Cleaning regimes, fouling shots and hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Cleaning regimes, fouling shots and hunting

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jan 2018, 12:54 pm

So, my Tikka T3 in 25-06 tends to throw the first shot from a clean barrel. For hunting, this is a PITA, as a fouling shot will spook everything that might otherwise not be aware of my presence. It's not unusual for me to only put one or two shots through the rifle if I've gone out looking for foxes How do people deal with this issue of wanting to store a clean rifle but not wanting to spook target animals with a fouling shot?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Cleaning regimes, fouling shots and hunting

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2018, 1:02 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:So, my Tikka T3 in 25-06 tends to throw the first shot from a clean barrel. For hunting, this is a PITA, as a fouling shot will spook everything that might otherwise not be aware of my presence. It's not unusual for me to only put one or two shots through the rifle if I've gone out looking for foxes How do people deal with this issue of wanting to store a clean rifle but not wanting to spook target animals with a fouling shot?

I don't clean the bore until accuracy drops off, and when I do clean it I shoot it to check zero and re-foul it.

Does that first shot always go to the same place or is it random?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jan 2018, 1:06 pm

I never bother with fouling shots, mind you I only hunt so generally not an issue. How far does the 1st shot go off POA?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 04 Jan 2018, 1:29 pm

A cold bore and clean rifle will always throw shots off, usually with enough range time and dope you can compensate for it, all about knowing your rifle which can take alot of time and $$$ ( ammo ), i use a shotgun now lol

If i have the opportunity to foul a barrel after a clean i will especially with my 308 as i generally don't blast a bunch of rounds with that

If i had my time again id begin a log of the rifle with everyshot since i took posession of it, both rifle details and personal/weather details, that data is extremely valuable
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm

The first shot can be a bit random, and I don't shoot that rifle enough to have mapped it and then be able to compensate for it.

First shot through a clean barrel yesterday, I clean missed an absolute sitter on a bunnie. I'm first to admit that it could well be me being a crap shot and all, but the second and third shot, at similar distances were smack on.

I certainly need to put more rounds through it but we all have a list of things to do.......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Jan 2018, 1:49 pm

My .22 mag is the same, the first shot on a clean barrel literally lands inches off target. After that first round, they group normally.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2018, 2:05 pm

AusTac wrote:If i had my time again id begin a log of the rifle with every shot since i took possession of it, both rifle details and personal/weather details, that data is extremely valuable

That's exactly what I do for every firearm I own.
Attachments
223 log.JPG
223 log.JPG (271.17 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

My .22 lr never gets a it's bore cleaned so that one isn't an issue.

The .243 feels smoother to shoot on a clean bore but it's poi is still almost bang on

My .223 however typically shoots low for the first 2 or 3 shots, beyond that its extremely consistent.
Over the chronograph my .223 is about 30 fps slower for those first few shots.

As for how I manage that in the field, I simply make sure that the first few roos I shoot are relatively close to ensure good placement orIf I'm caught out with a cold / clean barrel on a fox at an extended range I just aim a fraction higher or wait for a front on shot if they sit ... if it shoots low then atleast it's still a neck or chest.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 04 Jan 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jan 2018, 2:46 pm

YMMV I always clean my barrels, otherwise they rust. It is not a chance that I would ever take again :cry: To stop first shot fliers, I used Ballistol to oil the bore. This is not a long term anti-rust, oil. Clean/dry-out the chamber thoroughly, then push one tight patch through and see how it goes. You could check the bedding, otherwise you are stuck with mapping the flier as the others suggest.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

The first couple depending on rifle and how it is cleaned will normally shoot low about 1/2 to 1 MOA and approx 30-60 fps. To reduce this you can have a really clean bore and make sure that the bore is clean and dry before the first shot. Use something like Nulon carby cleaner. Its basically Metho and Acetone really good for cleaning the gun first up to get the carbon out. Also if the bore is clean and dry on the first shot the move in POI is less as the velocity change is less.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2018, 5:31 pm

Maybe come up with a lightish load using projectiles and powder that are no longer required or have minor damage. Less noisy and using up old stock.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

Nearly all smokeful rifles need a fouler mainly because of the prodigious amounts of soot. My 147 year old .50-70's first shot may not even be on the paper at 200 yards but the next ten will be in a 10" circle. My .46-65 Sharps is an exception and doesn't seem to need a fouler....or wiping out in long strings either. Neither does my .54 muzzle loader. For the life of me I cant remember what my smokeless machinery needs.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

You think thats bad with the flier on a clean barrel...sheesh i wish...!!!

My 7-08 hunting outfit throws the first shot on a COLD barrel...irrelevant of being clean or fouled.

While load testing many different combos, you can see the flier clocking around & getting further from the group as the powder charge increases...
So ive wasted hundreds of rounds finding a mild to medium proj/powder charge combo that throws that shot .75-1.0 moa high...
Pain in the effin ahhss i tell ya...!!!

But thats how i overcome it--found a load that is only elevation difference--dial first shot if only one shot at 250ish+, or hold under for first shot if many are needed.

So far im yet to have needed a first shot that has required bunny headshot @ 200+yds accuracy, as its mostly used for goats etc.

If i get the inclination one day ill give it a crack on a bunny with a cold barrel & see how i go...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Jan 2018, 7:19 pm

The bigger pain is the load i talk about in the above post is a light varmint tyoe proj...im still yet to try it with a heavy proj for the likes of bigger deer...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

Bent Arrow my Sako 85 in 22-250 done exactly the same always threw the first clean bore shot
0ne day I had no cci 200 primers so I used rem 91/2's and low and behold fixed the problem then I bought the 25-06
it also threw the first shot not far about 11/2'' so thinking that the rem's cured the 22-250's throwing first shot prank
I tried it in the 25-06 also and it fixed the problem also
I'm not saying it will cure your problem with your 25-06 but it is worth thinking about as it worked for me twice
I am running cci 250 in my new 7mm and it's shooting well so for laughs I tried some rem mag 91/2's and no good group
moved out to 1''-11/2'' same load same brass so it can make a difference

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jan 2018, 7:49 pm

Hmmmm, might have to try to map it........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by albat » 04 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

sungazer wrote:The first couple depending on rifle and how it is cleaned will normally shoot low about 1/2 to 1 MOA and approx 30-60 fps. To reduce this you can have a really clean bore and make sure that the bore is clean and dry before the first shot. Use something like Nulon carby cleaner. Its basically Metho and Acetone really good for cleaning the gun first up to get the carbon out. Also if the bore is clean and dry on the first shot the move in POI is less as the velocity change is less.

Ive been using neulons foaming cleaner for ages im impressed on how much soot in removes, first shot at the range on my tikka is within an inch of the others , if you have plenty of gun go body shot first up
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey