Hunting Clubs in SA? And more questions

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Clubs in SA? And more questions

Post by MetalPigeon » 31 Dec 2017, 5:04 am

So i've decided that i'm going to get into varmint hunting with air rifles, it's a hobby i've been eyeing for a while. However i'm yet to even fill out the application form because i have a few questions that i'm hoping someone can help out with.

I need some form of justification for getting a licence, for a hunting firearms licence the easiest form of justification for me would be written permission to hunt on someones land or proof of membership with a hunting club. Now the only time i've ever shot a rifle of any sort was at one of those booths at the royal Adelaide show so i would like some way (beyond the mandatory training course) to learn to shoot well. Would a hunting club have some sort of range like that somewhere? If so are there any clubs in Adelaide? I would apply for the "Shooting club" or "Target shooting" categories and join a target shooting club but it seems like the mandatory attendance would be a hassle. I have no clue what the difference between the target shooting and shooting club categories are, wouldn't you need to join a shooting club to do target shooting? Also at the very top of the application form there's a "Nominee Licence No. (firearms only)" and "Licence / Permit No. (firearms use only)" what do they mean?

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid, this area is completely new to me and this all seems a little over complicated.

Thanks for any help

P.S. not sure if this post is in the right category on the forum.
MetalPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Hunting Clubs in SA? And more questions

Post by Stix » 31 Dec 2017, 11:20 am

Get a SA hunting permit firstly.

SSAASA have C&WM--google that...
Thats the only "hunting club" i know of...but you have to join both ssaasa & c&wm.

You dont need to join a club to have "target shooting" on your license--you can shoot targets on a farm.

If you intend buying lots of guns, joining clubs will give you more valid reasons to own more guns of varied types.

If you just want to 'varmint shoot' ferals at 70yds with an air rifle, just get hunting permit & f/a license...

Best way is to join a club...they can help get you sorted for licence.

Running out of time for further explanation now...
Hope that helps...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 31 Dec 2017, 12:46 pm

when you go for your licence always put hunting down plus whatever else, if you don't you will have to apply for hunting to be put on before you can hunt, don't think there's mandatory attendance for target,,maybe handgun(10 shoots per year per caliber?) watch youtube and read a few books about how to shoot/sight in/set up ect ect that will give you a start on how to shoot,ask questions when your at the range,no shortage of people willing to help and just time plinking,,learn by doing type of thing :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by MetalPigeon » 31 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

Stix wrote:Get a SA hunting permit firstly.

SSAASA have C&WM--google that...
Thats the only "hunting club" i know of...but you have to join both ssaasa & c&wm.

You dont need to join a club to have "target shooting" on your license--you can shoot targets on a farm.

If you intend buying lots of guns, joining clubs will give you more valid reasons to own more guns of varied types.

If you just want to 'varmint shoot' ferals at 70yds with an air rifle, just get hunting permit & f/a license...

Best way is to join a club...they can help get you sorted for licence.

Running out of time for further explanation now...
Hope that helps...

This helps a lot, thanks. I guess i'll drive down there soon.

Shooting targets on a farm doesn't require me to fill out the target shooting category on the licence does it?
MetalPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 31 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm

Tick the hunting and target box. Club use is exactly that, shooting at a recognised club. For occasional shooting at one of the SSAA ranges, you don't need it. If you want to shoot regularly at a club, you can add that option later on.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 12:58 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Tick the hunting and target box. Club use is exactly that, shooting at a recognised club. For occasional shooting at one of the SSAA ranges, you don't need it. If you want to shoot regularly at a club, you can add that option later on.

Be aware it will cost you to alter your f/a licence if you add other purpose of use or class, unless you change it when your licence is due.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

Don't waste a cent on a SA hunting permit, the firearms branch isn't the slightest bit interested in you having a hunting permit or not.

Simply tick the hunting, target shooting and club use boxes on your license application and submit the paperwork.

Fyi ... I've been shooting ferals for 20 years or more and have never had a hunting permit.
You don't actually need one in SA ...

From the Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources
https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/manag ... ng_Permits

"If you wish to hunt in South Australia you must have a basic Hunting Permit UNLESS you are:

destroying animals which are endangering human life
destroying animals (other than protected species) that are causing damage to crops, stock or other possessions on your land (your own or employer's property)
taking an animal under any other permit regulations."

If you are shooting on behalf of the landowner as an "agent" then you fit the bill for "destroying animals (other than protected species) that are causing damage to crops, stock or other possessions on your land (your own or employer's property)"

Due to the fact that it's the landowners responsibly to control pests on their property, the act of shooting pests in it's self is an economic loss (other possessions) and it's still relevant even if they don't grow crops.

If getting a permit gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and you still feel the need to get one then wait untill you get your firearm, therefore you have the full time frame to use it before the expiry date.
Personally I refuse to shell out my hard earned money to a state government that won't allow hunting in it's parks and forests.

Anyhow ... your application will take some time to process and it can take 6 months or more from the time you walk into the Police station to apply for your FA license to when you receive your first permit to acquire.
Be patient and do plenty of homework on what air rifle you want / need. There's plenty of super accurate and very powerful air rifles out there.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 01 Jan 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 01 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

Firearms branch have never asked to see a written letter of access or a copy of my hunting permit.

This is the link to the SA permit https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/manag ... ng_Permits

I'd be very, very careful assuming that because you have written permission that you are acting as an agent. My understanding is that you need to be the landowner, or be a genuine employee of the landowner, in order to not need a permit. I'd suggest you check with DEWNR before foregoing a permit. If you don't need one that's great, dollars saved for you to spend on other stuff. If you do need one and you don't have one, that's playing with fire.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 9:12 pm

Well well OOW...of all the things i never knew, i never knew that the most...!
Gees my ol'man has given the govt many decades of hinting permit fees for nothing then...as have i, & i suspect many thousands more folk...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Firearms branch have never asked to see a written letter of access or a copy of my hunting permit.

This is the link to the SA permit https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/manag ... ng_Permits

I'd be very, very careful assuming that because you have written permission that you are acting as an agent. My understanding is that you need to be the landowner, or be a genuine employee of the landowner, in order to not need a permit. I'd suggest you check with DEWNR before foregoing a permit. If you don't need one that's great, dollars saved for you to spend on other stuff. If you do need one and you don't have one, that's playing with fire.

I'm not making any assumptions ... that's all fact.

As an agent you are working under the same grounds as an employee.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 01 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 9:17 pm

I just read that link oow, & i read it as saying i do need a permit unless i either own the property or am employed by the owner...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

Stix wrote:I just read that link oow, & i read it as saying i do need a permit unless i either own the property or am employed by the owner...

And that's exactly what they want you to think. :thumbsup:

Hears the accual Regulations
https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/ ... 02011.aspx
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 9:30 pm

Hey oow...where does it mention about being an "agent" & define it...?

I read the regs on that link & it too says nothing...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 9:32 pm

Ok...we're overlapping each other here...

I didnt see anything in the regs...but i didnt open the historical ones...
Ill have a look now...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MetalPigeon » 02 Jan 2018, 3:38 am

I'm just gonna get a hunting licence, being an employee means there's some sort of exchange of work for money. if i'm just doing it as a hobby i won't be taking any payment from landowners so not applying for a hunting licence would be "playing with fire".

So from what most of you guys are saying i should tick hunting and target shooting with landowner permission and a club membership as justification?

i do have some worries about that, i don't see any trouble getting the club membership or the permission but everything i've read leads me to believe that target clubs require you to attend at regular intervals.

I'm mostly worried because i've done archery target shooting and it's boring in the extreme, even 3D shooting (if you know what that is) was vastly more interesting. i'm only really interested in hunting and target shooting is a means to an end in that sense because if i can't hit a target i'll have a hard time hitting a rabbit in the right spot consistently.

Essentially if i eventually get the air rifle i'll use it lets say 5 times (probably more though) on targets to set it up, get used to it, find out what pellets work best, whatever people do to get the best results out of a gun. After that i'll likely never need to use it on a range again and if i'm legally bound to attend a shooting club once a week or month i can see it being a massive pain in the ass. Shooting clubs seem highly focused around competition as well, if it where anything else i'd be up to try some competition but i just want this hobby to be a relaxed Saturday morning helping control Australias pest population kind of thing.

Maybe if someone knows if one of these target clubs in or around Adelaide is a place i could go to just shoot a target and chat with people, maybe get advice when i inevitably need it. Or if this conservation and wildlife management place has a range and would be valid justification for the hunting category. i'll go down when i get the time anyway i'd just like to know about some of this stuff so i at least know what questions to ask.
MetalPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Jan 2018, 9:01 am

If you want to shoot at a club you need to tick club use as well.

As far as im aware if you're a member of a club, you "should" attend the club 4 times/year...but i know of plenty of guys that dont.
Even so, four ssturdays a year doesnt kill you...& its good to catch up with people anyway.

Consrvtn & Wildlife shoot at Monarto complex & are pretty casual...
There is another 2 clubs up there that are relaxed that i know of (shoot what you want/no comps), & one of them is dirt cheap to join.

You would really be best served ringing those or other clubs & chat to them...they can assist with some queries...

PM me if your real keen & ill give you more info & dates to attend.
But remember--any ssaa club means you need to join them AS WELL as any of their affiliated clubs...means more $$ outlayed...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 02 Jan 2018, 9:56 am

I dont know the rules for SA but in Vic. And we are talking rifles here but any license holder can shoot at a rifle range and be a member of a club and not have target shooting as a reason. The only reason to have target shooting as a reason is if it is your only way you can justify having a license.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 02 Jan 2018, 10:05 am

Fair enough sungazer...
But as the op is appying for a new licence, i see no sense in not tikking (ive spelt 'tikka' too many times lately :lol: ) the target shooting box--after all, how many of us shooters dont shoot targets...!

Plus, there is target shooting on private property...

Get as many POU as you can for the money i say...!!!
Makes it easier to get more rifles in the long run...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Jan 2018, 1:03 pm

I think you need to be a financial member of a club to get "club use".

Screenshot_20180102-132004.png
Screenshot_20180102-132004.png (475.99 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

A quick call to firearms branch will set you straight. FWIW, in my experience they have always been quite good to deal with enquiries such as this
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 02 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm

I am pretty sure you are correct. The distinction between rifle and handgun I think in Vic and SA is that for rifle there is no mandatory attendance and / or competitions to record. Our club certainly does no reporting. So It is kind of as I said unless it is the only reason you can come up with its could be an extra expense not needed. The rifle clubs normally require you also join the State Rifle Association or other clubs require you to join the SSAA so it get expensive. To get that extra tick when you can go to a range not being a member either as a Visitor for free or pay an extra fee for not being a member.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey