Game / Trail Cameras

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Game / Trail Cameras

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

So these are from $60 up to $200.
Who has been using them? Do they really help to shoot game or a bit of a gimic? And do you need an expensive one or will a cheaper one do the job? I will be using mine in SF so what's the odds it's gonna get nicked? Anything else I should consider?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Game / Trail Cameras

Post by juststarting » 14 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

No help frome OB, but as I was looking at the photos in a different thread, I thought it's time... I was simmering on the same thought for at least a year. Keen to see what people say.

In my case, I've been thinking about 4G capable camera that would send photos to a mobile via MMS or to email.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Jan 2018, 4:32 pm

I've got four, the cheapsr ones seem to get mixed reviews, same as everything in life, you get what you pay for and have to adjust your expectations accordingly. My cameras are closer to $400. In SF, there's a higher likelihood of them being nicked. They definitely help pattern game, I've been able to rule out wasting hunting time in unproductive areas and concentrate on more productive areas/times of day by using mine. I've also recorded things I didn't expect, including deer on a property where I was only expecting goats.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2018, 5:13 pm

Digital cameras and movement sensers are old technology. And we don't need pics good enough for the local newspaper/ agency. So I'm guessing the cheaper ones will do the job.

Do you have to plug them into a PC to download the pics?.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

Some have small viewing screens built in. Apart from that, yes you will need something to download the pics to. I run multiple SD cards, I swap them out in the field and look at the pics at home. I regularly get 4,000 pics on a single camera if I leave them out for 3 months
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

"4,000 pics "

Wow. Are many of use?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Jan 2018, 7:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"4,000 pics "

Wow. Are many of use?

Sometimes that's a no depending on how you look at it. I sat one on a remote waterhole thinking that it would have the best chance of picking up any big billies on the property. There were a couple of game trails coming in. I got lots and lots and lots and lots (you get the idea) of photos of kangaroos, emus, foxes and an array of birds including a wedge tailed eagle that came to the waterhole fairly regularly. Not a single goat. I don't bother walking to that hole anymore.

I picked up a dingo cross coming fairly regularly at one waterhole which allowed the landholder and I to nail the dog. He told his neighbour about it and guess what, I immediately got an invite to shoot on his neighbours property which is about 5 x the size.

Same on another property. The land owner was reluctant to give access so I suggested putting a couple of cameras out for a while just to see what is around. Several thousand photos of kangaroos, hundreds of foxes, some trespassers, and a couple of dozen photos of deer. I now.have access to hunt :-) as far as I'm concerned that camera payed for itself.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 14 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

[quote="Bent as far as I'm concerned that camera payed for itself.[/quote]

Indeed it has...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jan 2018, 5:44 pm

There is a big difference in not only quality but also trigger time and battery life. If you don't mind getting photos of nothing because of these two limitations then the $60 are great value for money. Otherwise I'd take a step up and buy the cheapest browning cameras of egay.

The next step up is a 3G camera which will send a email via SMTP on a gmail account. That means a Telstra prepaid $50 sim card will give 12 months of emails and thousands of photos.

https://youtu.be/Gp9MKxKPVr0

https://youtu.be/f6jx4SUFdJc
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm

This has inspired me to pull the trigger, so to speak, on a couple of cameras. Something that I've wanted to do for a while now :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 15 Jan 2018, 7:14 pm

My Aldi trail cam still has the original batteries in it, starting to run low now though, but they've been in there for 12 months now.
I use mine for fox monitoring to see if there are any in the area. Ill often throw a shot bunny in front of the camera to see what comes and gets it...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Jan 2018, 9:39 pm

YoungBuck wrote:My Aldi trail cam still has the original batteries in it, starting to run low now though, but they've been in there for 12 months now.
I use mine for fox monitoring to see if there are any in the area. Ill often throw a shot bunny in front of the camera to see what comes and gets it...

Yep, sticking a camera over a carcass is always worth while
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm

YoungBuck wrote:My Aldi trail cam still has the original batteries in it, starting to run low now though, but they've been in there for 12 months now.

If I recall you uploaded a pic about 6 months ago of a deer and the quality was ok. It that right?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 7:20 am

Sure did - viewtopic.php?p=115196#p115196
I have reduced the size of that image for the forum post.
The quality is plenty good for what you need. On the Aldi unit (about $100 from memory), you have the option for recording video, just still shots or both.
You can set the resolution of the recording/pics, how long it should record for/how many pics should be taken during a motion trigger and how long before the unit should wait before re-arming for motion again.
It holds an Micro SD card for pic storage. It's got a little display screen for viewing but I find its too small to be of any use so whenever I go to check the footage I bring my laptop and just insert the SD card straight in and view them on a bigger screen.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Jan 2018, 12:43 pm

Yep, I use 2, both could be described as in the lower price range.
1/ "Wildgame" brand I got from the U.S., 8mp., sensor range >60 feet., battery 8 AA about 1 year or 30,000 photos, uses SD card. Simple to use, press 1 button on/off takes JPEG images or AVI digital Video. by the time I paid bank charges, exchange rates, freight not much cheaper than a mid priced one (Aldi) here. No inbuilt viewing screen, SD card read through computer.
2/ "Maginon (ALDI) brand, WK 4HD. 5.0MP, Sensor range 20 battery 8AA, metres about 6 months, uses SD/SDHC & micro etc, password protected (4 numbers), pretty straightforward operation, takes JPEG images or AVI digital Video. Built in viewing screen.

Both work great,and new, prices range up to $600+ and come with all sorts of fancy stuff - Wi-Fi, etc, etc., so buy what you can afford and suits your needs and be prepared to have them borrowed from sites, cards stolen, smashed or shot to bits. I've also had traps "borrowed" too.
Do they spot game, YES! Do they help in locating and I.D. game, YES! I use mine for feral dogs, foxes and cats and are a big help. I'll set up 1 for stills & the other for video.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

Thanks YB & RJ that's very helpful.
I will shop around a bit. The areas I will be using them are State Forrest and I think they get a lot of trail riders and shooters so don't want to spend too much. Those pics from the Aldi look fine. So I think it's a winner.

How big an SD card are you blokes using?

BTW. YB, can you just pm me the location of the deer? :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

Regarding the aldi/maginon cameras

Do you get many pics where there is no game?

And are the night images reasonable?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by doc » 16 Jan 2018, 2:49 pm

How easily visible are these camera's to others?

My bank tells me to cover the pin pad when typing in my pin number. Do I need to cover my pecker now when taking a leak in a S.F back in among the bushes, or are they pretty obvious? :oops:
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Regarding the aldi/maginon cameras

Do you get many pics where there is no game?

And are the night images reasonable?

I find about a third of my images are from the surrounding vegetation moving from the wind but you cant really help that except trying not to place it in front of flimsy bushes. Then the majority of the rest is usually other things that aren't game - wallabies and roos, birds, etc. Usually the amount of images you are after will only be less that 5% of the shots taken.

The night shots are pretty good, they are in infrared if that wasn't already obvious. When i get home I will have a look and see if I have any night vision shots and I'll upload some (my camera is currently setup at my shooting property).

doc wrote:How easily visible are these camera's to others?

My bank tells me to cover the pin pad when typing in my pin number. Do I need to cover my pecker now when taking a leak in a S.F back in among the bushes, or are they pretty obvious? :oops:

I've never had a problem with vandalism or theft. Just don't set it up next to a road or along a common animal path (where walkers or other hunters are likely to walk along) and you will be fine.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 4:09 pm

Here are a couple of night shots that I have.
edit: looking at the date of that second image, I've definitely had those batteries in longer than 12 months :shock:
Attachments
IMAG0429.JPG
IMAG0429.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6782 times
IMAG0009.JPG
IMAG0009.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 6782 times
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:15 pm

Great pics YB.
I really want to shoot that pussy.

That's the camera for me. Price is good pics are fine.

Thanks for your help.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Jan 2018, 8:21 pm

Hi Oldbloke, Mine will take up to 32Gb, but I only use 8 or 16GB but depends on how long the cameras are on station.

.Yes at some sites there are a few ( sometimes bloody heaps) of images with nothing in view - Wind! I've found that the cameras are quiet sensitive and the wind plays up merry hell.

Trigger time is around 0.5sec. and daytime photos are colour, night, B&W.

Visibility - I try not to mound mine at eye level and not in a obvisious position.

Images are good - nighttime, closer to the camera usually the better but watch flash bounce, get away from the camera files get a bit grainy. Daylight, no worries, no flash. Also, I'm surprised how sensitive the mic is, picks up sounds out to the side and behind bushes etc.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

Put them low or high, definitely not at a eye height. In high traffic areas where discovery and subsequent theft is a concern, don't use a strap that goes around the tree, that strap makes the cameras very easy to spot. I've made some plates and I Tek screw mine to the tree. Makes them harder to steal than just undoing a webb strap and walking off with it
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 9:13 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I've made some plates and I Tek screw mine to the tree. Makes them harder to steal than just undoing a webb strap and walking off with it

What a top idea.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jan 2018, 2:51 am

I have 3 on my property and I am very glad I have them. You see a lot of stuff going on that you wouldn't see otherwise and you'll find where and when things are going on. Humans and game tend to be fairly predictable so once you lock down where they travel you will figure out where to install the cameras and there will be trial and error involved.

In terms of theft I find most people have their head up their bum so even with cameras that are visible to me, I've had trespassers walk past them and not notice them. I would say though the strap around the tree makes them more visible though. Obviously if you put them on public land you better secure them.

I basically use SD cards and swap them out. Also I have had better success with lithium batteries for longevity.

Another thing is don't waste your time, cut back any vegetation that would flop in front of the camera otherwise you'll have a thousand pictures of weeds and branches.

This is an example of what I pick up on my cams, the big bear, that camera is in my front yard next to the driveway.
Attachments
MFDC0096.JPG
MFDC0096.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6762 times
MFDC3493.JPG
MFDC3493.JPG (455.31 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 9:11 am

juststarting wrote:
In my case, I've been thinking about 4G capable camera that would send photos to a mobile via MMS or to email.

I think that is the go!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 17 Jan 2018, 11:48 am

The only thing with the sms cameras is that you have to have mobile reception the State forests are often places with no reception. I have no reception in my backyard and have to stand in one place in the front of the house to get reception.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 11:49 am

Good point.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 17 Jan 2018, 4:19 pm

Re signal. I've considered that and areas I am in generally have Telstra coverage. Those cameras also have external antennas that should make things better.

I could talk about it, but what's the point. Ordered X 2. See how we go.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 4:28 pm

juststarting wrote:Re signal. I've considered that and areas I am in generally have Telstra coverage. Those cameras also have external antennas that should make things better.

I could talk about it, but what's the point. Ordered X 2. See how we go.

Cost?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey