Help - camel shooting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Help - camel shooting

Post by Tiger650 » 06 Jan 2021, 2:54 pm

I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm

This an old map of properties around the Simpson . Maybe Macumba area is now a National park .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Tiger650 wrote:I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.

My father always said he was a good friend of TE Lawrence back in England . I took it with a grain of salt . But after his death i was going through all his old photos and found one of a guy in a boxing stance in a garden of a house and looked like he was training . I nearly put it thorough the shredder because had no clue who it was . But something tweaked in my brain and it seemed important . Then the hairline and face hit me like a sledge hammer who it was . I have since positively identified it as TE Lawrence when he was fairly young , without the slicked down hair of all the press photos .
This was a personal photo taken privately on a small old fashion camera almost sepia in colour .
Under very close examination of the back of the photo under magnification and ultraviolet light you can just make out , For Doug , or To Doug . That was my fathers name but you can't see it with the naked eye . A professional photographer picked that up . Unfortunately I can't post the photo as it's a rare photo and I'm not giving it away .
When they first made the film Lawrence of Arabia my dad said that he was not killed on a JAP motorbike it was a Brough Superior . He was right .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2021, 5:19 am

JohnV wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:I once heard that T.E. Lawrence [Lawrence of Arabia] was riding into battle on a camel, blazing away at the Turk with a .445" Webley when the camel's head got between the Turk and the muzzle of the Webley.

My father always said he was a good friend of TE Lawrence back in England . I took it with a grain of salt . But after his death i was going through all his old photos and found one of a guy in a boxing stance in a garden of a house and looked like he was training . I nearly put it thorough the shredder because had no clue who it was . But something tweaked in my brain and it seemed important . Then the hairline and face hit me like a sledge hammer who it was . I have since positively identified it as TE Lawrence when he was fairly young , without the slicked down hair of all the press photos .
This was a personal photo taken privately on a small old fashion camera almost sepia in colour .
Under very close examination of the back of the photo under magnification and ultraviolet light you can just make out , For Doug , or To Doug . That was my fathers name but you can't see it with the naked eye . A professional photographer picked that up . Unfortunately I can't post the photo as it's a rare photo and I'm not giving it away .
When they first made the film Lawrence of Arabia my dad said that he was not killed on a JAP motorbike it was a Brough Superior . He was right .

wonderful piece of history . T.E Lawrence's life makes for a interesting read . sadly people like him are lost to modern times :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 08 Jan 2021, 10:31 am

Yeah a very interesting person . Now I believe the stories my dad told me . One thing he told me about TE Lawrence was that even though he was a small man he was very strong and fit and had a very determined tough nature which is born out in his exploits .
Another thing he told me was even though he was offered a lot of wealth and even land in Arabia for his assistance to the Arabs he never took anything and lived in England quite humbly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 09 Feb 2021, 9:00 am

I have never shot a Camel but my Brother-inlaw has shot quite a few when he was a Manager of a road house near Ceduna SA .
He only used a 222 and hit them in the head or neck . I guess that's ok if you can get close enough .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 09 Feb 2021, 9:17 am

Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Feb 2021, 9:25 am

Tiger650 wrote:Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.

That's not what I was told it was a Brough Superior no Jap engine mentioned .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bugman » 09 Feb 2021, 3:03 pm

Never shot a camel.....but smoked one once.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Feb 2021, 7:09 pm

Bugman wrote:Never shot a camel.....but smoked one once.

maybe you should see if they do camel flavour in a vape ......... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Feb 2021, 9:56 am

JohnV wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:Lawrence did die whilst riding a Brough, the Brough almost certainly fitted with a JAP [ J.A Prestwich ] engine.

That's not what I was told it was a Brough Superior no Jap engine mentioned .

Brough did not make their own engines.
Given the time of Lawrence's death it was probably a JAP engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior_SS100
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 11 Feb 2021, 10:39 am

I will take your word on that as JAP engines were never mentioned to me . My father was not a motor cycle person so he probably did not know the difference and neither did I at the time .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey