Game / Trail Cameras

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Game / Trail Cameras

Post by Jon79 » 08 Feb 2018, 6:00 pm

I have a Bushnell one here I had it set up in the yard because there was a heap of stuff getting knock off out of yards around here, problem no matter what I do with the settings or where I put it, it goes off every couple of minutes and drains the batteries in about 24-36hrs
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 08 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Is it going off day and night or just night?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2018, 6:10 pm

Sounds like the motion sensor is buggered. Can't you return it?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 08 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

sungazer wrote:Is it going off day and night or just night?

yeah seems to be more so at night
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 08 Feb 2018, 6:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sounds like the motion sensor is buggered. Can't you return it?

na been too long now, I just assumed for a long time I just needed to adjust the settings and would get around to it and when I did get around too it I found adjusting the setting made no difference
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 08 Feb 2018, 7:25 pm

If it is at night it is probably moths and other insects they show up very clearly as big white moving objects. I think they would be hard to adjust out. but I have no idea of what settings there are.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 08 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

[quote="Yes the animals can smell them. I have gotten many photos and videos off the cams of deer, bears, squirrels and other creatures licking and trying to eat the camera..[/quote]

Thats fantasic...mate you should post some of those pics...im sure there are more folk on here, (apart from myself), that would love to see them...especially pics of the bears...!!

I just cant imagine what it would be like to have a bear rummaging through your garbage at 3am in the morning...lol
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2018, 7:39 am

Jon79 wrote:I have a Bushnell one here I had it set up in the yard because there was a heap of stuff getting knock off out of yards around here, problem no matter what I do with the settings or where I put it, it goes off every couple of minutes and drains the batteries in about 24-36hrs

you might be able to change the sensitivity, also attach the camera to a solid source

yes the animals do smell the cameras
before I started to use a home made scent controller and a wipe over with a eucalyptus oily rag just before leaving it, the last thing to touch it, I got heaps of animals running away as soon as they scented the camera, now they will sniff it, but I only have it in vid and dont know how to post it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2018, 7:47 am

I started to use a home made scent controller

Sooooo, what's the recipe mate?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 09 Feb 2018, 8:41 am

Eggs for breakfast lunch and dinner.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2018, 5:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I started to use a home made scent controller

Sooooo, what's the recipe mate?

this www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy6ZdH88wY

before using this blocker I got vids of deer walking past then taking off like someone poked a finger up there ar$e
I wash my hands and shoes with it and have a clean rag that I have the eucalyptus oil on an give it a touch up before leaving
I will have deer in front of the camera that night but not ever before I did it
I know some people that dont use it and have good success without
maybe its the eggs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 10 Feb 2018, 2:13 am

MFDC3817.JPG
MFDC3817.JPG (420.29 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
Stix wrote:[quote="Yes the animals can smell them. I have gotten many photos and videos off the cams of deer, bears, squirrels and other creatures licking and trying to eat the camera..

Thats fantasic...mate you should post some of those pics...im sure there are more folk on here, (apart from myself), that would love to see them...especially pics of the bears...!!

I just cant imagine what it would be like to have a bear rummaging through your garbage at 3am in the morning...lol[/quote]

I usually delete the photos of the bears, deer and squirrel messing with the camera because all you usually end up seeing is a tongue and whiskers.

I have a different approach to the scent thing. Animals I find are creatures of habit and rather than thinking I can fool them or trick them I just let them get used to me being around and smelling my scent including on the trail cams. If anything it attracts them to the camera for a picture. A lot of times the deer come out and watch me shoot on my range.

You can't leave trash outside here, bears will get in it and human trash is like cocaine to them. Once they find a source you can't break them from it and they will go as far as breaking into cabins and houses to get it. The main problem time is spring when they wake from hibernation and the plants and berries have not started yet so they are hungry and tend to look around human habitation for food. Once into the summer they tend to move more into the forests, although I do see them in summer. Then in autumn you really have to watch again. The plants are dying off in autumn, cover is disappearing, cold is coming and they know the hunters are coming for them so they spazz out racing around looking for a place to hide and hibernate. Most of the time bears will leave you alone but if you run into them at the wrong time it's game on fight time. I had one bad run in a few years ago where two seconds of timing allowed my escape and had it not, I would have had to resort to my Glock 17 on me.

Below is a sampling of the animals I get on the cams behind my house. Turkeys, bears, coyotes, foxes, deer, etc.
Attachments
MFDC5233.JPG
MFDC5233.JPG (425.19 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
MFDC0375.JPG
MFDC0375.JPG (768.48 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
MFDC1221.JPG
MFDC1221.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 4586 times
MFDC4947.JPG
MFDC4947.JPG (434.13 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1