Hunting Buddy

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Buddy

Post by bronco93 » 11 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm

Hey everybody.

This is a long shot but I have been shooting paper at the range for couple years now. Wanting to get into hunting pests but none of my mates hunt and honestly have no clue and dont want to fork out $400 or so on Inland Hunting for me to go by myself. So if there is anybody in South East Queensland willing to teach a 24 year old. I'm in Fraser Coast.

Cheers
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Hunting Buddy

Post by marksman » 12 Dec 2017, 7:10 am

bronco93 wrote:Hey everybody.

This is a long shot but I have been shooting paper at the range for couple years now. Wanting to get into hunting pests but none of my mates hunt and honestly have no clue and dont want to fork out $400 or so on Inland Hunting for me to go by myself. So if there is anybody in South East Queensland willing to teach a 24 year old. I'm in Fraser Coast.

Cheers

it is a long shot but worth the try :thumbsup:
nobody at your range goes hunting :unknown:
good luck with it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Dec 2017, 8:53 am

I'm way too old and infirm to hunt with someone your age. Don't know anything about IH either. Hope something/someone turns up for you mate as I understand the need to get out there and get after 'em. Used to hunt pigs and rabbits. Best I can suggest is that you start by asking questions here if the club won't talk to you. Good luck :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 12 Dec 2017, 7:03 pm

Cheers for the replies. I'll just keep asking around and hopefully I will find somebody. :)
Last edited by bronco93 on 18 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Beanie308 » 05 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

Hi Bronco..I'm waiting on getting my gun licence..should be soon but would like to go hunting pigs around Meandarra/Tara. Used to hunt out there before you needed a licence..haven't been for 40 years :)
If you want to hang with an old fart let's chat.
Beanie308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Baron » 02 Feb 2018, 1:54 pm

Mate - have you tried the SSAA's Farmer Assist Program, well worth a try.
I'm in the Fraser Coast, my hunting partner and I go out a few times a year busting vermin on properties in Qld
220 Swift, 257 Roberts Ackley Improved, 30-06, 45-70
From Bunnies to Buff
Baron
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 02 Feb 2018, 10:06 pm

bronco93 wrote:Cheers for the replies. I'll just keep asking around and hopefully I will find somebody. :)

I hope you have better luck than me mate, ive asked around and havent found any in QLD.
I was lucky enough to find a really nice guy on here that let me go to his property in NSW, Had an ABSOLUTE BLAST plinking all weekend,
But no animals of any kind in sight.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 03 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by taffy4x4 » 03 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

Try this club www.ghaa.com.au
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Browning » 03 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

I tell ya what mate. Shoot me a message and ill keep you in mind.
Only prob is that I’m in Brisbane and most of the places we head are about 4 hrs west of Brissy.
If one of my usual crowd can’t make it, I’ll shoot ya a message.
I’m the opposite to you. I never go to the range and only go to big properties out west. Pigs, foxes, rabbits, cats and as many Roos as the owner has tickets. etc.
I tell ya right now, we’re pretty level headed and the farmers priorities come first. Been going to these places for years and I treat his farm like it was my own.
Don’t mean to make any pre-judgements, but if ya plan on getting drunk or bringing drugs; don’t bother.
I took a young fella out a while back and we were sitting in the wool shed and he asked if he could smoke some weed. 5 minutes later he was at the front gate.....
To be honest mate, we’re culling from sunup to sundown and usually only have a few beers with the farmer each night....
Won’t make any promises but if I’ve got a number, I’ll keep ya in mind. Maybe have a yarn on the phone first.
Cheers
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rikta » 03 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm

feel bad for some young blokes trying to get into it here in aus, i for one know that its hard to take newbies out cos kinda gotta worry about everything they do... but some a good some arent... i was blessed to grow up in an area where hunting was a plenty both north and south of my state so have plenty of places to get into it... but some arent so lucky, and that is unfortunate.

best advice I can give is maybe get to know a few ppl, offer to hold the spotty on a few night shoots, then once people get to know/trust ya you should be good to go.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Browning » 03 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

Rikta wrote:feel bad for some young blokes trying to get into it here in aus, i for one know that its hard to take newbies out cos kinda gotta worry about everything they do... but some a good some arent... i was blessed to grow up in an area where hunting was a plenty both north and south of my state so have plenty of places to get into it... but some arent so lucky, and that is unfortunate.

best advice I can give is maybe get to know a few ppl, offer to hold the spotty on a few night shoots, then once people get to know/trust ya you should be good to go.

That’s just it mate. As I’ve said, ive taken blokes out Shooting who are trying to get into it, and I’ve been burnt before...... You try not to tar everyone with the same brush but I have a great rapport with owners of the places I go, and it’s one I don’t want to ruin.......
They have enough probs out there with bloody thieves and poachers as it is, so I usually need to meet someone in person before I’ll take them on a shoot, little line to someone else’s property.
Not being a prick; just how it is.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dingo » 04 Feb 2018, 12:20 am

Have you got access to property ? That is normally the biggest issue - I was stuck so went and got my nsw R licence haven't used it yet but will be going out in April !
styer 223 & 308 & a lack of $$$
Dingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Browning » 04 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

I’m very fortunate. Between my mates and I, we have access to about half a dozen properties in close vicinity. Each is around the 12-15k acres.
You just have to get onto one and then you’ll be right.
I know it’s a cliche, but do the right thing by them and they will by you.
We’ve done plumbing jobs, saved cattle, saved a foal once that was stuck in a fence, helped put floor boards down in his house, built dongers and plumbed them in...... List goes on mate....
We always take a gift out like a really nice bottle of wine or rum (not just Bundy, something different) and always spend a few hours chatting and leaving the place cleaner than we found it....
The owner even rings me up these days and asks if I can come out. Maybe to look after the place while they are away, help with a job or bring something out from the city.
He’s a deadset champ, the owner, and my mates and I are very lucky to be in the situation we are.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Feb 2018, 10:31 am

FWIW, here's my WACG, Browning. I know you don't go to the range but a day at Belmont or where ever, with the intended "recruit" might show you what sort of bloke he is :) saving you a bit of trouble?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Dingo » 04 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

I'm in a similar situation I have property to hunt on in tazzie but live in Brisbane .costs 2 much for a quick trip ...
styer 223 & 308 & a lack of $$$
Dingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Browning » 04 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW, here's my WACG, Browning. I know you don't go to the range but a day at Belmont or where ever, with the intended "recruit" might show you what sort of bloke he is :) saving you a bit of trouble?

OP is from Fraser Coast. If he’s ever in Brisbane, I’m sure we can work something out
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 07 Feb 2018, 11:35 am

Cheers guys. Ive pm'd Browning.
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Browning » 07 Feb 2018, 10:55 pm

Check inbox
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 11 Feb 2018, 6:36 pm

Rikta wrote:feel bad for some young blokes trying to get into it here in aus, i for one know that its hard to take newbies out cos kinda gotta worry about everything they do... but some a good some arent... i was blessed to grow up in an area where hunting was a plenty both north and south of my state so have plenty of places to get into it... but some arent so lucky, and that is unfortunate.

Ha Rikta where abouts you based in WA? Also you looking for a hunting buddy as I dont get out as much as Id like as I basicaly only have 2 propertiesto hunt in my local area and all the rest are a 10 hour round trip away.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey