Question: bringing meat home

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Question: bringing meat home

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Carry-on luggage ... overhead compartment ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Not flying but one of the properties I hunt goats on regularly is a solid 6 hour drive away. I pack a 150 litre esky filled with boned out meat and 3L bottles of ice (milk containers). The less air space the better. I've used this set up in summer in mid to high 30's no worries at all. I normally chuck the bottles in a freezer when I get to the station so they are fully frozen when it's time to head home. I also have two 40L car fridges and when I'm camping I often run one as a freezer for ice, keeps ice blocks for the kids and ice for my scotch........

great idea mate, can't have a nice single malt scotch without ice :drinks: oh, and the milk bottle ice packs in a esky is good too i suppose.... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 15 Feb 2018, 11:22 am

When I hunt on the mainland we take a 500 litre freezer on the back of the ute and a small generator, Plug the freezer into the mains while we are hunting and freeze the meat down as we get it, run the freezer on the generator while we are driving and plug it into the motel rooms when we stop at night. The 12 hour trip back across on the ferry doesn't worry it as it's frozen solid. The last trip was two freezers and over 500kg of meat on the return trip. I will be doing the NT later this year using the same method to bring back a heap of buff meat. Flying wouldn't work as you can't take enough meat to make it worth while.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 2:15 pm

There you go, JS.

1/ Bigger ute (or flat bed tray truck)
2/ Bigger freezer (or refer for the tray)
3/ New generator.....

Hey, we're back to the idea of a Reefer truck! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 2:19 pm

Look up the "techni-ice" website.
You can pack a whole bunch of techni-ice sheets on the load in. Hydrate and freeze them onsite and use them on the load out.
Weight for weight they are FAR more effective than ice because they will freeze down to what ever temperature your freezer will go whereas ice will only ever be around -2deg (salted water).
They are designed for commercial use. I've used them for years and highly recommend them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey