Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Post by Baz460 » 18 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

Hi, Has anyone on the forum had any experience with hunting buffalo in the Territory?
What I would like is to be pointed in the right direction with regards to a 2 person hunt in September next year for two people, around $5000 Australian each
Would like one trophy bull each and maybe a couple of cull animals as well.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Post by Daddybang » 18 Oct 2017, 6:26 pm

Try Australia wide safaris I've heard they're ok (looking at this myself next year). Plenty of sites net. September is middle of the dry and the animals are not in the best condition. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 18 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm

Daddybang wrote:Try Australia wide safaris I've heard they're ok (looking at this myself next year). Plenty of sites net. September is middle of the dry and the animals are not in the best condition. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I though the middle of the dry and the buildup were the best time to hunt them. There’s certainly bigger all chance of finding them in the wet right?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 18 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

Chronos wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Try Australia wide safaris I've heard they're ok (looking at this myself next year). Plenty of sites net. September is middle of the dry and the animals are not in the best condition. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I though the middle of the dry and the buildup were the best time to hunt them. There’s certainly bigger all chance of finding them in the wet right?

Chronos

Easy to find in the dry but poor condition on the animal . End of the wet and beginning of dry animals are in a lot better condition(still plenty of good feed). This may effect rifle/round selection. If the op is going on a guided hunt they should know where to find them regardless of season :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 18 Oct 2017, 8:42 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

Easy to find in the dry but poor condition on the animal . End of the wet and beginning of dry animals are in a lot better condition(still plenty of good feed). This may effect rifle/round selection. If the op is going on a guided hunt they should know where to find them regardless of season :drinks:

:thumbsup: good to know

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 9:20 pm

I did an Arhnem land guided safari with an outfitter that lived near me at the time I learned a lot on the 6 day hunt.We get it for nearly half the price of internationals because the guide knows we will help out around the camp where the full paying clients are fully catered.I get that you are doing a paid Safari as you are paying $5000AUD for 2.What I know is you have to get a permit to go in to Arnhemland which will be done by the guide you are doing this with,The deal is to cull out the old bulls with the big horns so that when they are rounded up for export back to Indonesia the herd settles and can be worked with.If an old bull gets stroppy it will lead all the herd out of control and it gets dangerous for the crew rounding up.This is done before the wet season starts.I am not sure what condition has to do with anything its not like you are going to eat Water Buffalo bulls its the horns that are the prize and some of the best horns are on old worn down animals that will die in the next wet anyway.They only live about 10 years or so.A royalty of $1000AUD is paid for each animal shot so getting a small one for food you would be the first bloke to ever do that its about experiencing the N.T. The rivers are full of big sooty grunter and Barramundi,I put in a trap and caught super big cherabin.I took my 7mm Rem Mag and a single shot hornet and had a ball blasting cane toads with the hornet so take a rimfire if it fits in your case.For a fee you can have a go at scrub bulls I shot one that was stuck in mud so I got it for free and still got the horns.Big pigs are where you find them.Have a ball I still remember it as if I had done it yesterday
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 18 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

duncan61 wrote:I did an Arhnem land guided safari with an outfitter that lived near me at the time I learned a lot on the 6 day hunt.We get it for nearly half the price of internationals because the guide knows we will help out around the camp where the full paying clients are fully catered.I get that you are doing a paid Safari as you are paying $5000AUD for 2.What I know is you have to get a permit to go in to Arnhemland which will be done by the guide you are doing this with,The deal is to cull out the old bulls with the big horns so that when they are rounded up for export back to Indonesia the herd settles and can be worked with.If an old bull gets stroppy it will lead all the herd out of control and it gets dangerous for the crew rounding up.This is done before the wet season starts.I am not sure what condition has to do with anything its not like you are going to eat Water Buffalo bulls its the horns that are the prize and some of the best horns are on old worn down animals that will die in the next wet anyway.They only live about 10 years or so.A royalty of $1000AUD is paid for each animal shot so getting a small one for food you would be the first bloke to ever do that its about experiencing the N.T. The rivers are full of big sooty grunter and Barramundi,I put in a trap and caught super big cherabin.I took my 7mm Rem Mag and a single shot hornet and had a ball blasting cane toads with the hornet so take a rimfire if it fits in your case.For a fee you can have a go at scrub bulls I shot one that was stuck in mud so I got it for free and still got the horns.Big pigs are where you find them.Have a ball I still remember it as if I had done it yesterday

Condition on the beast is a factor in rifle and round selection and I can say that buff is one of the best red meats for eating that ya will ever taste!! :D
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

Good luck getting what your after for $5,000 AUD each.
I just had a quote less than a fortnight ago for 1 trophy Buff each,,,, out of a two day catered hunt for me and a mate.

:shock: :shock: :shock: $13,000 each.,,,,,, and we were taking our own firearms and ammo.

:wtf:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 9:48 pm

What rifle and chambering are you taking.The crew I went with allowed a bloke to use a 6.5x55 but thats getting a bit on the light side for water buffalo bulls.The 7mm Rem did the job but the guides had Ruger Safari in 416 Rigby
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2017, 9:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:What rifle and chambering are you taking.The crew I went with allowed a bloke to use a 6.5x55 but thats getting a bit on the light side for water buffalo bulls.The 7mm Rem did the job but the guides had Ruger Safari in 416 Rigby

6.5x55 ???????

No bloody wonder the guides had 416 Rigbys :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

Apparently the hunter with the 6.5x55 claimed he could do the job and did it well with shot placement.I am not sure how many he put in it but I hit my buff at about 80 metres in the heart lung area and then stood there smiling as it went down but it got back up and started to look for us so I put the other 3 in the mag into it then reloaded 3 more and ran out from behind the tree I was using and closed to about 40 metres then put 3 more in the heart lung area then reloaded with the next 3 and got behind on a 45 and put 2 more in it and seen them come out its chest and it went down again.Then it stood up again and because it was an old bull its spine was showing and it staggered around broadside I am now about 20 metres and I scoped up the backbone and put one through its spine and it splayed out and stopped for the last time.The guide went crazy as I walked around in front of it but it was dead as and I tapped its eyeball and there was no reaction.A solid bullet in 6.5 with enough energy could do the job but I agree it is light for big game and I would rather use a 50cal out of an armoured car
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:16 pm

Some hunters use a bow and arrow or worse Internationals turn up with big ass hand guns and make outrageous claims of power and penetration then fail and have their lives saved by the guide and his 416 Rigby. 375 H&H is the right chambering
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

Daddybang I am almost certain the O.P. is going on a guided Safari in the N.T. but if you have access to Water Buffalo in FNQ then good luck to you and I get where condition is important.We have a few in the Northern Kimberly but I am not sure how you go about getting them.Where we hunted in Arnhemland they were everywhere and it was rare to see a track that did not have dung and hoofprints.I am sure a small one would be good tucker
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 18 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:Daddybang I am almost certain the O.P. is going on a guided Safari in the N.T. but if you have access to Water Buffalo in FNQ then good luck to you and I get where condition is important.We have a few in the Northern Kimberly but I am not sure how you go about getting them.Where we hunted in Arnhemland they were everywhere and it was rare to see a track that did not have dung and hoofprints.I am sure a small one would be good tucker

I spent a decade in the territory where I learnt to shoot hunt fish drink beer and chase girls. Cows and young bulls are top eating :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2017, 11:16 pm

Ahhh memories
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 19 Oct 2017, 2:08 am

going over there to hunt water buff ranks up there with elk moose or grizzly and most the guys here wouldnt think twice about droping that typ of money sure we can hunt them on state land but so can every one else.
i hunt just about every legal way i wouldnt use a bow or a hand gun on some thing that big and i dont knock any that does as long as they are fallowing all laws i dont lke getting that close to any think that can turn around and stomp on me and if you are hunting with a hand gun you might as well have a rifle when it gets that big
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

Good call Wrenchman,some of the stories around the campfire were interesting how they bang away at a big ass bull 25metres away with a super handgun but the recoil and the situation means half the pills are landing in ineffective areas.The spine on water buffalo is different to most cattle as it curves down deeper and their shoulders are a big ball of muscle,They are related to bison who as we know can run fast and for a long time and love doing the harlem shuffle on your head.The bow hunter stories are worse.With bow hunting you have to get close and plonk your arrow in the right place then stay hidden.The next day you follow the birds and your buff will be down.This one chap shot too high and landed his arrow in the shoulder mass then stood up and walked away pissed off.It seen him and charged but the guide put 3x.416 Rigby in it front on and it pulled up so close blood sprayed up to his waist.He quit guiding after that.Wimp!!!!!
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Baz460 » 19 Oct 2017, 6:18 pm

Interesting about a 2 day hunt for $13000, s**t that is African price.
I have contacted probably half a dozen outfitters regards a 5 day hunt for two, with one trophy bull each and a management animal, the prices fully catered for range from $20,000 for two all inclusive, to $11,000 for two all inclusive. The $20,000 hunt, the bloke wanted US Dollars, and I mentioned to him that I am bloody Australian and will be paying in Australian Dollars. LOL. some of these jokers think they are in Africa, and want you to pay in US Dollars. Anyway, I have 6 months to find someone suitable, so will wait and see what turns up. On the small calibres, I have know doubt that you can drop a bull buff with a brain shot from a 6.5 and a solid, but me, I will be using a 500 double and my mate a 458 Lott.

Thanks for your replies. Baz
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Oct 2017, 6:30 pm

Baz460 wrote:Interesting about a 2 day hunt for $13000, s**t that is African price.
I have contacted probably half a dozen outfitters regards a 5 day hunt for two, with one trophy bull each and a management animal, the prices fully catered for range from $20,000 for two all inclusive, to $11,000 for two all inclusive. The $20,000 hunt, the bloke wanted US Dollars, and I mentioned to him that I am bloody Australian and will be paying in Australian Dollars. LOL. some of these jokers think they are in Africa, and want you to pay in US Dollars. Anyway, I have 6 months to find someone suitable, so will wait and see what turns up. On the small calibres, I have know doubt that you can drop a bull buff with a brain shot from a 6.5 and a solid, but me, I will be using a 500 double and my mate a 458 Lott.

Thanks for your replies. Baz

Hey baz if ya find a good one would ya mind letting us know !? :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 19 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have emailed 4 outfitters and spoken to one, and am now in the process of deciding which way to go.
The prices have varied from $11,000 per person, for one trophy and one management animal, full accommodation transfers, trophy fees, head preparation and licenses, etc and on the other hand, I have been quoted $5500 per person for the same hunt, all inclusive, which I think is more realistic, and for Die Juducil getting a quote for $13000 per person for a 2 day hunt, that is a crazy price. One of the outfitters because my mate is an American, wanted us to pay in US Dollars, I had to remind him that this not Africa, and being Australian I would be paying in Australian currency, and that was that, and he all of a sudden he changed from US dollars to Aussie dollars, LOL So I will wait and get some more quotes and then make a decision for next year. Plus being an ex slaughterman, I have absolutely no doubt that a 6.5 solid in the brain would drop a buffalo, as I have brained hundreds of big bulls with a captive bolt, but my mate will be using a 458 Lott and I will use a 500 double.
Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

Baz460 wrote:Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have emailed 4 outfitters and spoken to one, and am now in the process of deciding which way to go.
The prices have varied from $11,000 per person, for one trophy and one management animal, full accommodation transfers, trophy fees, head preparation and licenses, etc and on the other hand, I have been quoted $5500 per person for the same hunt, all inclusive, which I think is more realistic, and for Die Juducil getting a quote for $13000 per person for a 2 day hunt, that is a crazy price. One of the outfitters because my mate is an American, wanted us to pay in US Dollars, I had to remind him that this not Africa, and being Australian I would be paying in Australian currency, and that was that, and he all of a sudden he changed from US dollars to Aussie dollars, LOL So I will wait and get some more quotes and then make a decision for next year. Plus being an ex slaughterman, I have absolutely no doubt that a 6.5 solid in the brain would drop a buffalo, as I have brained hundreds of big bulls with a captive bolt, but my mate will be using a 458 Lott and I will use a 500 double.
Cheers Baz.

Yeah Baz,,, Methinks some of these outfitters are just used to rich pr!cks as customers, and therefore not really living in the real world when it comes to dealing with genuine Aussie battlers.

The brain shot (regardless of caliber) can still be a dicey deal.
To prove my point,,, consider the following experience I had 18 months ago.

I had a huge steer to be put in the freezers, (I did post about it, but not the drama involved in putting it down)

On the day, the mobile butcher rocked up, and we drove out to where the cattle were.
He sat in the truck while I walked to a good spot and chance to drop the steer.
I was only 10 or 12 meters from him and directly in front, as he stood and stared at me.
With the 30/30 I lined up the sweet spot on the brain and fired.
His legs flew out from under him and he hit the dirt.
But,,,,,,, as I cycled the empty case out,,,, he suddenly stood up again,, shook his head a couple of times, and started walking away.

I followed him up, and he walked about 500 meters without stopping.
Then he stopped under the shade of a tree, and stood still again.
I circled around in front to the same general position,,, and repeated the process.

This time he was down and out.

The butcher drove up and started to crane him up,,, and said "that was F'''''''''ing unbelievable."

When the head came off, we rolled it over and skun the forehead bare.
Both bullet holes had clover leafed to the point that it was only just noticeable that there had been 2 shots.

Now if he had been a Buff bull,,, I reckon we would have been in some serious trouble,,,,,, or up a tree.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2017, 10:19 pm

100_3980.JPG
100_3980.JPG (655.63 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
100_3983.JPG
100_3983.JPG (669.51 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
100_3988.JPG
100_3988.JPG (806.99 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
Just found a few pics of the steer that I had taken the day before we butchered him,,,,, just to give all an idea of his size.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2017, 11:56 pm

The hunter using the 6.5 x 55 Swede had solid big game handloads and he belted them in the boiler room and it did the job.I doubt you will have to put more than 2 shots in with a 458 lott or 500 but I bet you reload anyway.If you try to head shoot you could ruin the horns which is what you are chasing.It is an amazing place and you should enjoy the moment.I got a 6 day hunt for $2500 but it was a while ago and at the end of the season and I had to book my own flights etc.I am suprised that a 30/30 did not penetrate the brain box on that steer but it was a soft nose no doubt.I had a single shot H&R in hornet for dispatching dairy cows and it got in there real good
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

duncan61 wrote:The hunter using the 6.5 x 55 Swede had solid big game handloads and he belted them in the boiler room and it did the job.I doubt you will have to put more than 2 shots in with a 458 lott or 500 but I bet you reload anyway.If you try to head shoot you could ruin the horns which is what you are chasing.It is an amazing place and you should enjoy the moment.I got a 6 day hunt for $2500 but it was a while ago and at the end of the season and I had to book my own flights etc.I am suprised that a 30/30 did not penetrate the brain box on that steer but it was a soft nose no doubt.I had a single shot H&R in hornet for dispatching dairy cows and it got in there real good

The 30/30 slugs punched right through the forehead bone no worries,,,, but, and as the butcher commented I may have been shooting on an upward or downward trajectory (uneven ground) ever so slightly,,,, but enough that the projectile didn't pass through the brain itself properly.

Just as well it was docile, and not a raging scrubber eh ?

The boiler room as you say is a better option on Buffs,, especially with .375 or similar through the shoulder plus wrecking the boiler itself.
They can't run as fast when only on 3 wheels. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

duncan61 wrote:Apparently the hunter with the 6.5x55 claimed he could do the job and did it well with shot placement.I am not sure how many he put in it but I hit my buff at about 80 metres in the heart lung area and then stood there smiling as it went down but it got back up and started to look for us so I put the other 3 in the mag into it then reloaded 3 more and ran out from behind the tree I was using and closed to about 40 metres then put 3 more in the heart lung area then reloaded with the next 3 and got behind on a 45 and put 2 more in it and seen them come out its chest and it went down again.Then it stood up again and because it was an old bull its spine was showing and it staggered around broadside I am now about 20 metres and I scoped up the backbone and put one through its spine and it splayed out and stopped for the last time.The guide went crazy as I walked around in front of it but it was dead as and I tapped its eyeball and there was no reaction.A solid bullet in 6.5 with enough energy could do the job but I agree it is light for big game and I would rather use a 50cal out of an armoured car

I think I'll stick to rabbits.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 18 Nov 2017, 10:14 am

Well I have booked a hunt for September next year, after making a heap of enquires with outfitters and on this forum, have made a decision and put down a deposit for 5 full days hunting Buff.
I booked with Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris run by Aaron Corbett, have spoken to him on the phone and am pleased at what he had to offer, and he seems like a real genuine bloke.
Thanks for all your input.
Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 11:04 am

Lol I'm doing it for free next year :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

Lots of monster pigs to hunt and the fishing is amazing
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

Yup,and a couple of 45/70s to test out too ! :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

Are you driving up
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia