Boiling head for european mount

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Boiling head for european mount

Post by Bigjobss » 09 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

Hey fellas,
Just shot my first stag and fleshed out the skull as much as possible and will boil it very soon, any tips, I remember hearing something about detergent once which is supposed to help?
Is it just as simple as boil it and pick of any leftover loose meat?
Bigjobss

Re: Boiling head for european mount

Post by Daddybang » 09 Dec 2017, 9:20 pm

Boil it til all the flesh falls off (will take a few hours). I usually put skulls out in the sun for around five days to dry but I don't know what the weather is like down there :unknown: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

Have a look on youtube there is a channel by the name of white bone creation he has good videos that will let you know every thing that you want to know.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2017, 11:54 pm

Yep, add a bit of detergent...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 10 Dec 2017, 7:16 am

use a high pressure hose to blast the loose bits off
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Dec 2017, 7:39 am

Cheers fellas.
White bone creations is a good tip.
Time to get outside and piss off the neighbours.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Dec 2017, 3:59 pm

Lots of stuffing around but worth it, didnt bleach it, dont like the fake looking super white bone.
Used a combo of napisan oxy clean and finish dishwashing detergent. I have a drain cleaning high pressure attachment for normal taps which worked well for the brain etc.
"Hunting" dog for scale!

20171211_120634.jpg
20171211_120634.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5574 times
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Dec 2017, 4:51 pm

sungazer wrote:Really nice set. Really symmetrical and well proportioned, looks the goods. Just need a man cave were you will be allowed to put it now :)

Yeh tell me about it! No suprise that the guy with the toy poodle doesnt have a man cave :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 11 Dec 2017, 5:38 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
sungazer wrote:Really nice set. Really symmetrical and well proportioned, looks the goods. Just need a man cave were you will be allowed to put it now :)

Yeh tell me about it! No suprise that the guy with the toy poodle doesnt have a man cave :lol:

:lol: :lol: . It came up nice!!! Like you I don't like that polished white look and hate it when they are sealef and get that yellow thru'em!!
Might have to try the napisan next time :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Dec 2017, 5:47 pm

Yeh the white bone creation youtube gave me the napisan idea, they used some american detergent called oxy something so i looked through the laundry and napisan seemed pretty close.
Plus i got onto fleshing it out asap and kept it cool, according to whitebone leaving the meat will darken the bone the longer its on.

20171211_120714.jpg
20171211_120714.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5559 times
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 11 Dec 2017, 6:15 pm

I might have to get on to the fleshing quicker. .. usually throw'em on a meat ant nest for a week before I boil em( I know I'm a lazy f@#ker!! :lol: ) but yours has come up a hell of a lot better!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

My 20m2 courtyard doesnt have too many meatants otherwise I would probably do the same, screwing around with the head was the last thing I wanted to do after I got home exhausted from hauiling meat in the hills all day.
Plus cleaning the ute, gear, guns etc, I need another weekend to recover!
Bigjobss

Post by Blackened » 27 Dec 2017, 3:59 pm

Looks excellent :thumbsup:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Coastie » 28 Dec 2017, 8:41 am

I recently left mine strapped to the base of a tree (so fox's and dogs could not run off with it.). Came back 2 weeks later and all the flesh/skin etc was gone.
Then i didn't have anything to boil it in, so i stuck it in a plastic bucket with a mix of bleach and napisan until it turned out how i wanted it to look, then placed in the sun to dry. Looks good and easy process.
Coastie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by winton » 04 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

Bigjobss
What time of the year did you bag that stag?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Jan 2018, 1:13 pm

Blackened wrote:Looks excellent :thumbsup:

:drinks:

winton wrote:Bigjobss
What time of the year did you bag that stag?

December 8th
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4843&start=468
Bigjobss

Post by mchughcb » 07 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

I used the peroxide you can buy from woollies. It comes in a little bottle and it will make everything white, but not powdery when dry. Get all the meat off the bottom of the pedicles then wrap them in plastic so the peroxide doesn't bleach the antlers. Rather than blasting with a high pressure car wash If you boil then pull off the meat you should be pretty good. The brain will boil and shrink. Use enough detergent for the oil. You should be able to pull it out with a set of long nose pliers through the base of the skull without having to saw it. I break the one at the base of the ear with a screw driver and you should be able to pull inner ear out. If necessary you can also use the long nose pliers to pull out the thin bones in the nasal cavity.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey