day out on the bunnies

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

day out on the bunnies

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

I took my daughter out for some fun thinning down the rabbit population at a farm I like to go and do some sniping
if I get a shot as my daughter is a pretty good head shooter and I usually spot for her
here is a photo of the gully we shot in, the shots are up to 250 yards
we started at 4.30pm and after an hour we had picked up 10 good rabbits
we ended up with 24 rabbits before it got to dark to shoot safely at about 7.30pm
there had been a shooter on our patch as we got there so the rabbits were a bit spooked
the silly bloke only shot a few kittens as he had no clue on waiting out the rabbits and sniping them
but there were still plenty about and the majority we shot were pregnant milky doe's
this lot will be cooked with bigfellascotts southern fried rabbit recipe
I enjoy watching the kids have fun learning to shoot safely as doing it myself
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: day out on the bunnies

Post by Daddybang » 08 Oct 2017, 11:36 am

What a great way to spend an evening!!!! Can't wait til my girl is old enough to do this. :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 08 Oct 2017, 11:38 am

Nice work, great way to spend an arvo with your daughter, looks like an awesome location too.
Would love a good bunny property to hunt on but haven't found one as yet, had one years ago but no longer have access due to change of hands, a couple of the properties I currently hunt on had them in the past but they've moved on or died from disease.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2017, 1:00 pm

Shot a couple of milky doe's my self last night with the 22. Looks a nice spot for the fox whistle.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 08 Oct 2017, 2:44 pm

Should of had a fold up bench............beats laying on the ground ....... :mrgreen:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 08 Oct 2017, 5:27 pm

not bad for 10 metres ................ :lol:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm

Geez 24 not bad well done certainly bigger than the rabbits up here unless they only have two legs lol
Looking at the rifle on the left looks exactly the same as my sons 22-250 Ruger 26'' barrel nice rifle
Was that a ground sheet or was it a bed for you, sleeping while your daughter done all the shooting work ''LOL''
And day time too not bad
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

it is a really good place for foxes Oldbloke, when I get into it here the foxes will come to the shooting as I do leave quite a few rabbits behind if they are not shot right or I cant find them after a while especially when I spotlight, my best night here was 70 rabbits this time last year

I like your fold up bench flashman, its a great idea but here you would silhouette yourself with it and your movements would be more obvious,
it was actually 12 meters mate :sarcasm:

that is a ruger 22-250 vt and is one of the most accurate factory rifle's I have ever seen, it's what my daughter who is 13 uses and the bed was for her as I usually sit on the road where I took the photo's from and I can see a bit more spotting so she can out shoot dad, it really makes her day
and mine :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

YES it sure does give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you see your kids enjoying them selves in what ever they do
I've got 4 daughters and 2 boys the boys are the youngest 28 and 30 the boys shoot but not like me and the mrs only one girl shoots
but can't stand seeing animals hurt can't even get her to pluck a dead chook let alone shoot one , paper targets for her

Mate forgive my stupidness what does the vt stand for ?
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Oct 2017, 8:53 pm

Great country. Any foxes around?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2017, 9:10 pm

vt stands for varmint/target grandadbushy, this rifle on it's day will shoot one hole at 200 If I'm doing it right
I've changed the trigger to a rifle basics and lighted it, bedded the action, floated the barrel and found a load, the rifle will only shoot 50 grainers but that will do

yep lots of foxes about but they have a lot of food about so they are not being seen as much as they should, this property backs onto wombat,
heaps of critters come out at night, the locals even recon they have seen the panther, this in the photo is another thing seen from time to time
its a pity it was not on the other side of the fence or it would not have been shot with a camera
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 9:38 pm

Thanks Marksman I didn't even think of that
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Oct 2017, 9:27 am

:D Thanks...
AND, "Here piggy, piggy.!! :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 9:36 am

marksman wrote:vt stands for varmint/target grandadbushy, this rifle on it's day will shoot one hole at 200 If I'm doing it right
I've changed the trigger to a rifle basics and lighted it, bedded the action, floated the barrel and found a load, the rifle will only shoot 50 grainers but that will do

yep lots of foxes about but they have a lot of food about so they are not being seen as much as they should, this property backs onto wombat,
heaps of critters come out at night, the locals even recon they have seen the panther, this in the photo is another thing seen from time to time
its a pity it was not on the other side of the fence or it would not have been shot with a camera

Time to drop some molasses on this side of the fence :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

Looks like a great little property with plenty of bunnies on it. Remember to soak the bunnies in Vinegar/water for a day to get the blood out of em then soak em in milk for a few hours (longer the better) then roll em in plain flour, put em in some milk/egg wash and coat em in the coating, let em sit for a hour or so in the fridge to let the coating set and adhere then give em a bit of a fry up in a pan to brown them and cook some onions and or other veg to suit and mushies of course, put em in the oven for about an hours to cook and about 30mins in add some water or chicken stock and the steak diane mix and just let it simmer away until they are tender (I usually use a cast iron pot with a lid to cook mine in) seems to keep them nice and tender/moist that way.

Anyway let me know how it goes (I think I add some cream just at the end to help thicken it up too but do it how you like it. :thumbsup:

I usually serve mine up with mash tatties too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 10:41 am

Here is one my bunnies 25-06 between the shoulder blades chest on this is exit wound
Attachments
Pic_0828_031.jpg
Here is one of my bunnies
Pic_0828_031.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 11:05 am

One my son got awhile back he's 6ft so this will give you an idea how big the pig is over 100kg :D
Dogged him in the scrub look like he rode him to a stand still but knocked the dogs around :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D
Attachments
382072_4723951170801_637509970_n.jpg
Hams for Xmas
382072_4723951170801_637509970_n.jpg (116.37 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 11:11 am

I must have some grey matter left slowly getting the gist of this washing machine or computer or what ever it is :D :D :D
The dog shot was 367mtrs as the range finder said won't argue with that fair way with 2 crook knees

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

Nice work with that pig!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

Well done.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southwest shooter » 09 Oct 2017, 12:19 pm

Nothing better than sniping bunnies from 200 plus meters , nice work ! :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm

These are my work horses 25-06 Sako roughtech and mod 85 22-250 Sako s/s 8-) :D :D

Cheers
Attachments
20171009_113030.jpg
20171009_113030.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2017, 2:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Looks like a great little property with plenty of bunnies on it. Remember to soak the bunnies in Vinegar/water for a day to get the blood out of em then soak em in milk for a few hours (longer the better) then roll em in plain flour, put em in some milk/egg wash and coat em in the coating, let em sit for a hour or so in the fridge to let the coating set and adhere then give em a bit of a fry up in a pan to brown them and cook some onions and or other veg to suit and mushies of course, put em in the oven for about an hours to cook and about 30mins in add some water or chicken stock and the steak diane mix and just let it simmer away until they are tender (I usually use a cast iron pot with a lid to cook mine in) seems to keep them nice and tender/moist that way.

Anyway let me know how it goes (I think I add some cream just at the end to help thicken it up too but do it how you like it. :thumbsup:

I usually serve mine up with mash tatties too. :drinks:

got some rabbit soaking now but the missus recons she is to busy at the moment to cook em :unknown:
she will come around :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2017, 4:34 pm

Should cook em ya self then, no way I'd let my misses cook, she's capable of burning water so god only knows what she'd do to the poor ol bunnies! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2017, 9:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Should cook em ya self then, no way I'd let my misses cook, she's capable of burning water so god only knows what she'd do to the poor ol bunnies! :shock:

Nice to know I'm not the only one that married an useless cook. Good thing I enjoy doing it myself!!! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2017, 6:58 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Should cook em ya self then, no way I'd let my misses cook, she's capable of burning water so god only knows what she'd do to the poor ol bunnies! :shock:

Nice to know I'm not the only one that married an useless cook. Good thing I enjoy doing it myself!!! :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Yep ya wouldn't marry her for her cooking abilities that's for sure! :lol: I'm the same mate when it comes to cooking, I go alright and enjoy it most of the time. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by kb1 » 11 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

thought the new strain of khalessi virus has wiped out all the rabbits
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 6:05 pm

Lotsa contributing factors to bunny populations kb1...predation, hunting, baiting, etc etc.
Some areas your lucky to see ine, other areas are rife with healthy populations.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by kb1 » 11 Nov 2017, 7:34 pm

i know there a pest but they are the best fun busting them . i hear they are getting hammered in the south west of west australia .
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2017, 8:55 am

Where abouts/what area you in Sungazer...?

A property i get to over here has had basically nothing on it for years, but this year they have somehow avoided the virus & had a chance to breed up a bit...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control