Scent Control

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Scent Control

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

So, as it says. What do you blokes do to control your scent when hunting? Apart from walking into the wind.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Scent Control

Post by marksman » 11 Feb 2018, 9:10 am

I do the home made scent control on my hands, face and feet
as well as shower only using unscented soap, no underarm spray or after shave
wash my clothes in a bucket of hot water and baking soda, eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil scent on my camo that lives in the bucket with a tight lid
and only comes out when I am going to hunt, never wear it when driving the car or standing around a camp fire or car exhausts
I dont hang around people who are smoking or drinking alcohol, I dont eat smelly foods till after shooting a deer
I still keep the wind in my face and try to blend into the area
I do not think that scent control blocks your smell completely making you have no smell
I recon it covers your scent and if the deer I am after have scented me without doing it run off fast
but with it will stand there looking straight at me trying to figure out what I am

what I like to do anyway :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2018, 10:30 am

Wow, your right into it. I wash and store my gear with baking soda but that's about it. I'm sure it's made a difference. Looks like I'm buying some hydrogen peroxide.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 11 Feb 2018, 10:37 am

Do you want long blonde hair?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2018, 10:46 am

:lol: when I got married I had shoulder length blonde hair.

The recipee for the spray.

https://community.deergear.com/tips/d-i ... r-hunters/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

yea I am right into it
I got sick and tired of being scented in swirley winds
as I said it does not IMO stop you from smelling but does cover your scent that they see as danger

I do know a couple of guys who dont do what I do at all, even smoke while walking and that do ok but they do not get the amount I do
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Feb 2018, 11:01 am

I'm not quite as strict with it as marksman but I do follow most of the principles he has laid out. Hunting gear washed separately, only worn for hunting, only use plain soap and no deodorant when hunting. In swirling winds taking a lot of care with scent control is likely to make a difference. However if you don't have the basics of hunting down pat, scent control is a total waste of time and effort
Last edited by Bent Arrow on 11 Feb 2018, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2018, 11:01 am

marksman wrote:yea I am right into it
I got sick and tired of being scented in swirley winds
as I said it does not IMO stop you from smelling but does cover your scent that they see as danger

I do know a couple of guys who dont do what I do at all, even smoke while walking and that do ok but they do not get the amount I do

Yeah, I've had a lousy run lately, hunting wise. And I just realised I've been slack and not replaced the baking soda in my clothes box for ages. Time to review everything.

Edit; Marksman, is that the same recipe that you use. 50/50 water & hydrogen peroxide ± baking soda?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 11 Feb 2018, 11:34 am

So no one is rubbing sh@t into their groins neck and armpits??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 11 Feb 2018, 11:37 am

I smoke and stand in front of a fire and eat tuna with beans. I also take a leak wherever I want to. And came within rock throwing distance of Sambar quite a few times.

Thing is, it's all bulls**t, just hunting outfitters trying to make a buck. And anyone who wants to argue this, I simply ask for demonstrable proof. There's an entire (gimmick) market around scent control. If it worked, all deer, everywhere would have been shot by now. The only thing that could possibly work is doe urine, when doe is in season.

I hunt with guys, who literally hunt every day. And they do alright. And don't bother with any of this. Smoke, clothing goes in a washing machine with everything, stand in front of a fire, etc.

Again, all bulls**t. Deer is used to car exhaust fumes. Deer is used to human smell, because it gets blown in from farms and towns.

Deer is not used to seeing humans or hearing unexpected noises. Like any wild animal.

I don't however use deodorant and I do take a shower in the morning, no soap. Cammo gear just sits in the sun for an hour before I go.

Stay quiet. Move slowly with purpose. Blend in and hide shiny sweaty skin. Walk into the wind. They are not magic...

I've even seen a few just strall past me, 50m maybe, completely unaware, as I was just sitting there having a smoke, as long as the winds is good - I'm good. I think.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm

When I gave smoking away, I think I started seeing more game.

It depends on a lot of things but the more heavily hunted the more important it is. IMO.

Also wind moves around a lot. Usually not constant and that's the issue.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Also wind moves around a lot. Usually not constant and that's the issue.

This is like 99% of my 'angries'. Everything going really well, suddenly, boom, you're walking with wind in your back. I generally try to climb, if it's in the morning, when this happens; or drop down and start throwing sticks into blackberries, hoping something sprints out of the bushes. Happened a couple of times, but I wasn't quick enough to take a shot. The most upsetting thing was when this happened and I wasn't fast enough... And minute later I hear bang in another gully. Passed hunters on the way up (in the car) and they were dropping down over into another gully. So I recon it came off me and crushed straight into them. Grrrrrr. Luck of the draw.

In the evening, not much I can do, so either sit on a spot if the wind is not working with me or just press ahead (usually, just press ahead, enjoy the bush walk).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2018, 6:37 pm

IMO the main reason for having some scent control is because the wind is so F/@)&#king unpredictable. It just helps.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Feb 2018, 6:54 am

the recipe I use for scent blocker is exactly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy6ZdH88wY :thumbsup:

Daddybang, its funny you talk about sh!t to cover scent, it is a ritual of mine to stand in cow s**t to scent my runners with it :lol: :lol: :lol:

and juststarting, seriously you would do better if you did a bit of scent control, even if you just stopped the tuna/beans combo and smoking :thumbsup:
the guys I talked about earlier that do ok hunting deer but do not do what I do are very good hunters but they recon I'm a tinar$e because I shoot heaps more than them, I got sick and tired of watching deer ar$es running away from me after they sprung my scent and only getting one every now and then
I've also proven it by using it on trail cameras and seeing the difference it made to how the deer react to smells on the cameras
just saying :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Feb 2018, 7:31 am

marksman wrote:the recipe I use for scent blocker is exactly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy6ZdH88wY :thumbsup:

Daddybang, its funny you talk about sh!t to cover scent, it is a ritual of mine to stand in cow s**t to scent my runners with it :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Mate a thousand generations of hunter gatherers can't be wrong :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2018, 7:44 am

Marksman, I am sceptical about most of this stuff, but I am certainly picking up some tips here.

I don't eat tuna on the move lol Just at camp :p
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 12 Feb 2018, 8:44 am

If you want a really strong natural smell look for some wombat s**t and stand in that. Its the little squarish more rectangular s**t and is normally on top of a piece of wood or the spanner you left outside.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Feb 2018, 9:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:So, as it says. What do you blokes do to control your scent when hunting? Apart from walking into the wind.

I try not to fart, sadly I'm not very successful at achieving it. :lol: Seriously though I just try and keep the wind in the face, not sure there's really much that will cover the human scent to be honest so wouldn't waste my time on washing clothes in this that and the other or rubbing gum leaves etc all over ones body, just keep the wind in the right direction and you'll be fine.

A little bit of ribbon tied to the front of the barrel works fine as does baby powder or similar in a squeeze bottle for keeping an eye on wind direction/changes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2018, 11:09 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:So, as it says. What do you blokes do to control your scent when hunting? Apart from walking into the wind.

A little bit of ribbon tied to the front of the barrel works fine as does baby powder or similar in a squeeze bottle for keeping an eye on wind direction/changes.

Yes often do that. But wind moves around.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2018, 11:25 am

As a testament to wind direction... I was leaning against a tree, just relaxing and watching stuff... And this fox walked past me, really close, like few metres close. Then it saw me, but wasn't sure what I was, so it started creeping tawards me. Close enough for me to get very uncomfortable. The only thing that made that thing run for dear life, is when I shouldered the rifle and took it off safety. Then it realised I wasn't dinner. All with reasonably strong wind blowing, so I'm guessing it couldn't smell me at all, untill it saw me move.

(I was there for deer, so shooting that fox wasn't an option.
I would shoot a dog, even if it meant end to deer hunt for that half of the day, they are a lot more scary. Heard a few, but never seen though).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Archie » 12 Feb 2018, 11:55 am

juststarting wrote:As a testament to wind direction... I was leaning against a tree, just relaxing and watching stuff... And this fox walked past me, really close, like few metres close. Then it saw me, but wasn't sure what I was, so it started creeping tawards me. Close enough for me to get very uncomfortable. The only thing that made that thing run for dear life, is when I shouldered the rifle and took it off safety. Then it realised I wasn't dinner. All with reasonably strong wind blowing, so I'm guessing it couldn't smell me at all, untill it saw me move.

(I was there for deer, so shooting that fox wasn't an option.
I would shoot a dog, even if it meant end to deer hunt for that half of the day, they are a lot more scary. Heard a few, but never seen though).

I've had similar experience w/ foxes. Although some of those are so used to humans from hanging around properties, so it's maybe only movement that they see as potentially threatening.

The thing with wind is - and of course there is no way I'll ever to be able to prove it one way or the other - it wouldn't surprise me if I don't know if I'm missing deer because of scent control because I suspect that they will frequently be leaving after scenting me without me ever seeing them.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm

Re fox, that was public land and somewhat remote too. Don't think it would be used to humans, but who knows...

Re scent, atually there's definitely a way to demonstrate/have seen it. You're 100% correct, at least from what I've seen.

Couple of people drop down into a gully and wait. Another couple drive up and wait. Radio to walkers to start moving. And you'd see a few make they way out, no panic, just trotting along, but in a 'pattern' and definitely on the move. And then you'd look at a tracker (e.g. rino) and see walkers about 5-10 minutes behind them. So there's definitely evidence to that.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm

P.s. and the walkers never seen or heard anything. Been on both sides of that. Really? How many?! Wow. Didn't see them and didn't hear them.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 12 Feb 2018, 12:39 pm

I do sweet FA about my scent, doesnt seem to matter, swirling winds, other animals and movement seem to matter one hell of a lot more, if youre down wind they arent going to smell you anyway, well not until its too late for them.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

" it wouldn't surprise me if I don't know if I'm missing deer because of scent control because I suspect that they will frequently be leaving after scenting me without me ever seeing them."

Correct. You don't know what you don't know.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

I dont bother too much with control, sitting around the fire and keeping my BO to a minimum is about it, my theory is no matter what you try to do the human scent cannot be masked in the bush to extremely sensitive noses, we just stink, especially those with boozy and fatty western diets.
I think Seinfeld said it best, "You move you stink".
Bigjobss

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey