breeding deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

breeding deer

Post by pete1 » 05 Jan 2018, 4:34 pm

Ok bit out of the ordinary, but I'm thinking of breeding a couple of deer for meet.
And while I'd prefer to hunt them in the state forest, if i can breed them i can have a sustainable flow of Venison into the freezer.
Heres the catch i have a property i can't shoot on as bloke won't let me cause of how close his neighbours are (which is sensible), but deer come from the national park and eat his roses. He said if i can catch them i can take them.
As deer are a game species is it legal or is there a stupid law preventing this.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: breeding deer

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

pete1 wrote:Ok bit out of the ordinary, but I'm thinking of breeding a couple of deer for meet.
And while I'd prefer to hunt them in the state forest, if i can breed them i can have a sustainable flow of Venison into the freezer.
Heres the catch i have a property i can't shoot on as bloke won't let me cause of how close his neighbours are (which is sensible), but deer come from the national park and eat his roses. He said if i can catch them i can take them.
As deer are a game species is it legal or is there a stupid law preventing this.

I don't think deer are classed as pests or feral so I would think you can trap them and release them.
I'm sure I've heard of people trapping wild goats?
I'd be interested in some domestic deer myself I reckon, keep us updated.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jan 2018, 6:10 pm

Hi, Pete,
Live capture of deer in Victoria was happening in the 70s, mainly using darts. But don't hear of it now so I suspect a permit is required. Perhaps contact GMA.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 05 Jan 2018, 9:15 pm

you may be able to snare them? not sure if its legal or not but there are a lot of youtube videos on how to :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 05 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

I've heard of (and know) people keeping Sambar as pets. However, it's a a pet, not food. And they got them very young. Not sure how you'd go with an older animal. Potentially it could be in a lot of emotional distress to breed or even survive.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 06 Jan 2018, 6:53 am

juststarting wrote:I've heard of (and know) people keeping Sambar as pets. However, it's a a pet, not food. And they got them very young. Not sure how you'd go with an older animal. Potentially it could be in a lot of emotional distress to breed or even survive.

NZ in the eighties when the deer farming industry was kicking off and deer where worth a fortune they were shot with net guns from a helicopter then the catcher would jump out of the chopper to tie the deer up and sling it under the chopper and they would then fly out with the deer swinging under the chopper to a deer pen to release it. The deer not only survived they thrived. They are a lot more resilient than people think. Just surviving the boat trip to Australia way back then would have been more stressful.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 06 Jan 2018, 7:16 am

Good luck with that...
Not going to be easy!

Build a pen with very high sides a good circumference and a remote release/locking gate. Bait it for a good amout of time with prime deer tucker and set a trail cam on it. Establish that deer ate feeding and what times with cam. Set off remote release when deer are actively feeding. Have them all escape and kick you in the head while you try to load them for transport....
Piece of cake! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 06 Jan 2018, 7:44 am

I have heard that you should put caught wild deer into a dark room for a period before releasing them to calm them down :unknown:

having them in your paddock when the rut is on will bring others to you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Jan 2018, 8:47 am

bladeracer wrote:I don't think deer are classed as pests or feral so I would think you can trap them and release them.

Not feral listed but deer on private land are listed as 'unprotected'. You can even spotlight them legally, no problem. I believe this came into effect maybe close to 2 years ago now.

As for rules regarding catching, I don't think it would be an issue as long as it's a humane capture (e.g. obviously no spiked traps).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 06 Jan 2018, 10:26 am

Yeh guarantee it wont be easy, but life is full of challenges.

Idea is having a pen just like they trap the goats with, but higher fences. And in reality if you catch to many can just sell them for bit of cash.
But before i could even attempt to catch them I'd have to work out how big paddocks need to be to store them in and fix some fencing, before breading them.
other alternative is buy some and breed them.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Jan 2018, 11:15 am

There are plenty of people who went broke breeding deer. To contain them is hard. They are fence busters. Then believe it or not you have people that will come and shoot them. The farm next to me had a calf shot, skinned and meat taken. Theory is the shooter was after deer didn't get one so shot the calf went home and said he bagged one.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

Good luck with the Cage/pen type traps. The local council rangers have tried that over here but to date no luck; either the deer are smarter than the rangers or.....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2018, 6:21 pm

Hmmm...not something id be bothered trying...

You should do an apprenticeship with Bladeracer first--once you've learned to deal with his ninja cows that use ladders as nunchucks, you can move on to the taming of wild deer...

Mind you, you could end up a youtube video as played out by Gwion...! :lol:

All the best...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 08 Jan 2018, 6:36 pm

From what I've heard ya might want to ring ol Trump up and borrow his wall plan :lol: :lol:
Best of luck!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 08 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

When l was in Gipsland last (1915) there was a couple of newspaper articles about a farm kid who raised an orphan Sambar. He was served a destruction notice by the DPI. Reason was, deer are pest animals and cannot be kept as pets
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 9:42 pm

i think you can get exceptions if you set it up as a business and farm them, just like Rabbits.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 09 Jan 2018, 6:54 am

p3seven wrote:When l was in Gipsland last (1915) there was a couple of newspaper articles about a farm kid who raised an orphan Sambar. He was served a destruction notice by the DPI. Reason was, deer are pest animals and cannot be kept as pets

Just wanted to say for a 103+ year old ya looking good P3seven!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 09 Jan 2018, 9:41 pm

Daddybang wrote:
p3seven wrote:When l was in Gipsland last (1915) there was a couple of newspaper articles about a farm kid who raised an orphan Sambar. He was served a destruction notice by the DPI. Reason was, deer are pest animals and cannot be kept as pets

Just wanted to say for a 103+ year old ya looking good P3seven!!! :lol: :drinks:

Yeah, sorry, my typing finger automatically does that at times.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey