Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Australia Buffalo Hunt.

Post by hunter1941 » 22 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

Hello Baz460,
How was your Sept. 2018 buff hunt.? hope that it was successful and enjoyable.. Due to personal commitments, I was away most of Aug and Sept. In Oct. I was in Perth assisting at the Shot Show. then we ( and 2 best mates) went up for 2 weeks to Darwin and surrounds for crabbing and fishing, and in Buff land. it was very hot and dry, but had a few short drizzles every afternoon. and still plenty of grass in the Billabongs and gully runoffs. managed to get within 85 yds before the two big bulls got up and took off, one to the right and one to the left, running around us, BH was in the front, with the old trusty 1922, double 470 Nitro, took the one on the right with the right barrel, the one on the left with the left barrel, both shoulder shots, he immediately reloaded and gave the left bull another two shots. FI following behind with my 416 Rigby , at this stage the right hand side bull stood up, FI gave him a 410 grani Woodleigh frontal shot through the chest and lungs. the left bull was the was the biggest shot on the property in 40 years, body size. 2 people were recently gored again, using totally inadequate calibres on foot. . one was a PH using a 300 Win. mag. 3 shots at the charging buff, but before it died of lead poisoning, it gored the PH in the side and he may be losing an arm. When I was in Perth for the shot show, alot of budding buff hunters intend going to the NT with a 308 Win. on foot. definitely too light. min cal. is 375 HH, however as I sad before in the previous post some need three killing vital shots , and they still ran before stopping. From a car, shooting for meat its different, a mate uses a 243 Win with FMJ and another one uses a 303 and 308 with FMC but shooting from inside the car at a young meat bull.. ones life is too precious, living on the edge is fine. using a light cal. on buff too is fine as long as you are backed up by a trust worthy mate with a 416 Rigby or larger. I only have a handfull of old mates I trust thoroughly. that I go hunting with. BH and FI are both 60. , and I am 78, so I hope to have at least another decade yet of buff hunting. BH is going to Africa , next year for a Cape Buff, but I won't go as its not worth the money and I don't mount trophies.. This is what has worked for me, and these ramblings are only a guide to the younger shooters.
hunter1941
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Nov 2018, 6:59 pm

Oh,but hang on,didn't someone say 7mm rm is perfectly adequate.....?
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Baz460 » 22 Nov 2018, 7:32 pm

Hunter 1941.
Mate I did go over to the Territory in September and hunted with Aaron Corbet's, Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris, and had a great time. My mate came out from the States and he shot 3 great bulls with his 500 MDM, and I shot two Buff and a massive old scrub bull with my 500 double.
Baz460
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 22 Nov 2018, 7:51 pm

One of my Buff.
Attachments
6DEC13D7-165D-4073-9E55-89BA0CD20B0C.jpeg
6DEC13D7-165D-4073-9E55-89BA0CD20B0C.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 122 times
Baz460
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by hunter1941 » 24 Nov 2018, 9:52 pm

Good on you Baz460,
Glad you got value for your hunt, and got some good trophies. Like your 500 Double, at least its not likely to run far, Adequate Calibre is what drops them 99.9% of the time. and not have them charge. I have used a 7mm Rem. Mag ( had three of them) and have shot buffs with this cal. but if my life depended on it , its one cal. I wouldn't use. I smoked a Cuban Cigar 3 nights ago with a best mate in memoriam of MD , my good friend , the longest full time guide in the NT. met him in the early 1970's.
MD passed away last year at the age of 77. (medical reason.) He loved Cuban cigars with a good scotch. I hunted with him a number of times , many many hunts.
I am already planning another buff hunt in 2019, with some geese shooting, and the usual barra and crabbing. This time June/July. mush cooler.
I shall be in my 79th year.
Attachments
R2330.JPG
The Big Big Bull by BH
R2330.JPG (343.68 KiB) Viewed 85 times
hunter1941
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by hunter1941 » 25 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

THIS WAS THE BIG BIG BULL.