tree stands or hi seat

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: tree stands or hi seat

Post by juststarting » 11 Dec 2017, 3:55 pm

:shock: I thought you were going to ask, how heavy are his nads
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Dec 2017, 8:53 pm

Aha the old canvas stool. A good choice. Had I seen one might have got one. P. S. my stool is aluminium. Pretty light, but yes a bit hard.

PPS, can't put a glass of beer on a canvas stool. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 12 Dec 2017, 10:31 am

i am not a big fan of tree stands our best hunting is in nov and it can get cold and the wind dont make it any more fun swaying in a tree.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pete1 » 12 Dec 2017, 11:08 am

winton wrote:Do many stalkers or sit and wait hunters bring a portable stool with them?

Like the 3 pole and a canvas seat. I bring this with me all the time.

I sometimes use these, but a 4 legered one, weighs not much more and alot more comfy.
There handy to take a break on long hikes or shooting off a stump.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2017, 12:23 pm

I got mine from Snowys $19 including postage. Allumium. I always carry a small piece of foam carpet underlay, it helps
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Dec 2017, 1:24 pm

I think the main difference is the available hunting terrain vs population density, we have the luxury or being able to walk around for days without seeing or hearing another hunter without putting in much effort.

I've heard stories of whitetail opening days where its gunshots all day long around you, id be sitting still too!
Bigjobss

Post by sungazer » 12 Dec 2017, 1:31 pm

Like our long gone duck opening day. That used to be a shot fest.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Dec 2017, 2:44 pm

My opening this year was at a quiet spot but mates that went to Boart said it was out of control, shooters everywhere
Bigjobss

Post by winton » 12 Dec 2017, 3:47 pm

Bigjobss wrote:but mates that went to Boart said it was out of control, shooters everywhere

You mean Boort?

Bigjobss wrote:My opening this year was at a quiet spot

How far did you have to go for this quiet spot?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

winton wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:but mates that went to Boart said it was out of control, shooters everywhere

You mean Boort?

Bigjobss wrote:My opening this year was at a quiet spot

How far did you have to go for this quiet spot?

Yeh Boort, Boart were a former contractor.

Past Warnnambool, access through private and restricted properties hence quiet.

Too quiet is no good either.
Bigjobss

Post by wrenchman » 13 Dec 2017, 4:13 am

there were 585994 deer hunters last year in my state most are in the wood on nov 15 when our gun hunting opens 40% of the deer are taken in them 2 weeks of gun hunting if you try stalking deer at that time you risk bumping the deer to other hunters.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 13 Dec 2017, 4:18 am

there are schools in my state that close on nov 15 becouse so few kids show up for shool to hunt
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2017, 9:10 am

I use the Primus black tactical Kool model, spray painted the legs black. :lol: :lol:

It's light, compact and just hang it of the belt or back pack.

stool.01.jpg
stool.01.jpg (204.63 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by winton » 14 Dec 2017, 11:31 am

pete1 wrote:

I sometimes use these, but a 4 legered one, weighs not much more and alot more comfy.

You mean this?

Do Rays Outdoor sell em?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Dec 2017, 10:46 pm

:lol: Hey Winton, that's a better one but I could only afford 3 legs... :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by winton » 15 Dec 2017, 5:18 pm

I had desiel fuel sprayed over mine in the back of the ute and now need a new one, unless deer don't mind the smell of desiel.

I don't mind the 3 leg variety only it does get a little uncomfy after a while, but surely beats sitting on the ground.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2017, 4:42 pm

wrenchman wrote:i am not a big fan of tree stands our best hunting is in nov and it can get cold and the wind dont make it any more fun swaying in a tree.

There are a few of us that hunt with treestands, I use the lone wolf (assault and sit and climb) and the millennium M100U and the M150 plus I've made a heap of high seats. We can't use feeders on public land but sitting high in a tree overlooking a game trail in state forest that leads to improved pasture can be productive, also a high seat on private land can prove a great way to get a good steady shot across a paddock. High seats are also the way to go for hunting hog deer.

Here's playlist of made of stands and highseats in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Dt5MTsYY5M
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 25 Dec 2019, 9:35 pm

This is an old thread but heres a deer blind i built the other week and installed over a dam. Took some effort to build and install.

https://youtu.be/g9czN6Yk5Zo
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Dec 2019, 9:58 pm

100_5364.JPG
100_5364.JPG (863.37 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

I've tried a tree stand years ago, but didn't like it.
Nowadays, with the way I operate this is as high as I go.
Simply find the posi you want, park, throw a camo net over the cab, and your set
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Dec 2019, 10:39 pm

mchughcb wrote:This is an old thread but heres a deer blind i built the other week and installed over a dam. Took some effort to build and install.

Good stuff mch...(sorry---i dont do names that are constructed of all & only consonants...Must be why my Russian biatch left me.....)...(just kidding--never had a Russian lady...)

But seriously...thats dam good stuff mate..!!!...inspires me to get a deer property to go to that extent on...!!...

And thats the go i rekon..!!!....rather a permenant structure that over time absorbs the smells of the forrest, that will deliver on the target species, than something thats designed to rotate while you sit on it... :thumbsup:

But then...each to his own...i mean...i guess not all of us are there for the hunting ...
:silent:
:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 25 Dec 2019, 11:36 pm

This way i just walk in quietly and sit. I can and do sit with a pal. Sometimes we shoot the same deer, sometimes we shoot two deer at once. The bush is too thick for stalking. You will make too much noise before you see a deer. You need to sit quietly and wait. There is platypus in the dam too.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Dec 2019, 7:37 am

mchughcb wrote:This is an old thread but heres a deer blind i built the other week and installed over a dam. Took some effort to build and install.

Geez, thats a lot of work. These dont look too bad. A bloody side easier

Screenshot_20191226-083430_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191226-083430_Chrome.jpg (816.95 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 26 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

I've used them. They are okay but not big enough for two, the seats are crap and its not that good a rest for a 200m shot. You can't really stand in them either. Whereas the ones I make a good enough for two with gear, good enough for 250m shots and if it rains you don't get wet.

https://youtu.be/D8eemoYX2VU?list=PLVIn ... Dt5MTsYY5M
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Dec 2019, 9:36 pm

Australia is mostly open season on everything all year round so we have plenty of opportunities on game ,,, But I imagine if we only had two or three months to get our deer and we were useing a bow we might resort to the methods that get results fastest and with more certainty. But we tend to prefer the more challenging stalking method even if we don’t get a deer on the ground the real hunt gives satisfaction ....I use a thermal scope at night and sometimes I might wait for pigs on a waterhole midday in summer so there’s no way I’m going to rouse on a tree stand enthusiast...... I’ll bet my dog that the American Indians ambushed plenty of deer while hunting with a bow....and when they walked back into camp with a deer across their back their hungry salivating friends weren’t too worried about the method
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 26 Dec 2019, 9:48 pm

Here is a mobile highseat used to hunt hog deer solo.

https://youtu.be/bplkHiCsaIo
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 27 Dec 2019, 6:50 am

I'd like to try it, always wanted to just never really found anywhere that I could set up a hide, or permanent tree stand and leave it because I know the scum people in my region I'd come back and find whatever I've left destroyed.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

I tried it once bowhunting for fallow Had two deer walk up 5 mins after I sat down But not close enough to shoot Went back to my extremely unsuccessful foot stalking. Many years of good exercise.....deer too smart for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Dec 2019, 10:27 pm

Blr243 wrote:I tried it once bowhunting for fallow Had two deer walk up 5 mins after I sat down But not close enough to shoot Went back to my extremely unsuccessful foot stalking. Many years of good exercise.....deer too smart for me

It is so refreshing to hear anyone (like yourself) say something like this and include their short comings. :clap: :clap:

As opposed to some moron prattling on and trying to belittle something,, when it's painfully obvious they don't have the basic intelligence to even begin
to understand what it is they are prattling about.
Even a mongoloid maggot after corpus callosotomy would rate higher on the IQ scale.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey