Who would pull the trigger on this.....

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Who would pull the trigger on this.....

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

I was down at Simpson for my annual pilgramidge on the foxes, and came across this big fella....

https://i.imgur.com/ItwhYpx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3vzNCbG.jpg

Now the reason i ask who would pull the trigger on him is simple....i headed out early in the morning to see if i could whistle a critter up for a bit of daylight action, and this big critter was out wandering about....When i got down there the cocky said to me if i see any deer in my travels....DONT SHOOT THEM, as i like seeing them about....no worries i said........I have been going to this property for some 35 years, and the cocky only lets me on, and even though i am a deer hunter also, i was stuffed if i was going to break the trust of the cocky for the sake of the stag...and a damn good one at that....So i settled for taking some pics through the scope and let him be....If the circumstances had of been different, he would have been on the deck....Thems the breaks.......I will be back there on the foxes this year again......
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Who would pull the trigger on this.....

Post by AusTac » 22 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

I dunno what a cocky is but you did the right thing :) nothing worse than breaking the trust of someone who's nice enough to let you on their property
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 8:19 pm

AusTac wrote:I dunno what a cocky is but you did the right thing :) nothing worse than breaking the trust of someone who's nice enough to let you on their property

Sorry mate...a cocky is slang for farmer.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 8:58 pm

brinny wrote:I was down at Simpson for my annual pilgramidge on the foxes, and came across this big fella....

Now the reason i ask who would pull the trigger on him is simple....i headed out early in the morning to see if i could whistle a critter up for a bit of daylight action, and this big critter was out wandering about....When i got down there the cocky said to me if i see any deer in my travels....DONT SHOOT THEM, as i like seeing them about....no worries i said........I have been going to this property for some 35 years, and the cocky only lets me on, and even though i am a deer hunter also, i was stuffed if i was going to break the trust of the cocky for the sake of the stag...and a damn good one at that....So i settled for taking some pics through the scope and let him be....If the circumstances had of been different, he would have been on the deck....Thems the breaks.......I will be back there on the foxes this year again......

your a good bloke brinny :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
I've had to do the same on sambar close to wombat
Last edited by marksman on 22 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm

Yeah. Austac is a young bloke. "lol"
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jan 2018, 9:07 pm

brinny wrote:I was down at Simpson for my annual pilgramidge on the foxes, and came across this big fella....

To bust the relationship with a land owner who lets you have sole shooting access? There could have been a fox riding on the stag and I'd have let it be.

Oldbloke wrote:Yeah. Austac is a young bloke. "lol"

I figured he was talking about the land owner, that wasn't hard to work out. Though to be honest, I haven't heard of that term for a farmer either and I grew up in the bloody country!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2018, 9:10 pm

Exactly the right way of doing things mate :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

What Brett said.
Then go home and :cry: In my beer.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 22 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm

Aren't they in velvet atm?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm

Yes, I think so.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2018, 10:20 pm

Hi brinny...
If you'd have done anything else it would have been wrong...!!!

Its so important to respect the landowners...!!!
Even if you inadvertantly make the wrong call...
I cull foxes for a dairy farmer & he doesnt want the cats shot as they keep the mice down around the dairy...
One night i was spotlighting on foot around a scrub block nearly a km from the dairy & i followed a feral cat for 10 mins, i rekon i took up tension on the trigger atleast 5 times, finally deciding to not shoot the cat--even though the farmer would never know...

I told the farmer the story next morning of forcing myself to let this feral cat live--i couldnt believe it when he said i should have shot the effin thing if it was that far from the dairy...!!!
We both had a laugh, & from then on i had free access to both his properties...i also have permission to bowl over any cat further than 500m from the dairy...!

Its the trigger happy people who DONT respect the landowners & cannot refrain from a kill on a lean/ non eventful hunt, that make it hard for us good guys...!!!
Good on you...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 23 Jan 2018, 12:12 am

No Same as you , if your asked not to you don,t
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rikta » 23 Jan 2018, 12:38 am

AusTac wrote:I dunno what a cocky is but you did the right thing :) nothing worse than breaking the trust of someone who's nice enough to let you on their property

Cant be aussie.... simply astounding
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brinny » 23 Jan 2018, 3:28 am

Tripod wrote:Aren't they in velvet atm?

They sure are mate.....I should have said that the pics and my trip was in July last year....Yet to go there this year....Trying to get there a bit earlier this year, but will see what happens...
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 23 Jan 2018, 3:47 am

Yeah...cheers fellas....definitely the right thing done....
It was even interesting how i was even able to gain access to his property in the first place....

I just happen to be doing the rounds door knocking farmers properties, and i called into his.....I got a resounding "no" before i even finished asking....with that i thanked him for his time, said goodbye and turned to leave....I had half a dozen of my den dogs in my dog crate.....who were going off their nut at the cockys kelpie....He asked as i was leaving what were the dogs in the back off my truck....I told him JR den dogs....He looked in the crate and asked how such a little dog could hunt foxes....told him they went down the dens and chased the foxes out....He sort of had that look of disbelief on his face and asked if i was joking.....i said no....he said he had never seen such a thing, so i said well, i will show you if you are interested and have any dens close by.....To my suprise he said he would love to have a look at that, and said there was a den on one of his dam banks in the next paddock....so down we went, and sure enough there was a den with a great big pile of fresh dirt dug out.....told the cocky where to stand out of the way....let a dog out, straight in and bingo....Dog was in there roaring for around 5 minute when one bolted....BANG....dog was still in there barking...signalled to the farmer there was another one in there.....about ten minutes later it came out too....BANG....dog was hot on its heals and started scruffing the dead fox.....Cocky came up and said that it was one of the most amazing things he had ever seen....with that i said im glad he enjoyed the experience and i had better get going as i was looking for new properties to hunt on....Next thing i knew, i was like the cockys best mate....told me i can hunt his place, (he has 1600 acres) told me where he had seen dens, told me where the log piles were, and i was welcome anytime...BUT...i got a fairly good lecture on the do`s and dont`s of what to do and what not to do...and if i put a foot out of line...its F##K OFF big time....35 years later im still there...thats why the stag is too....I have ALWAYS done the right thing
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2018, 6:14 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yeah. Austac is a young bloke. "lol"

They've probably not heard of Cocky's Joy either :lol:

Good work Brinny! :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2018, 9:15 am

Rikta wrote:

Cant be aussie.... simply astounding

Thats what i was thinking...& YB too...

YoungBuck wrote:Though to be honest, I haven't heard of that term for a farmer either and I grew up in the bloody country!

Good ol aussie slang not being passed down...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sawyers » 23 Jan 2018, 9:01 pm

Stix wrote:Hi brinny...
If you'd have done anything else it would have been wrong...!!!

Its so important to respect the landowners...!!!
Even if you inadvertantly make the wrong call...
I cull foxes for a dairy farmer & he doesnt want the cats shot as they keep the mice down around the dairy...
One night i was spotlighting on foot around a scrub block nearly a km from the dairy & i followed a feral cat for 10 mins, i rekon i took up tension on the trigger atleast 5 times, finally deciding to not shoot the cat--even though the farmer would never know...

I told the farmer the story next morning of forcing myself to let this feral cat live--i couldnt believe it when he said i should have shot the effin thing if it was that far from the dairy...!!!
We both had a laugh, & from then on i had free access to both his properties...i also have permission to bowl over any cat further than 500m from the dairy...!

Its the trigger happy people who DONT respect the landowners & cannot refrain from a kill on a lean/ non eventful hunt, that make it hard for us good guys...!!!
Good on you...!

I nearly shot our cat about 3 weeks ago, the little ****** was about 300m from our house, I only pulled up because I seen a flash white and realised it was ours
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Corn » 24 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

Sawyers wrote:I nearly shot our cat about 3 weeks ago, the little ****** was about 300m from our house, I only pulled up because I seen a flash white and realised it was ours

I cannot imagine how hard it would be trying to explain that to the wife & kids (assuming there is a wife & kid(s))
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 24 Jan 2018, 3:53 pm

Corn wrote:
Sawyers wrote:I nearly shot our cat about 3 weeks ago, the little ****** was about 300m from our house, I only pulled up because I seen a flash white and realised it was ours

I cannot imagine how hard it would be trying to explain that to the wife & kids (assuming there is a wife & kid(s))

Sorry kids but soxy ran away!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Milesy » 24 Jan 2018, 8:02 pm

Brinny you are simply showing respect to the man whom trusted you to do the right thing.
Simple but sadly not as common a trait Now days.
Spent a stack of school holiday time as a kid on our cousins dairy farm. Cow Cocky means one man/woman dairy farmer.
Cheers Milesy
Ruger American 223 Stainless
WW Greener Martini Action 12g
Ruger American 22lr Blued
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Tikka T3X 308 Win SS Lite
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm

Gees...ya gotta be careful...!!!

I used to spotlight on a farm where my g/friend at the time knew the farmers well...
Id always start & finish around the farm sheds with a .22lr with subs & a can as there was a small piggery that attracted all sorts of vermin.

One night i started by knocking over a bluey/grey cat hiding in an old shed clad in old timber pailings.

Went about the night normally from then on, removing the said cat & hurling it out in one of the many over grown dried up creek beds running through the property.

Upon return to g/f's house, she asked how we went...3 foxes, half dozen bunnies & a cat in a farm shed...

Her face turned pale & sickly as she went on to inform me that the farmers sons fiancé had bought her man an $1800 russian blue & she had forgotten to tell me... :shock:

Well neither of us shooters knew what a russian blue was let alone looked like...& this was before the days of internet so a quick look on google was out of the question.
I made the girlfriend come to look for it with us as she had been given express instructions from the farmer for me to obviously NOT shoot the new addition to the farm...we finally found the cat i shot at around 4am...

Not sure if the relief or anger was more when we finally found the cat & the girlfriend said it was NOT the russian blue...!!!
We all had a laugh the next day, & the farmers son wished the cat had been shot--he hated it...!!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 27 Jan 2018, 8:45 am

i would show the farmer the pictures at least, then talk about how good they taste ;) and then mention that if he wants and if you see one, you can get one to share the meat with him :thumbsup:

always thought cockys joy was rain, how wrong i was, the shame,the shame :oops: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey