Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Post by Daddybang » 19 Oct 2017, 6:30 pm

Baz460 wrote:Interesting about a 2 day hunt for $13000, s**t that is African price.
I have contacted probably half a dozen outfitters regards a 5 day hunt for two, with one trophy bull each and a management animal, the prices fully catered for range from $20,000 for two all inclusive, to $11,000 for two all inclusive. The $20,000 hunt, the bloke wanted US Dollars, and I mentioned to him that I am bloody Australian and will be paying in Australian Dollars. LOL. some of these jokers think they are in Africa, and want you to pay in US Dollars. Anyway, I have 6 months to find someone suitable, so will wait and see what turns up. On the small calibres, I have know doubt that you can drop a bull buff with a brain shot from a 6.5 and a solid, but me, I will be using a 500 double and my mate a 458 Lott.

Thanks for your replies. Baz

Hey baz if ya find a good one would ya mind letting us know !? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 19 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have emailed 4 outfitters and spoken to one, and am now in the process of deciding which way to go.
The prices have varied from $11,000 per person, for one trophy and one management animal, full accommodation transfers, trophy fees, head preparation and licenses, etc and on the other hand, I have been quoted $5500 per person for the same hunt, all inclusive, which I think is more realistic, and for Die Juducil getting a quote for $13000 per person for a 2 day hunt, that is a crazy price. One of the outfitters because my mate is an American, wanted us to pay in US Dollars, I had to remind him that this not Africa, and being Australian I would be paying in Australian currency, and that was that, and he all of a sudden he changed from US dollars to Aussie dollars, LOL So I will wait and get some more quotes and then make a decision for next year. Plus being an ex slaughterman, I have absolutely no doubt that a 6.5 solid in the brain would drop a buffalo, as I have brained hundreds of big bulls with a captive bolt, but my mate will be using a 458 Lott and I will use a 500 double.
Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

Baz460 wrote:Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have emailed 4 outfitters and spoken to one, and am now in the process of deciding which way to go.
The prices have varied from $11,000 per person, for one trophy and one management animal, full accommodation transfers, trophy fees, head preparation and licenses, etc and on the other hand, I have been quoted $5500 per person for the same hunt, all inclusive, which I think is more realistic, and for Die Juducil getting a quote for $13000 per person for a 2 day hunt, that is a crazy price. One of the outfitters because my mate is an American, wanted us to pay in US Dollars, I had to remind him that this not Africa, and being Australian I would be paying in Australian currency, and that was that, and he all of a sudden he changed from US dollars to Aussie dollars, LOL So I will wait and get some more quotes and then make a decision for next year. Plus being an ex slaughterman, I have absolutely no doubt that a 6.5 solid in the brain would drop a buffalo, as I have brained hundreds of big bulls with a captive bolt, but my mate will be using a 458 Lott and I will use a 500 double.
Cheers Baz.

Yeah Baz,,, Methinks some of these outfitters are just used to rich pr!cks as customers, and therefore not really living in the real world when it comes to dealing with genuine Aussie battlers.

The brain shot (regardless of caliber) can still be a dicey deal.
To prove my point,,, consider the following experience I had 18 months ago.

I had a huge steer to be put in the freezers, (I did post about it, but not the drama involved in putting it down)

On the day, the mobile butcher rocked up, and we drove out to where the cattle were.
He sat in the truck while I walked to a good spot and chance to drop the steer.
I was only 10 or 12 meters from him and directly in front, as he stood and stared at me.
With the 30/30 I lined up the sweet spot on the brain and fired.
His legs flew out from under him and he hit the dirt.
But,,,,,,, as I cycled the empty case out,,,, he suddenly stood up again,, shook his head a couple of times, and started walking away.

I followed him up, and he walked about 500 meters without stopping.
Then he stopped under the shade of a tree, and stood still again.
I circled around in front to the same general position,,, and repeated the process.

This time he was down and out.

The butcher drove up and started to crane him up,,, and said "that was F'''''''''ing unbelievable."

When the head came off, we rolled it over and skun the forehead bare.
Both bullet holes had clover leafed to the point that it was only just noticeable that there had been 2 shots.

Now if he had been a Buff bull,,, I reckon we would have been in some serious trouble,,,,,, or up a tree.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2017, 10:19 pm

100_3980.JPG
100_3980.JPG (655.63 KiB) Viewed 8736 times
100_3983.JPG
100_3983.JPG (669.51 KiB) Viewed 8736 times
100_3988.JPG
100_3988.JPG (806.99 KiB) Viewed 8736 times
Just found a few pics of the steer that I had taken the day before we butchered him,,,,, just to give all an idea of his size.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2017, 11:56 pm

The hunter using the 6.5 x 55 Swede had solid big game handloads and he belted them in the boiler room and it did the job.I doubt you will have to put more than 2 shots in with a 458 lott or 500 but I bet you reload anyway.If you try to head shoot you could ruin the horns which is what you are chasing.It is an amazing place and you should enjoy the moment.I got a 6 day hunt for $2500 but it was a while ago and at the end of the season and I had to book my own flights etc.I am suprised that a 30/30 did not penetrate the brain box on that steer but it was a soft nose no doubt.I had a single shot H&R in hornet for dispatching dairy cows and it got in there real good
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

duncan61 wrote:The hunter using the 6.5 x 55 Swede had solid big game handloads and he belted them in the boiler room and it did the job.I doubt you will have to put more than 2 shots in with a 458 lott or 500 but I bet you reload anyway.If you try to head shoot you could ruin the horns which is what you are chasing.It is an amazing place and you should enjoy the moment.I got a 6 day hunt for $2500 but it was a while ago and at the end of the season and I had to book my own flights etc.I am suprised that a 30/30 did not penetrate the brain box on that steer but it was a soft nose no doubt.I had a single shot H&R in hornet for dispatching dairy cows and it got in there real good

The 30/30 slugs punched right through the forehead bone no worries,,,, but, and as the butcher commented I may have been shooting on an upward or downward trajectory (uneven ground) ever so slightly,,,, but enough that the projectile didn't pass through the brain itself properly.

Just as well it was docile, and not a raging scrubber eh ?

The boiler room as you say is a better option on Buffs,, especially with .375 or similar through the shoulder plus wrecking the boiler itself.
They can't run as fast when only on 3 wheels. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

duncan61 wrote:Apparently the hunter with the 6.5x55 claimed he could do the job and did it well with shot placement.I am not sure how many he put in it but I hit my buff at about 80 metres in the heart lung area and then stood there smiling as it went down but it got back up and started to look for us so I put the other 3 in the mag into it then reloaded 3 more and ran out from behind the tree I was using and closed to about 40 metres then put 3 more in the heart lung area then reloaded with the next 3 and got behind on a 45 and put 2 more in it and seen them come out its chest and it went down again.Then it stood up again and because it was an old bull its spine was showing and it staggered around broadside I am now about 20 metres and I scoped up the backbone and put one through its spine and it splayed out and stopped for the last time.The guide went crazy as I walked around in front of it but it was dead as and I tapped its eyeball and there was no reaction.A solid bullet in 6.5 with enough energy could do the job but I agree it is light for big game and I would rather use a 50cal out of an armoured car

I think I'll stick to rabbits.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 18 Nov 2017, 10:14 am

Well I have booked a hunt for September next year, after making a heap of enquires with outfitters and on this forum, have made a decision and put down a deposit for 5 full days hunting Buff.
I booked with Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris run by Aaron Corbett, have spoken to him on the phone and am pleased at what he had to offer, and he seems like a real genuine bloke.
Thanks for all your input.
Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 11:04 am

Lol I'm doing it for free next year :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

Lots of monster pigs to hunt and the fishing is amazing
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

Yup,and a couple of 45/70s to test out too ! :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

Are you driving up
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 6:48 pm

Yep
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

So its only free in a way lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 7:42 pm

So its only free in a way lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by hunter1941 » 04 Aug 2018, 12:04 am

Hello,
I would like to add something that may help Baz460 and Daddybang and for others who may be contemplating a buff hunt this year 2018 or in the future.
First off I would like to give some background into my hunting experience. Next birthday coming up.78. have hunted alot in Oz, Tasmania and also dabbled in NZ. ( I won't dabble into the dim past re UK, Asia and China. )
I was very fortunate to be working in the NT after cyclone Tracy in Darwin in 1974 for the next 15 years. I would spend 6 weeks in the NT and WA, I would do 2 peoples work in 3 days so I had 4 day weekends. for 6 weeks, Sept.-Oct or Oct.-Nov. . Jabiru did not exist, it was the site of the Ranger Uranium Project and there was only a dirt tract out there, eventually a gravel road , then a bitumen highway raised above the flood plains. I am basically a meat hunter and when given the opportunity do culling or pest control. I was also fortunate to make the acquaintance of DM , the chief flying instructor and also many members of the Darwin Aero Club e.g BB, NB, who had their own Cessnas and who willingly fly me around, and also the odd commercial Charter where I was fortunate to pay only a nominal fee. in those days there were only 2 Darwin Resident Safari operators, many others did it from interstate.. MD was the only one i used and trusted. I was lucky to have shot numerous times as far as Wyndham, Kunnunara, and Fitzroy Crossing, ( that was pre Argyle mine)
plenty of wild camels and donkeys. and also the Wagait Reserve, Wild Man area, Point Stuart, the Marraki Plains, West Arnhemland, the Coburg peninsula and other private properties. also in between I would do 1 week Safaris mid year. I would take anything from 3 to 6 rifles up. Double rifles I had 20 of them at the time from 7 x 65R, 450/400, 375, 450, 475, 485 , the more regulated ones were the H and H 375 and 450 and 475 Cogswell, I also had a Lang and Woodward in 375, these two were spot on, I also used the bolt action rifles, 6.5 x 55, 270 Win, 7 mm Rem, 300 Weatherby, 375 HH, 458 Win, (in those days with the powders available I could only get 1750 fps) funnily out of my two rifles in 45-70 I could get 2000 fps. also had a 505 Gibbs. the 6.5 x 55 and 7 mm and 270 Win. I would be more confident if I was up a tree./or tree platform.
I also had a custom 460 Weatherby weighed 12.5 lbs with recoil reducer and a a custom 500 Weatherby came in at 15 ibs, with recoil reducer, that was before muzzlebrakes. also have a Rigby 416, with 2 mercury reducers and a muzzlebreak. Loaded up i can get 416 Weatherby ballistics, but i load more conservative ballistics. also in the 70's was the start of the buffalo eradication programme which finished in 1997 which left many areas with zero buff. I am an experienced and fast shooter, having used all these calibres, on hundreds of buffaloes ( most during the culling time.) I usually take shoulder/Heart Lung shots. most of the shooting has been done with the 375 HH, however there have been 3 occasions even with heart shots where the buff ran for 80 yds. luckily not towards me, out in the open its OK, one buff took one 300 gn Nosler Partition in the shoulder turned around, and I gave it two more in the lungs and heart shot, and it still ran for 80 yds. another took a 416 Rem in the lungs and ran for 100 m.
but in thick country and close conditions, I prefer the 416 Rigby. the Doubles from 450 cal up and the 460 Weatherby and 500 did the job super adequately. but unnecessary. Bullet wise the Woodleighs for the lower velocities, or the Nosler partition and Barnes for higher velocities.. In the 70's herds would be a few hundred. running beside the track or flood plains.
Re wet/dry season also depending on the area, the lay of the land, and the seasonal wet, there is no rough rule of thumb. last year 2017 in the area I was shooting in June 90 % was still under water, an airboat would have been a help, that particular area didn't dry out till end of August. this season the Wet started last Dec. 2017 early and finished in end of April, wettest wet season for 35 years, so where I am going it wont be dry till Sept. 2018, if there are plenty of Billabongs and plenty of grass, the buff will be still in good condition regardless of time in the dry. Having spent this amount of time hunting in the territory, and experimented with many calibres and having shot large numbers of buff and pigs, I cam only give an opinion of what worked for me, only taking the 300 Weatherby and 416 Rigby, friend B. is taking the William Evans double nitro 470. ( which I once had the previledge of owning. beautiful best quality.)
re guides on paid buff. hunts , There are only two I know personally and can recommend.. my top person MD has passed on last year. having done some 40 plus hunts of 4 days or more, in the NT. I think that my experience has some meaningful points to pass on, only of what worked for me.
hunter1941
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Aug 2018, 7:38 am

hunter1941 wrote:Hello,
I would like to add something that may help Baz460 and Daddybang and for others who may be contemplating a buff hunt this year 2018 or in the future.
First off I would like to give some background into my hunting experience. Next birthday coming up.78. have hunted alot in Oz, Tasmania and also dabbled in NZ. ( I won't dabble into the dim past re UK, Asia and China. )
I was very fortunate to be working in the NT after cyclone Tracy in Darwin in 1974 for the next 15 years. I would spend 6 weeks in the NT and WA, I would do 2 peoples work in 3 days so I had 4 day weekends. for 6 weeks, Sept.-Oct or Oct.-Nov. . Jabiru did not exist, it was the site of the Ranger Uranium Project and there was only a dirt tract out there, eventually a gravel road , then a bitumen highway raised above the flood plains. I am basically a meat hunter and when given the opportunity do culling or pest control. I was also fortunate to make the acquaintance of DM , the chief flying instructor and also many members of the Darwin Aero Club e.g BB, NB, who had their own Cessnas and who willingly fly me around, and also the odd commercial Charter where I was fortunate to pay only a nominal fee. in those days there were only 2 Darwin Resident Safari operators, many others did it from interstate.. MD was the only one i used and trusted. I was lucky to have shot numerous times as far as Wyndham, Kunnunara, and Fitzroy Crossing, ( that was pre Argyle mine)
plenty of wild camels and donkeys. and also the Wagait Reserve, Wild Man area, Point Stuart, the Marraki Plains, West Arnhemland, the Coburg peninsula and other private properties. also in between I would do 1 week Safaris mid year. I would take anything from 3 to 6 rifles up. Double rifles I had 20 of them at the time from 7 x 65R, 450/400, 375, 450, 475, 485 , the more regulated ones were the H and H 375 and 450 and 475 Cogswell, I also had a Lang and Woodward in 375, these two were spot on, I also used the bolt action rifles, 6.5 x 55, 270 Win, 7 mm Rem, 300 Weatherby, 375 HH, 458 Win, (in those days with the powders available I could only get 1750 fps) funnily out of my two rifles in 45-70 I could get 2000 fps. also had a 505 Gibbs. the 6.5 x 55 and 7 mm and 270 Win. I would be more confident if I was up a tree./or tree platform.
I also had a custom 460 Weatherby weighed 12.5 lbs with recoil reducer and a a custom 500 Weatherby came in at 15 ibs, with recoil reducer, that was before muzzlebrakes. also have a Rigby 416, with 2 mercury reducers and a muzzlebreak. Loaded up i can get 416 Weatherby ballistics, but i load more conservative ballistics. also in the 70's was the start of the buffalo eradication programme which finished in 1997 which left many areas with zero buff. I am an experienced and fast shooter, having used all these calibres, on hundreds of buffaloes ( most during the culling time.) I usually take shoulder/Heart Lung shots. most of the shooting has been done with the 375 HH, however there have been 3 occasions even with heart shots where the buff ran for 80 yds. luckily not towards me, out in the open its OK, one buff took one 300 gn Nosler Partition in the shoulder turned around, and I gave it two more in the lungs and heart shot, and it still ran for 80 yds. another took a 416 Rem in the lungs and ran for 100 m.
but in thick country and close conditions, I prefer the 416 Rigby. the Doubles from 450 cal up and the 460 Weatherby and 500 did the job super adequately. but unnecessary. Bullet wise the Woodleighs for the lower velocities, or the Nosler partition and Barnes for higher velocities.. In the 70's herds would be a few hundred. running beside the track or flood plains.
Re wet/dry season also depending on the area, the lay of the land, and the seasonal wet, there is no rough rule of thumb. last year 2017 in the area I was shooting in June 90 % was still under water, an airboat would have been a help, that particular area didn't dry out till end of August. this season the Wet started last Dec. 2017 early and finished in end of April, wettest wet season for 35 years, so where I am going it wont be dry till Sept. 2018, if there are plenty of Billabongs and plenty of grass, the buff will be still in good condition regardless of time in the dry. Having spent this amount of time hunting in the territory, and experimented with many calibres and having shot large numbers of buff and pigs, I cam only give an opinion of what worked for me, only taking the 300 Weatherby and 416 Rigby, friend B. is taking the William Evans double nitro 470. ( which I once had the previledge of owning. beautiful best quality.)
re guides on paid buff. hunts , There are only two I know personally and can recommend.. my top person MD has passed on last year. having done some 40 plus hunts of 4 days or more, in the NT. I think that my experience has some meaningful points to pass on, only of what worked for me.

Gday hunter :welcome:
Thanks for taking the time to share ya experience. Lots of good info.
Brings back lots of memories of running around in the territory learning to hunt before they put the blacktop every where. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by hunter1941 » 22 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

Hello Baz460,
How was your Sept. 2018 buff hunt.? hope that it was successful and enjoyable.. Due to personal commitments, I was away most of Aug and Sept. In Oct. I was in Perth assisting at the Shot Show. then we ( and 2 best mates) went up for 2 weeks to Darwin and surrounds for crabbing and fishing, and in Buff land. it was very hot and dry, but had a few short drizzles every afternoon. and still plenty of grass in the Billabongs and gully runoffs. managed to get within 85 yds before the two big bulls got up and took off, one to the right and one to the left, running around us, BH was in the front, with the old trusty 1922, double 470 Nitro, took the one on the right with the right barrel, the one on the left with the left barrel, both shoulder shots, he immediately reloaded and gave the left bull another two shots. FI following behind with my 416 Rigby , at this stage the right hand side bull stood up, FI gave him a 410 grani Woodleigh frontal shot through the chest and lungs. the left bull was the was the biggest shot on the property in 40 years, body size. 2 people were recently gored again, using totally inadequate calibres on foot. . one was a PH using a 300 Win. mag. 3 shots at the charging buff, but before it died of lead poisoning, it gored the PH in the side and he may be losing an arm. When I was in Perth for the shot show, alot of budding buff hunters intend going to the NT with a 308 Win. on foot. definitely too light. min cal. is 375 HH, however as I sad before in the previous post some need three killing vital shots , and they still ran before stopping. From a car, shooting for meat its different, a mate uses a 243 Win with FMJ and another one uses a 303 and 308 with FMC but shooting from inside the car at a young meat bull.. ones life is too precious, living on the edge is fine. using a light cal. on buff too is fine as long as you are backed up by a trust worthy mate with a 416 Rigby or larger. I only have a handfull of old mates I trust thoroughly. that I go hunting with. BH and FI are both 60. , and I am 78, so I hope to have at least another decade yet of buff hunting. BH is going to Africa , next year for a Cape Buff, but I won't go as its not worth the money and I don't mount trophies.. This is what has worked for me, and these ramblings are only a guide to the younger shooters.
hunter1941
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Nov 2018, 6:59 pm

Oh,but hang on,didn't someone say 7mm rm is perfectly adequate.....?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baz460 » 22 Nov 2018, 7:32 pm

Hunter 1941.
Mate I did go over to the Territory in September and hunted with Aaron Corbet's, Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris, and had a great time. My mate came out from the States and he shot 3 great bulls with his 500 MDM, and I shot two Buff and a massive old scrub bull with my 500 double.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 22 Nov 2018, 7:51 pm

One of my Buff.
Attachments
6DEC13D7-165D-4073-9E55-89BA0CD20B0C.jpeg
6DEC13D7-165D-4073-9E55-89BA0CD20B0C.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3019 times
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by hunter1941 » 24 Nov 2018, 9:52 pm

Good on you Baz460,
Glad you got value for your hunt, and got some good trophies. Like your 500 Double, at least its not likely to run far, Adequate Calibre is what drops them 99.9% of the time. and not have them charge. I have used a 7mm Rem. Mag ( had three of them) and have shot buffs with this cal. but if my life depended on it , its one cal. I wouldn't use. I smoked a Cuban Cigar 3 nights ago with a best mate in memoriam of MD , my good friend , the longest full time guide in the NT. met him in the early 1970's.
MD passed away last year at the age of 77. (medical reason.) He loved Cuban cigars with a good scotch. I hunted with him a number of times , many many hunts.
I am already planning another buff hunt in 2019, with some geese shooting, and the usual barra and crabbing. This time June/July. mush cooler.
I shall be in my 79th year.
Attachments
R2330.JPG
The Big Big Bull by BH
R2330.JPG (343.68 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
hunter1941
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by hunter1941 » 25 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

THIS WAS THE BIG BIG BULL.