Tasmanian Young Beginner Hunter

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Tasmanian Young Beginner Hunter

Post by kohan22lr » 09 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum and this will be my first post. I'm coming close to being a firearms owner and am only waiting on an inspection from police, my license and PTA to come back and to pick up my Ruger American Rimfire 22lr (I went with the new timber one).

So if you cant tell, this is my first rifle and I'm new to hunting, I've shot and hunted before with family friends briefly.

I'm from the northwest of the state, between burnie and Smithton and I would like to meet some people to hunt and shoot with or find properties to shoot on. I'll be getting all the appropriate game licenses and the forestry permit also to hunt with but this limits night time hunting, which is primarily when id be hunting wallaby.

So if anyone is looking to teach a responsible youngster the ways, or let me learn on your property, get in contact with me here. I'm 18 and happy to chat to anyone and learn anything, been waiting a long time to now finally enter the sport. Thank you.
kohan22lr
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Tasmanian Young Beginner Hunter

Post by Tripod » 09 Oct 2017, 9:12 am

If you don't mind the drive down to the Southern Midlands then you are welcome to come out.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Oct 2017, 9:18 am

It's always a pleasure seeing other young firearm and hunting enthusiasts cropping up.

Try heading up to the north west and ask forestry tas for permissions for hunting on crown land/state forest. Plenty of very bristly, plump wallabies are busy running around this time of year.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by kohan22lr » 09 Oct 2017, 10:23 am

Tripod wrote:If you don't mind the drive down to the Southern Midlands then you are welcome to come out.

Maybe once I finish up my last year of college and exams I could come down when I don't have work on a weekend or something? Do you usually hunt of a day or night time?

Really apprecoate it!
kohan22lr
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by kohan22lr » 09 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

Heckler303 wrote:It's always a pleasure seeing other young firearm and hunting enthusiasts cropping up.

Try heading up to the north west and ask forestry tas for permissions for hunting on crown land/state forest. Plenty of very bristly, plump wallabies are busy running around this time of year.

I'm actually in Smithton at the moment and am down here semi often, so I could very easily get my permission to hunt on forestry land. Are you from the circular head area at all? Cheers for the response!

I'm just not very confident with day time hunting, never a shortage of small game at night time, but then again I've never been properly in the day..
kohan22lr
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 09 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

kohan22lr wrote:
Tripod wrote:If you don't mind the drive down to the Southern Midlands then you are welcome to come out.

Maybe once I finish up my last year of college and exams I could come down when I don't have work on a weekend or something? Do you usually hunt of a day or night time?

Really apprecoate it!

I like to go out late afternoon and wait on the edge of the scrub and get a few as they come out then after dark we spotlight them.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by franc » 10 Oct 2017, 1:05 pm

Welcome to the team Kohan :mrgreen:
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Diesel » 15 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

kohan22lr wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:It's always a pleasure seeing other young firearm and hunting enthusiasts cropping up.

I'm actually in Smithton at the moment and am down here semi often, so I could very easily get my permission to hunt on forestry land. Are you from the circular head area at all? Cheers for the response!

I'm just not very confident with day time hunting, never a shortage of small game at night time, but then again I've never been properly in the day..

If you are from "mifton" you are in the best spotlighting/shotgunning land in the state, just start asking farmers, especially down past Redpa, lileah etc. I would be very surprised if you were unable to find a property of your own with very little effort. There's lots of forestry up there as well.
I know there is a lot of paid culling done up that way as there is a shortage of willing shooters(not just one off cowboys, a farmer needs a regular commitment).
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control