just done it on the ground but over that these days. s**t ergonomics. ;)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 6:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Marksman, sounds like you need one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Big-Game-360-Deg ... 1896299928

No good to me, nearly always thick bush where I hunt. In the past just done it on the ground but over that these days. s**t ergonomics. ;)

that is a great idea :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2017, 9:56 pm

Hey OB
I have one of those (from the 1980s before they went all cheap and nasty)
It still works and does an incredible job.

In fact I used it to drag one of those Suzuki 4x4s out of a bog where it was completely bottomed out in mud.
It was very slow (approx 1 metre at a time) but it did the job.
We were many miles away from any other help at the time and that was the only piece of winch type equip that was in the vehicle,
apart from just plain rope.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 10:01 pm

Stix wrote:How much oldbloke...?

About $20. Without the coat hanger and $30 with the coat hanger. Seems bloody cheap.

Made in China of course.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Geech » 06 Oct 2017, 10:01 am

I've recently picked up something similar - https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... Y9YIU?th=1

By all online reviews they are great, but I'm yet to use it. I got the 4:1 system for pretty cheap - and it looks good for smaller game like you've mentioned.

Hoping to give it a go before the fallow season closes, so will report back once I have.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2017, 4:33 pm

Geech wrote:I've recently picked up something similar - https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... Y9YIU?th=1

By all online reviews they are great, but I'm yet to use it. I got the 4:1 system for pretty cheap - and it looks good for smaller game like you've mentioned.

Hoping to give it a go before the fallow season closes, so will report back once I have.

So that's the sort of thing I'm looking at. But most either don't ship to Australia or shipping is more than the cost of the hoist.
:unknown:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Geech » 06 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:So that's the sort of thing I'm looking at. But most either don't ship to Australia or shipping is more than the cost of the hoist.
:unknown:

That’s the issue I found as well, particularly with the 6:1 (1500lb) model which was more of what I wanted. I settled for the 4:1 because I found one on eBay that wasn’t too bad. I think it cost me about $60 including shipping. I couldn’t justify spending more on shipping then the whole hoist - but figured if the small one worked as well as they claimed, I’d be happy to pay a bit extra for the big one.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2017, 12:13 pm

Ended up just buying 2 of these in SS (32mm) for total of $18.50 on ebay. The ones at The LGS are cheap presses mild steel. ($55) The coat hanger I made this morning out of some clamps' SS cable I had with a piece of pipe. Got a long length of near new rope to do the job that is not in use.

32 mm.JPG
32 mm.JPG (20.49 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2017, 12:21 pm

I've gone a bit of a DIY option with my recovery gear in the 4x4 to do this.

Tree protector over a branch, snatch block on the end of it, winch it up :thumbsup:

I can do without carrying around another set of pulleys and rope, the A bracket for hanging would be good though. I really should get one.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Easy to make. Often we pay a lot for very little in OZ.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tranad » 10 Oct 2018, 6:42 pm

Had one made by a local weld shop like this model by Ranger Powersports

The problem with the cheap mass produced is that the piece that fits into the receiver is usually too short for you to drop the tailgate during use. Tailgate makes for convenience, in my opinion, the necessary working space. I left off the winch part, because we already have pulleys and gambrels from the garage processing set up that we can bring along to use. If they help, we simply lift them without pulleys, like the pic example. It is a pity that I didn't have pic's of separate parts. The insert, which is suitable for them, is about 14" and has openings of every 2" or so as to provide adjustable height. The disadvantage is that it is heavy and costs about $ 120, but it's very convenient.

The problem with the cheap mass produced is that the piece that fits into the receiver is usually too short for you to drop the tailgate during use. Tailgate makes for convenience, in my opinion, the necessary working space. I left off the winch part, because we already have pulleys and gambrels from the garage processing set up that we can bring along to use. If they help, we simply lift them without pulleys, like the pic example. It is a pity that I didn't have pic's of separate parts. The insert, which is suitable for them, is about 14" and has openings of every 2" or so as to provide adjustable height. The disadvantage is that it is heavy and costs about $ 120, but it's very convenient.
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey