Dog wont hunt :(

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Dog wont hunt :(

Post by jennageit » 31 Oct 2017, 2:25 pm

Hi guys,
I've got a Catahoula Leopard Dog and my daughter has a pet rabbit.

My dog, Tux, would harass the rabbit given any opportunity. The rabbit (George) decided to teach Tux a lesson by spraying all over his face. Hilarious and effective, but now it's stuffed me up.

At present I have 4 young wild rabbits running around the back of my property. I'm on a half acre houseblock so cannot legally shoot them (I'd love to!). So, I took Tux out, he took one look, went to chase them and then bolted back to me. I had hoped he would be a rabbiter in the future, but it seems that George may have spoiled that.

So, my question is this:
What is the best way to get him over his 'fear' of rabbits? I need him to annihilate these little buggers because I'm not allowed to shoot them. I don't want them traipsing all over the property in case they carry Calici, which could spread to my little girls rabbit, and we'd lose him.

So, suggestions please!

TIA
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Dog wont hunt :(

Post by Grizzle » 31 Oct 2017, 2:54 pm

Trade him in for a real dog like my Saatchie. :lol:
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 31 Oct 2017, 3:55 pm

Can ya shoot a rabbit or get hold of a dead one elsewhere? Feed it to the dog so he gets a taste for them? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2017, 4:11 pm

Take the dog and the rabbit to the vet,,,,, have the dog put down,,,,,,,,,,, and then,,,, then get the rabbit vaccinated.

Then get a new dog that isn't frightened of rabbits.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 4:44 pm

Daddybang wrote:Can ya shoot a rabbit or get hold of a dead one elsewhere? Feed it to the dog so he gets a taste for them? :drinks:

this will work :drinks: especially if you tease him with it first :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Oct 2017, 4:51 pm

Idon't know about dogs chasing rabbits but I have seen how to stop them chasing something :thumbsup:
An old farmer had a cattle X that chased his chooks so he got a sugar bag put the dead chook in then put the dog in tied the top and belted the crap out of the bag with a piece of hose then let the dog out he bolted never touched a chook again :thumbsup:
I asked the old fella why put him in the bag with the chook and he said that in the bag the dog thought that the chook was belting him not the hose
and he wouldn't forget that :lol: :lol: :crazy:
Tough love I suppose either that or shoot him if he doesn't stop killing chooks :unknown:
Member-Deleted

Post by Tripod » 31 Oct 2017, 5:18 pm

Teach it to rabbit and you won't have a pet rabbit. So there's your choice.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bigjobss » 31 Oct 2017, 6:27 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Take the dog and the rabbit to the vet,,,,, have the dog put down,,,,,,,,,,, and then,,,, then get the rabbit vaccinated.

Then get a new dog that isn't frightened of rabbits.

Ahahahahah :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by juststarting » 31 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

Sounds like you could keep Tux as a pet and George I feel has agressive potential to hunt. The killer rabbit. There was a documentary on that sometime ago, about the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. Maybe, try to replicate training techniques.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 31 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

Juststarting - having anything to do with this rabbit equates to being a blood sport, I swear! I'm always bleeding after handling him, but my little girl loves him and he's sweet with her, so he stays.
Marksman - there are a couple of the buggers running in the back of the property. This evening I let him have another shot at getting one, definitely piqued his interest. He lost it, but did grab a mouthful of fur, so that's a plus.
Grizzle - No, just no lmao
Marksman - I'm trying to find somewhere to hunt where I can do just that. Although i did bring one back from my last hunting trip and offered it to the dog, no go. However, I didn't make a game out of it, nor tease him with it. Maybe that might just do the trick.
Tripod - Because of the way we manage the animals, there's about a 2% chance that Tux will ever get hold of George. I know the risk is still there, but it's worth a shot.

At least this evening, he was interested in chasing and following through, rather than just chasing and then running back to mummy lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

My dogs never killed chickens, they all lived in harmony together

My missus went and bought 6 bantam chicks.
Eventually 3 of them started to crow which left me with no choice but to cut off their heads.

The dogs watched me grab a rooster by the legs, carry it to the chopping block and axe its head off.

I didn't have to kill the rest, the dogs decided to do it for me... just the other roosters to.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 31 Oct 2017, 7:48 pm

Had the same with a deer hound once bloke that bred him said I will fix for you told me to come back in a week with a young rabbit I did he held the dog I let rabbit run, dog grabbed an killed the rabbit then ate it after that he would chase and kill anything when I asked what the breeder had done he said nothing what he should have said was did not feed the dog for a week I hate typing on phone
Last edited by pomemax on 31 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Corn » 31 Oct 2017, 7:53 pm

Umm, do you have access to an air rifle?
Do any of the neighbouring properties look into your backyard?
Do you have good neighbours? (I have a nice one and I have one that I wouldn't call 000 if his house was on fire! A true asshat!)
Perhaps a sub sonic 22? (I've heard that they are quieter!)

Trap one, and handle it, play with Tux & the rabbit, try to get him to play tug o war with you with the rabbit!
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 31 Oct 2017, 8:16 pm

Corn - I'm so lucky, one neighbour is a gunsmith (no, I didn't go househunting via the yellow pages lol) so maybe I could borrow an air rifle off him. I've used sub sonic in my 22's and they are too loud :( I have a neighbour across the road who is currently keeping a diary of every time my dog so much as whines (prick).
I can ring a mate and see if he can bring me a dead bunny, tie it to a flirt pole and see if I can get Tux interested in it then (he loves flirt poles), and then let him 'kill' it.
Time to make some phone calls I think :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 31 Oct 2017, 8:21 pm

Have you got a possum trap? Trap rabbit(s) and dispose of humanely......problem solved
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 31 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

No possum trap mate, but my neighbour has a cat trap I could borrow, maybe. Won't help teach Tux to hunt, but will dispose of the rabbit problem in my back yard!

On a side note, my neighbour had to dispose of 4 with Myxo a few months ago.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2017, 9:42 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Have you got a possum trap? Trap rabbit(s) and dispose of humanely......problem solved

I guess that negates the risk of the RSPCA being called in, due to some of the suggested solutions posted here. :lol:

HEY PETA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cop a load of this !
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 31 Oct 2017, 11:18 pm

I hope you have the fur from a rabbit some where
I take it the dog like most of them chases a ball get him going with a ball then swap it during the game for one you have sowed rabbit fur too do the rabbit fur ball till he get to liking it next time you see rabbits tell the dog to go get ball cast your arm in the direction of them
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 03 Nov 2017, 10:52 am

Okay, so an update on my dog.
Last night I took Tux out the back and we did a lovely sneak up on some bunnies up the back. He spotted them and took off. Sadly they had too many places to go to get away from him, but he did come back with the tail off one. I let him have it as his reward. Hopefully when the time comes, he'll show the same amount of enthusiasm!
Will keep you updated!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Nov 2017, 3:07 pm

Why not just move to Queensland, no rabbits allowed up here. That way the dog won't have a complex and look at the money saved on psychologist bills. Could start your firearm collections. :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Why not just move to Queensland, no rabbits allowed up here. That way the dog won't have a complex and look at the money saved on psychologist bills. Could start your firearm collections. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 04 Nov 2017, 1:19 am

jennageit wrote:Okay, so an update on my dog.
Last night I took Tux out the back and we did a lovely sneak up on some bunnies up the back. He spotted them and took off. Sadly they had too many places to go to get away from him, but he did come back with the tail off one. I let him have it as his reward. Hopefully when the time comes, he'll show the same amount of enthusiasm!
Will keep you updated!

That's a good start Jenna :D. Keep up the training, he will get there :thumbsup: Will certainly save on the pet psychology bills that RJ so humorously suggested :lol:

Got some funny people on this forum :D

Btw.. When you say "I let him have it as his reward" I assume you meant the bunny tail :lol: :P Letting him have it (aka a beating) could otherwise deter him :lol: :P :P :P

Sorry couldn't help myself :P

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 04 Nov 2017, 6:45 pm

Tripod wrote:Teach it to rabbit and you won't have a pet rabbit. So there's your choice.

Exactly. You can't expect the dog to chase wild rabbits but see your kids pet as a pack member/friend.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Nov 2017, 10:23 pm

jennageit wrote: Sadly they had too many places to go to get away from him, but he did come back with the tail off one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:allegedly:

No pictures = Didn't happen. (used many times on this forum)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm

Gwion wrote:
Tripod wrote:Teach it to rabbit and you won't have a pet rabbit. So there's your choice.

Exactly. You can't expect the dog to chase wild rabbits but see your kids pet as a pack member/friend.

PLUS 13.5 my friend, :thumbsup: for a bit of common sense.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey