Horse hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Horse hunting

Post by pete1 » 28 Oct 2017, 5:19 pm

So me and a mate have talked about doing a interstate hunting trip, we both wanna hunt something different and new, we've talked about camels, Buffalo, ect. He suggested horses, i know they have them in the high country, mount Kosciuszko, northern WA.
Of course all states have rules and would defiantly look into them before we even plan it.
Out of curiosity has any one ever hunted horses on here, if so any info on your experience would be good, like what cal, where you went, how you found/ tracked them, ect

Cheers
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Horse hunting

Post by Daddybang » 28 Oct 2017, 5:48 pm

G'day pete ive taken sh@t loads of brumbies usually as pig bait. Not much too it they tend to make a mess so pretty easy to track a mob!! If ya know theyre in an area sit on a water course early and late (like cattle) and ya should have a win. Also look for huge piles of dung that'll tell ya if a stallion is around. :drinks: :drinks:
As for calibre anything above .222 (including) is plenty (I use .243 90gr ppu)
Neck shots are easy just put a round in the top third of the neck and they'll drop but I prefer front on headshots. About an inch above the top of the eye and slightly off center gives a nice fountain effect!!! :drinks:

20171028_173025.jpg
20171028_173025.jpg (526.74 KiB) Viewed 9837 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Oct 2017, 6:03 pm

Should also add up until they're about two year old the rumps are bloody good eating rich dark red meat kinda like roo!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2017, 6:44 pm

bentaz wrote:My wife has one, its a jerk you can shoot it if you want.
Not hard to track down, it just in the yard, usually wreaking my stuff!

Why don't you convert it into steak or jerky?.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 28 Oct 2017, 6:50 pm

Daddybang wrote:Should also add up until they're about two year old the rumps are bloody good eating rich dark red meat kinda like roo!! :drinks:

Yep good eating.... Have a quick look for sign around any available water sources, it will be obvious if they are in the area..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pete1 » 28 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

Never eaten horse, but would defiantly give it a go.
Wouldn't mind a nice hide as well, but as a wild animal would expect mark and scaring.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

pete1 wrote:Never eaten horse, but would defiantly give it a go.
Wouldn't mind a nice hide as well, but as a wild animal would expect mark and scaring.

Get them in the dry (up here) or winter down south the hide will be all shaggy and most of the marks will be harder to see except around the legs :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

If you get them on water and they haven't been shot at before you should knock a few down before they cotton on to what's going on
As for eating '' SALAMI '' mate ''SALAMI'' best salami meat you can get is horse
As well as steaks and silverside and maltese sausages plenty of garlic parsley and wine
Yep as was said around water morning and afternoon best times you could walk miles and see nothing so sit and let them come to you

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by veep » 15 Nov 2017, 3:07 pm

horse_meat.jpg
horse_meat.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 9636 times

:mrgreen:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm

Yeah Veep and its a bonus if you can win the Melbourne Cup with it before you eat it
Member-Deleted

Post by Rikta » 15 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

hahahaha +100000 rep
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2017, 6:29 pm

sungazer wrote:I would keep it quite. Killing horses is a sure way to get an emotional response from just about any female.

Ya should meet my missus. ...We've got an appy that is just a broodmare as soon as she doesn't foal the wife wants to turn her into a rug for the bedroom!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Nov 2017, 7:22 pm

Isn't that funny. I saw that heading and immediately thought it was about hunting on horseback. Something I wanted to do when I was younger. Seems the memory of that dream is stalking me.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2017, 7:44 pm

I could drop in with the 3006. Will be driving past in a couple of weeks.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:...... immediately thought it was about hunting on horseback. Something I wanted to do when I was younger. Seems the memory of that dream is stalking me.

Im working on it........
FB_IMG_1510739938904.jpg
FB_IMG_1510739938904.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 9579 times

FB_IMG_1510739702861.jpg
FB_IMG_1510739702861.jpg (53.62 KiB) Viewed 9579 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 15 Nov 2017, 8:19 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Isn't that funny. I saw that heading and immediately thought it was about hunting on horseback. Something I wanted to do when I was younger. Seems the memory of that dream is stalking me.

Yes that would be interesting, can't ride a horse well, but would be fun want to hunt on a set of skies too.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 15 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

That target doesn't look like very good eating Bent Arrow :? But the horse does.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, good stuff.. Would be great to have a horse doing all the leg work on a hunt :thumbsup:

How does ya horse go with guns going bang ? or do you just plan to go with the bow ?.. Either way 8-)

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by pete1 » 15 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm

darwindingo wrote:That target doesn't look like very good eating Bent Arrow :? But the horse does.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, good stuff.. Would be great to have a horse doing all the leg work on a hunt :thumbsup:

How does ya horse go with guns going bang ? or do you just plan to go with the bow ?.. Either way 8-)

Well they sent horses to WW1, must be able to train them. be a adventure
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2017, 9:00 pm

pete1 wrote:
darwindingo wrote:That target doesn't look like very good eating Bent Arrow :? But the horse does.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Takes a lot of time and patience to get a horse to stand up under a rifle!! Started the process with one of my mares six months ago but had to put it on hold as she is due to foal in a week or so. When I stopped about two months ago she would stand for the. 22 (stingers) when I was only a meter or two away. When the foal arrives I'll start working with both. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 15 Nov 2017, 9:18 pm

pete1 wrote:

Sure can Pete, It takes a fair effort to condition them from what I've seen. Although a mate had a couple over the years that just couldn't get used to it, no matter how much he worked on them..

Good stuff Daddybang, from what Ive seen it takes quite a bit of effort along with the correct approach. Any advice regarding the training / conditioning process? Just thinking it may help anyone with the desire to condition one for such use.. :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Nov 2017, 11:17 pm

I used to Start them off sitting on them with a whip
Crack it all around it till it stands it could take awhile weeks ,months then work up to a rifle
not a big one at first then move up to bigger caliber
As was said some horses never settle at all
Member-Deleted

Post by Rikta » 15 Nov 2017, 11:56 pm

bugger riding horses, I'll pass
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2017, 12:07 am

Perhaps a new thread is in order to continue the topic of training and conditioning horses around guns for use when hunting .. I'm concerned that we may inadvertently end up hijacking Pete's thread that is about hunting horses as apposed to hunting from horse back and the methods of training and conditioning them to do so..

Sorry Pete.. ! Was not my intention :oops:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Nov 2017, 6:12 am

I don't think I'd be able to train the quarter horse that is in the photos for shooting with rifles, wrong temperament. However, I did train an Australian stock pony I used to have many years ago with intent to shoot bunnies with the 22lr. With the right horse it's actually not overly difficult. My brother had a stock whip and used to muck around in the paddock near the horse, and the horse didn't give a rats a_ _. After watching too many cowboy movies as a kid the idea took hold. Within a couple of weeks my brother could crack his stock whip on the horse. I then started shooting the 22 standing progressively closer and closer to the horse until he didn't do more than flick his ears at the shot. That took a couple of months mucking around only once or twice a week (my parents would have gone spare if they knew what we were up to). Then I got on the horse with my brother holding the halter and prepared myself to fall off but didn't even get a reaction from the horse. It was heaps of fun but I missed more than I hit. Never had a centrefire back then so didn't have a chance to try that.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Archie » 16 Nov 2017, 6:55 am

Daddybang wrote:
sungazer wrote:I would keep it quite. Killing horses is a sure way to get an emotional response from just about any female.

Ya should meet my missus. ...We've got an appy that is just a broodmare as soon as she doesn't foal the wife wants to turn her into a rug for the bedroom!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

That must make life easier. Cute bunnies, fine, fluffy little baby goats, fine, Bambi, fine, but what would happen to me if I even mentioned I was thinking of shooting a horse... I don't even want to think about it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 7:23 am

grandadbushy wrote:I used to Start them off sitting on them with a whip
Crack it all around it till it stands it could take awhile weeks ,months then work up to a rifle
not a big one at first then move up to bigger caliber
As was said some horses never settle at all

Bent Arrow wrote:I don't think I'd be able to train the quarter horse that is in the photos for shooting with rifles, wrong temperament. However, I did train an Australian stock pony I used to have many years ago with intent to shoot bunnies with the 22lr. With the right horse it's actually not overly difficult. My brother had a stock whip and used to muck around in the paddock near the horse, and the horse didn't give a rats a_ _. After watching too many cowboy movies as a kid the idea took hold. Within a couple of weeks my brother could crack his stock whip on the horse. I then started shooting the 22 standing progressively closer and closer to the horse until he didn't do more than flick his ears at the shot. That took a couple of months mucking around only once or twice a week (my parents would have gone spare if they knew what we were up to). Then I got on the horse with my brother holding the halter and prepared myself to fall off but didn't even get a reaction from the horse. It was heaps of fun but I missed more than I hit. Never had a centrefire back then so didn't have a chance to try that.

Both BA and granddad are on the money. It's just a matter of starting out with a loud noise (rifle or whip) and getting closer and closer. As has been said some will be too "spooky" to take to it. I wouldn't even try with our stallion as he is just too flighty. Also the younger ya start them the better. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 7:28 am

Archie wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

That must make life easier. Cute bunnies, fine, fluffy little baby goats, fine, Bambi, fine, but what would happen to me if I even mentioned I was thinking of shooting a horse... I don't even want to think about it.

Mine grew up on a farm in Ireland where her dad would butcher goats and sheep on the kitchen table so thankfully she's not squeamish or sentimental. If we're feeding something it has to earn it somehow or out come her knives!!!makes me a bit nervous sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 06 Jan 2021, 11:29 am

Im a bit late on this post. Horse bow hunting is a huge sport in Europe and Eurasia - shooting a horse bow/short bow is similar to Asian styles of thumb drawing using a ring. It is an amazing sport once you get into it, but the learning curve it big - you gotta learn to shoot the bow first, then you adapt it to your horse riding style.

Plenty of video's on you tube - just think of the Mongols/Tartars/Janissaries etc
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 06 Jan 2021, 1:17 pm

Horse meat has been used in the past by may cultures. I understand mortadella was made from horse meat in days gone by.
It's all they had in some places. I believe it is still used in some culture today.
As for training a horse, a stock whip if you can manage to use one without injuring yourself, of you can buy 22LR blanks.
As for caliber, I myself would prefer 270 or 308 and above.

Ps: don't mention this tread to my wife or daughters, they are mad keep horse riders :crazy:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 08 Jan 2021, 7:35 am

Anyone heard any more about the incident last year where a bunch of hunters shot all the station work horses near the homestead?
I lost track of it.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey